German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was on my way home from work yesterday and I got a frantic call from my fiance. She said that Ali has horrible diarrhea and that she had pooped all over her crate and needs me home asap.

I got home to a mess but I gave her a bath and cleaned the crate out and figured I would just shampoo the rugs after supper (she had poop tracks from the bedroom to the front door)

Well at around 6pm she started to vomit like you can not imagine, I have never seen a dog vomint so violently in my life! Then it came again 10 min later, it was at that time that we loaded her into the truck and took her to the ER Vet, thank God they are open all night.

The Vet there was nice and I went over Ali's history with her, they took x-rays (5 sets?) gave her fluids and 2 types of meds, one for vomiting and one for diarrhea and told me to follow up with my vet in the morning.

This morning I took her to the vet and they already had all the info from the ER, My vet told me she wants to do a blood test for EPI, that we will do tomorrow morning because she needs to fast for 12 hours.

My question is and I am sorry this is so long, My vet told me she can stay on the same food she is eating now (EVO) as long as she has that enzime on her food? From what I have read on here, I thought I should transition to a lower fat food?

I know there are people on here with EPI dogs and I would like to know what they are feeding them. I was also told that a grain free diet would be best. Any info at all would ease my mind...oh and if she is positive for EPI, will her life span be shorter? Thank You Jeff

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
EPI would not be my first thought either....
Parasite, Virus or "foreign substance" would be where I would start at....but that's me.
JMO...hope she gets better fast.
Robin

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EPI would not be my first thought either....
Parasite, Virus or "foreign substance" would be where I would start at....but that's me.
JMO...hope she gets better fast.
Robin

I have no clue? I will ask them about Giardia tomorrow morning as she is going for bloodwork but I have a 5 day supply of Metronidazole. They took 5 sets of x-rays and said there is no foreign substance but her bowels appear to be "thick" or thickened I think was the word she used. Her heart rate was up but no temp from what I was told.

Maybe some history.....She was given a raw meaty knuckle bone 3 weeks ago and the day later she got the runns really bad, it was also at this time that I changed her food from Orijen to EVO red meat formula, her stools were on and off after the change of food, she would have 5 or 6 days of good stools then have a day of runny stools. She has had a problem since birth putting on weight and is 20lbs under the weight of her sister, She may just be a smaller dog than her sister but if you saw her in person, you would see that she is underweight.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hope Ali is ok, sending positive thoughts her way. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand what projectile vomiting and sudden onset diarrhea have to do with EPI?

How is she today?
Hey I'm no vet and I will ask them whatever questions you guys want me to ask for sure! And I thank you for all the imput.

She is not herself, I took her out in the field for some air and she usually just runs like crazy but she just stayed by my side and when I stoped she would lay down. I didn't stay out long at all and now she is laying on the floor resting.

The vet told me to put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, she ate it but she hates the rice, she eats all the chicken first and goes back 20 or 30 min later for the rice, the poor thing is probably so hungry. She told me to do a bland diet for 5 days and to start mixing her regular food in tomorrow slowly. I honestly want to change the food again but she said not to because this way they can rule out different factors.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry to hear she's feeling so crummy :( For the rice, (you probably know this, but sometimes people don't) are you cooking it with twice the water for twice as long? Then it's more of a mush. My female wasn't a fan of it either, but if I mixed up the mushy rice, chopped chicken and a tablespoon or so of pumpkin she ate it really well, and she was never very interested in food at the best of times.

Hope you're able to get to the bottom of this soon.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Thickening of the bowels would indicate IBD, not EPI. EPI cannot be seen through an x-ray and, as far as I know, does not cause the kind of acute symptoms she had.

As others have mentioned it could certainly be a lot of other things, including HGE, giardia, parvo, lepto and a few other things...

Did the vet do a CBC or just take x-rays? Did they take x-rays because they suspected an obstruction?

I would compile a list of questions for your vet.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thickening of the bowels would indicate IBD, not EPI. EPI cannot be seen through an x-ray and, as far as I know, does not cause the kind of acute symptoms she had.

As others have mentioned it could certainly be a lot of other things, including HGE, giardia, parvo, lepto and a few other things...

Did the vet do a CBC or just take x-rays? Did they take x-rays because they suspected an obstruction?

They took x-rays last night to rule out an obstruction, I guess I will have more answers tomorrow when I go and get the bloodwork done.
If it is giardia I think the meds she is on will help. Can you give a dog an enzyme supplement if they don't have EPI for IBD or would that not help?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am no expert at all but there was no bloody stool, so may not be HGE. And no high temp so may not be lepto but I will for sure ask about all of them, if I had to say anything I would say giardia just because she gets into a lot of things outside on hikes, I always catch her eating poop from all kinds of animals, isn;t there a vac for that?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Denali.....foreign substance can also be a "food" or toxic substance...not just a foreign body obstruction.
Think back for a minute......could she/did she possibly ingest something??...medication, liquid, food source, animal excrement, etc...etc...(ok...I just saw that she has eaten animal feces).
As for feeding her right now.....boil chicken & potatoes....mash them together....they usually like it.
Keep us posted...best wishes.
Robin

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Can you give a dog an enzyme supplement if they don't have EPI for IBD or would that not help?
The digestive enzymes dogs with EPI get are prescription only. I don't think giving her a some regular digestive enzyme would hurt and maybe add some probiotics once you know what is the matter with her but I would check with your vet just to be sure.

If it does turn out to be EPI I would recommend this site, it has a ton of good information: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

I hope she feels better soon.

Michaela

·
Registered
349 Posts

My Labrador was always up to date on all her shots. At 1-1/2 years she all of the sudden started to vomit profusely, diarrhea (sp?) all over the place, lethargic.
She had Parvo. How did she get it? Who knows?! She survived it though and lived another 15 years. Vet thought that due to her being vaccinated and not a little pup any more, that helped her get through it.
Bloodwork usually shows all kinds of answers.
Please let us know the outcome. Fingers crossed for you!
Eileen

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I was wondering why no one had suggested Parvo, that was my first thought but I am not a vet. Usually they have to specifically test for Parvo, or at least that is what I have been told from my vet. There are several strains of parvo some more deadly than other. I had an Alaskan Mal. that had it at 6 mon.
Hope they find out what is wrong soon. best wishes!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok here is what we have so far.

I just got off the phone with the vet and she said that the fecal sample can back negative, no parasites were present and she ruled out Giardia.

As many were saying Parvo, I asked her about it and she said that the dog wasn't showing signs of parvo, no blood in stool, no fever and she is eating. But vets have been wrong before. I guess I will wait and see what the blood test shows.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok here is what we have so far.

I just got off the phone with the vet and she said that the fecal sample can back negative, no parasites were present and she ruled out Giardia.

As many were saying Parvo, I asked her about it and she said that the dog wasn't showing signs of parvo, no blood in stool, no fever and she is eating. But vets have been wrong before. I guess I will wait and see what the blood test shows.
Duchess didn't have blood in the stool, but she did in fact have a fever when she had Parvo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts