German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a few professional trainers for quotes on obedience training for my GSDs. Every single one of them said they needed to see my dogs first before they could give me an estimate. My question is, what would they be looking to see in the dogs? What type of test (if any) is given to the pups?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
885 Posts
thats weird...i would think if your looking for obedience training it would be a flat rate...especially for puppies

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Are you looking to do a board and train? Or planning on attending the classes with your dog weekly?

If it is a board and train, I would assume they are possibly wanting to know about the temperment of your dog(s?) and how quickly they may take to training. A lot would depend on methods used also.

They really may just be trying to figure out if they want to work with you lol *shrug*

I don't do board and train (believe it is a waste of people's time [mine] and money [theirs]) but I do group classes and private lessons.

Unless there is an aggression issue, I really have no need to see the dog before class. For private lessons, I let the person know when they are calling about a behavior problem, I really can't help them over the phone. So often, the owner thinks he has problem X, but in reality when I see the dog and what is going on it's problem W lol

Just my thoughts on your question...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: Professional Trainers: What are they looking f

Often it is not just obedience training that needs to happen, and a trainer can find out that they will actually be doing behavior mod for more serious issues that will require much more time.

Either way, you should want to meet with the trainer first to get an idea of them as well. Usually a consult is free, and it is normal practice for many trainers.

They should have some kind outline of the way they charge though. Make sure to use a trainer that is legit. There are a lot of people that think they know how to train because they had a dog once! It is scary. They should be a member of the APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) and may have other certifications. They should definitely have references. It's worth asking for, even if you don't call, to make sure that they are on the up and up.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
TO add to what Achielles CDX said, your question is kind of hard to answer as the term "professional trainer" can cover an extremely wide range of experience.

Maybe if you can respond to what you were looking at/expecting from these "professional trainers" you contacted, others may give you some ideas. Was it a group class setting, board and train (i.e. the trainer training your dog and not training you), private lessons for obedience, protection, competition?

Also if you put your general location in your profile or this thread, you might find folks here who could give you some recommendations as well.

WHomever, just as they may be telling you they want to see the dog, you should get the opportunity to watch them during a few of their training sessions-if they don't allow that, keep looking.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Let them come see your dog and meet with you.

They probably want to see your dog, evaluate temperament and see what training the dog has already had.

From your point of view, you can interview them and learn about how they train and see their demeanor with your dog.

Not all trainers are equal... you need to be comfortable with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts