German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I am so proud of Victor tonight. I had company coming over so I knew I had to try some of the ideas suggested to me from my previous thread. I put on his muzzle and used his prong collar( I have not gotten to order the Leerburg yet)and was able to control him. I did have to choke him down though but it worked. He absolutely hated having the muzzle on. We came in and I had everyone settle down did introductions again and success. I took his muzzle off after he calmed down. I let him know that if he gave any problems it was going back on. I believe instead of me putting him in the outside kennel he was able to see our guests and interact with them only after he calmed down. He does not do well when he is kenneled outside. I got him a 48" crate today so if he gets aggressive he can be crated in our bedroom. I am also going to start crating him when I have to go anywhere. He was playing ball with them and just loving all the attention he was getting. It was so nice to see him being loving with others. He really showed everyone why we love him so much. I was so proud of him. I know we are always going to have to be cautious with him and reintroduce everytime but this is such progress with him. I just has to find a way to control him. The muzzle and choke down method worked. I am very thankful for all the suggestions with him. It really saved us.:)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thats great news! I am glad Victor is doing much better!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Excellent job. Victor is lucky to have you for his humans. Hopefully, he'll continue to settle down.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Great news! I hope Victor continues on his road to success.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I know we may never stop his aggression but at least I found a way to control it. I was also told by a friend it takes about 4 months before a dog's body will adjust to a neuter. I wonder if this is true. He has actually been worse with his aggression since the neuter so I wonder if it just has not been enough time? He was neutered in the beginning of Oct. He will also be turning 2 in Feb. I hope all this will help too for toning him down. Any which way he will continue to be a lot of hard work but I don't care he is an awesome dog he just never lets anyone see that but my husband and I. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
what is the "choke down" method you are using?

·
Registered
682 Posts
That is great news and what is even more important is that he had a positive experience from it, soon he will or may think everyone wants to play ball with me! Good rehab your doing.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats great news! i'm glad you've figured out a method that works. keep up the good work and way to go Victor!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the "choke down" method you are using?

I was suggested this method on my other thread by KZoppa. It may seem harsh but he has to be calmed when guests first arrive or he will lunge for people in a frenzy mode. I can't just pop his leash. He is absolutely in a frenzy mode when people enter. I had to tighten his prong collar and kinda take him close to the ground as guests were entering our yard. Once they got inside I brought him up and held him collar tight until he was calm. His issues are when people enter his area he goes into attack mode and I have never been able to control him before. This time with me doing this--success.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was suggested this method on my other thread by KZoppa. It may seem harsh but he has to be calmed when guests first arrive or he will lunge for people in a frenzy mode. I can't just pop his leash. He is absolutely in a frenzy mode when people enter. I had to tighten his prong collar and kinda take him close to the ground as guests were entering our yard. Once they got inside I brought him up and held him collar tight until he was calm. His issues are when people enter his area he goes into attack mode and I have never been able to control him before. This time with me doing this--success.

I guess if it works then good for you but in my experience, tension usually creates tension..but as I have said if it worked for you that's great.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Leslie I'm glad it worked. Had i known about leerburg when i had a reactive/aggressive dog myself, i totally would have gotten that collar i told you about. The method works. It may seem harsh but it provides enough of a distraction to redirect the dog. I'm glad i remembered it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I guess if it works then good for you but in my experience, tension usually creates tension..but as I have said if it worked for you that's great.

when i learned about it, it was a last resort option. Its not usually a method suggested unless other efforts at training havent worked. Its one of those suggestions that work for dogs who like Victor enter in that frenzy mode and cant be broken from it. Most dogs will get the message after a little while that if they behave better, it wont be needed.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i learned about it, it was a last resort option. Its not usually a method suggested unless other efforts at training havent worked. Its one of those suggestions that work for dogs who like Victor enter in that frenzy mode and cant be broken from it. Most dogs will get the message after a little while that if they behave better, it wont be needed.
It absolutely was our last resort--so true I had tried everything else. I don't think I am going to have to use it for long because he responded immediately to this. He calmed faster once we got in the house and did introductions. I have tried everything to stop his frenzy mode and this has been the only thing that has worked.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leslie I'm glad it worked. Had i known about leerburg when i had a reactive/aggressive dog myself, i totally would have gotten that collar i told you about. The method works. It may seem harsh but it provides enough of a distraction to redirect the dog. I'm glad i remembered it.
I tried to do the measurements for the collar but I got a really small measurement for him so I don't think I did it right. I am waiting for my husband to get back from a job to let him look at the video before I order one. I can't seem to get the measurement stuff right. He wears like a 20" collar and I got a measurement of like 10" and I believe the Belgian Mal. in the video had a 13" and I know Victor is way bigger than the Belgian Mal. so it just did not seem right. :confused: I don't know.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
good job,,I'm all for whatever works, and since this worked, I'd keep doing what your doing:))

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
It absolutely was our last resort--so true I had tried everything else. I don't think I am going to have to use it for long because he responded immediately to this. He calmed faster once we got in the house and did introductions. I have tried everything to stop his frenzy mode and this has been the only thing that has worked.

thats great! immediate response is wonderful. generally after a few times, they're supposed to realize they shouldnt act that way and start responding better to situations. Always a work in progress of course but as long as it works, he should start responding at least a little better.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I tried to do the measurements for the collar but I got a really small measurement for him so I don't think I did it right. I am waiting for my husband to get back from a job to let him look at the video before I order one. I can't seem to get the measurement stuff right. He wears like a 20" collar and I got a measurement of like 10" and I believe the Belgian Mal. in the video had a 13" and I know Victor is way bigger than the Belgian Mal. so it just did not seem right. :confused: I don't know.

yeah that does sound off. hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I left Victor crated this time instead of leaving him in the outside kennel and he did absolutely wonderful.The outside kennel just seems to agitate him. He seems cool with being crated in the house instead of being in an outside kennel when I am gone. On the other hand I think I am going to have to start putting Jamie in the outside kennel because she seems to not do so well crated. This kennel is completely secure and safe and also inside another fenced in area so she will be ok. She seems to be good with being outside as to Victor doesn't. Jamie and Victor are completely two different personalities that is for sure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Great news! London had a spell of "fear aggression" at that age and I had to continually work with him. I spent tons of time socializing him: taking him to the dog-friendly mall, continuing the obedience classes, leaving him at a very nice kennel while on vacation, enrolling him in day care. All of these methods have helped him overcome his fear and insecurities. I still do much of these techniques, because I feel that he would slip back if he did not continually socialize. Plus, we both enjoy it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not sure if what Im about to say will help you or not or if you've already done it but sometimes Helios (8MO) will go into a frenzy mode too when he sees someone entering our garage and what you're doing with victor has worked with helios too. I Can't just pop his leash neither so what I usually do is make him sit and if he's so focus on whoever is entering our house that he won't listen to the command i'll "choke him" in order to make him sit ( im using a Fur saver and I've read that they aren't used for corrections but yet it works for me). I've noticed that this method works but what have really worked for me is tiring him out (sp?) before someone is coming to the house. I don't wait to see if he will go into a frenzy mode with whoever is coming instead If I know that they're already outside I go out and take helios with me to play fetch while my mom goes inside with the visitors. When I notice that he's kinda "tired" (normally takes like 10-15 minutes of fetch) I go back to my house and Ill slowly walk him in and If I notice that he's about to react I stop and make him focus on me and then I keep walking by the time we get to the room with the visitors he's fine I make him go down and that's it.

This morning my mother's friend came today and I didn't really remember she was coming by the time she arrived i was waking up :laugh: I leashed helios and went to the living room he started lunging when he saw My mother's friend but he wasn't really into that "Frenzy mode" he'd listen to the commands but yet He was deeply staring at my mother's friend so I decided to go out, I played fetch with him for about 15minutes by the time i came back to the house he could careless about my mother's friend he didn't even lunge/bark or did anything he's not suppose to:)

Though He's always leashed when someone is in our house I don't trust him yet since he's not used to having people around our house. It's not the same aggression as Victor but I thot that It may help.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts