German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

My name is Rob and I am a staff sergeant in the US Army stationed in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. I am a lifelong GSD enthusiast. I am currently without dog (though my wife still has one), largely thanks to my situation with the military; I am ETSing (getting out) in a little less than a year, so I decided it would be a prudent decision to wait until I'm out and settled before getting another dog.

Another reason I'm holding off on getting a new dog is thanks to the birth of my first son, who is named Robbie. I figured that raising a baby and a furbaby at the same time wouldn't be... ideal. Thank doG for that decision!

For dogs, I tend to favor Eastern bloc working line dogs. I'm probably going to get my next pup from kennel Truehaus in a year or so. I favor Esko/Kalli from them.

With my current lack of dogs, my focus has been on the other group of animals for which I care, fish.

I'm currently the staff expert on macropredatory characins (piranha, payara, wolf fish, African tiger fish, etc) over at Monster Fish Keepers, the largest freshwater aquarium related website with over 100,000 members.

My current pets are as follows:
Mad Max, a Goliath African tiger fish-
*** Image removed by ADMIN due to size - max picture size allowed 800 X 600 ***
Drogo, a black arowana-
Ginger, a flash zebra catfish-

Dottie, a dwarf goonch-

So why am I a prodigal son? Well, I've been around this community for about 12 years. However, about eight years ago, thanks to a combination of immaturity, ignorance, insecurity and one tasteless joke, I created a situation in which I would not be able to participate on the site. Naive though I was at the time, I could at least see that I was no longer welcome, so I excused myself from the site quietly.

I am hoping that after eight years of shaping on the cold, hard anvil of military life, I now have the maturity and fortitude to be able to prove myself as a productive member and once again be accepted into the community.

Why would anyone bring that up? I'm staff on another huge website. I know as well as anyone that no matter what, the truth will come out in the end. I'd rather be up front about it now.

I look forward to a productive exchange of information with you all.

Again. :)

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Welcome back! You are smart to wait until your son is older to get a puppy. The fish are neat and look like they have a high drive :) Enjoy the forum.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Welcome back! Sorry about the pics - they were just gorgeous but HUGE! Can you resize and repost them? I love fish, will be looking to seeing more pics and more interesting info about them.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I love MFK!! While I don't have BIG fish I do eventually want a BIG tank - maybe 300-400 gallons - so I can load it with lots of little fish. I have been researching a DIY plywood tank and DH said he'd help build one. Right now I have a 55 gal with assorted fish - Platys, Guppies, a couple Gourami, a huge Pleco and such.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Welcome. It sounds like you're making good decisions...waiting until you are settled and waiting until the baby is older.

Thanks for your service to our country. Good luck with finding your new companion.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Welcome back from Orange County. I appreciate your service to our country. It sounds like you are making wise decisions about the new puppy. What kind of dog does your wife have?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Rob..... I remember you! :) Welcome back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome back! You are smart to wait until your son is older to get a puppy. The fish are neat and look like they have a high drive :) Enjoy the forum.
They are VERY high prey drive! lol... The arowana will bite my fingers at times

Welcome back! Sorry about the pics - they were just gorgeous but HUGE! Can you resize and repost them? I love fish, will be looking to seeing more pics and more interesting info about them.
Thank you, and it would be my pleasure to resize them. Please forgive my oversite. I'd be happy to share more stuff about my fish :)

Welcome to the forum.

I love MFK!! While I don't have BIG fish I do eventually want a BIG tank - maybe 300-400 gallons - so I can load it with lots of little fish. I have been researching a DIY plywood tank and DH said he'd help build one. Right now I have a 55 gal with assorted fish - Platys, Guppies, a couple Gourami, a huge Pleco and such.
MFK is an awesome site! I've learned so much there its not even funny. A plywood tank is surprisingly easy, I'm working on one right now. I'm held up in looking for a cheap source of glass. I've recently hatched the scheme of trying to get someone's old sliding glass door for a sheet of glass. I figure I could probably pick that up for cheap or free! My plywood tank is a budget build lol... I couldn't afford 500 gallons otherwise!

Welcome. It sounds like you're making good decisions...waiting until you are settled and waiting until the baby is older.

Thanks for your service to our country. Good luck with finding your new companion.
Thank you, ma'am. :) It is my pleasure

Welcome back from Orange County. I appreciate your service to our country. It sounds like you are making wise decisions about the new puppy. What kind of dog does your wife have?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The wife has a GSD as well. I like to pick on her, but in reality is all in love. She got, erm, fluffy after she was fixed and instead of saying I'm going to take her out to potty, I tell her I'm taking her out to pasture. She's a sweet girl.

Rob..... I remember you! :) Welcome back.
Haha I figured some would. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
Rob, welcome back to the site...and I echo others posts, thank you for your service!
I look forward to the reposts of the fish photo's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts