German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my boy is 10 months old and I’m not sure if I’m expecting too much from him re command following?

He knows quite a few commands - sit, down, leave, let go, speak, stay, look at me etc. etc. and the one I’m working most on walking is heel.

At this age should be be walking perfectly to heel (with just verbal corrections) or are frequent leash corrections expected? Even with no visual distractions he sometimes starts to pull ahead - probably 20 times on a fast paced 40 min walk?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Taking a dog/puppy for a walk and expecting them to heel the whole time, is not just difficult it's miserable for your dog. What's in it for him?

That being said, there's no reason a 10 month old couldn't heel for 30 minutes, if you trained that extensively at home without distractions, incrementally working your way up in duration. And then slowly introduce distractions.

But that would require a LOT of time and devotion to training. And I'm guessing you haven't done that anyway.

My advice would be to let your dog enjoy himself on the walks, as long as he's not pulling on the leash. Teach heel at home first, and get it rock solid before introducing distractions - scent or sight.

And hey, post a picture!

Reactions: Cigar

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
What is your definition of walking perfectly? What are your expectations for your dog in a heel? If you’ve been training something a long time a certain way and aren’t seeing results, it may be time for you to step back and asses the training you’re doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. I would just like the be able to walk him on a loose leash, but not too far away from me such that he is veering around.

My version of heel with him is that he broadly his mid-body stays aligned to my leg and he has free movement to sniff.

If I don’t enforce heel constantly he will surge forward to the end of the lead and carry on pulling, I then turn around and he surges forward again, I then repeat and for the next minute he will walk to heel - then it happens all over again!

I might try a slightly different training method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts