German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New poster here so take it easy on me 馃檪 I will be breeding my female at the end of this month and I just wanted to get some of y鈥檃lls opinions on progesterone testing. I will be doing a live cover with the stud but because of the difference in locations there will only be a window of a couple days. Has anybody here had good success with it? Or have any brand recommendations? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Registered
When the bleeding is subsiding to a clear or slight pink. When you scratch the base of her tail and she turns her butt towards and holding the tail aside while the vulva is large and moist.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I understand how to tell approximately but I was wondering more about actually testing her progesterone levels. So I would have a more precise indicator of when ovulation will occur to maximize her chance to conceive.

Super Moderator
Find a vet that either sends it out to a lab for same day results or has a reliable in house test. Start at about day 6 to get a baseline reading (at the same time you do the Brucelosis testing) and then every 2-3 days after that depending on how quickly her numbers go up. I have done progesterone testing on all of my litters since my second in 2003 except for my E litter because I went to Germany for that breeding.

Registered
Yes, my vet has a same-day test.

But if you are doing live cover, I might skip it and go by the general rule of thumb for breeding times. I only progesterone tested for AI.

Registered
Yes, my vet has a same-day test.

But if you are doing live cover, I might skip it and go by the general rule of thumb for breeding times. I only progesterone tested for AI.
Visit the male every day if you can so they get used to each other, especially if one of them has never been bred.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much! Y鈥檃ll were very helpful. I think I鈥檓 just going to go with the general baseline for the live cover. But this has been very informative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts