German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's going on a about 1 yr since our 6 yr old female Sable has been leaking somewhat. It has gotten worse this summer with wetting to in her bed or when she is sleeping. Did a urine test, all fine. Vet & I decided to try proin. This has helped, but sure don't want to give her this everyday for the rest of her life.

Have narrowed it down to 1/4 or 1/2 of a pill one time a day, every day.

Any suggestions ?

Also, why is this going on with her ? Spayed too early (did at 6 months before 1st heat) ??? If we ever get another female, don't want this to happen to her. :(

Thanks for any advice..............

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
It could be that or it could be that like women, women who definitely are not "fixed", after a certain age, you can leak more easily. I worked with a bunch of 40 something women in my first job in my 20's who loved to horrify me with peeing stories - laughing, crying, sneezing, coughing, etc.

I know someone with a dog on Proin (spayed later in life) and she can taper off and discontinue for some time...

I used it on Kramer at times when he was 15 and it really did help.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jean............. :)

I just worry about keeping her on it for a long time & the effects of keeping her on it ? She has been on it daily for over a month now.

If she doesn't take, will wet big dinner + size puddles in her bed area & licks & licks herself. :( Has herself stained brown now from past licking.

Our Golden lived to be 9, spayed her the same way & she never did this. :confused:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
That sounds like a lot? I sent this to someone - hoping they will post.

Yah, I didn't like having him on it - for him it was an end of life thing so it wasn't that big of a deal, but I understand how it would be for a younger dog - sometimes mine lick their bedding and I freak out thinking it's something else.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Jen, have you tried the synthetic estrogen? It is supposed to be safer for long-term use. Keeta got spay incontinence after she was spayed, around one year of age. I don't know if she did have any heats prior since she was a rescue and I had her a month before spaying her. We tried the synthetic estrogen with her, and it did not work. I opted to not do the proin and just live with the leaking. I went out and bought a carpet cleaner.

At the time I was feeding kibble, and was experimenting with raw. Amazingly, when I switched over to 100% raw, it also helped with controlling the leaking. She still had occasional leaking incidents, but maybe one or two a month, instead of daily, like what Sable has. Switching her back to kibble, even grain-free kibble, or cooked people food all cause the leaking to recur.

I'm finding now that five years later Keeta seems to be leaking more - so I'm interested in trying to find out what else I can do to help her. Here is some good info that I found from a reliable source:
DogAware.com Articles: Incontinence in Dogs

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not heard of synthetic estrogen nor have dealt with any major health issues, thanks goodness.

Jean, Last leaking accident that was plate sz was only a one time thing. She normally leaks more like saucer sz or less. I have been leaving water out all night for her also & think I'm going back to no water at night for crew.

I have no clue on all dog health issues, meds & their uses, + using for long term, that's why I posted. :confused: I'm stumped why this happening & now feel my fault for spaying too early, if that's the cause ? :(

Have noticed tho on Proin, not much leaking nor licking all the time ! Just hate to keep using daily, afraid might cause other health issues ? :confused:

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
We gave the Proin consistently for several months. It then got to the point that we did not have to give it twice a day. We can skip several days now without an incident. Our dog is 15 and has been in renal failure for some time. Her aging and inability to concentrate her urine caused the leaking issues. So far, we have not noticed significant side effects of the med for her. She has been on it for over a year.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In some milder cases, you can try fresh ground flaxseed for a natural phytoestrogen.

Thanks Lisa ! Would like to go the more natural way. ;) Read one link above about corn silk. Now, it's just finding this stuff ! :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dooku is 8 years old and has been on Proin for 3 years. She takes 1/2 of a 50mg pill every other day. She was spayed right after her 1st heat, and started leaking when she was 5 years old. She doesn't have any other health problems besides the incontinence. Just went to the vet for her annual checkup and her blood work came back normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts