German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesse is currently 5.5 months old has been socialized since he was 8 weeks old, with people of all nations and ages, animals of all kinds, places, everything was going good till last Friday when neighborhood kids came over 8 of them in total and surrounded Jesse, and he accidently got hurt by a 5 year old girl. Now when he sees kids he hides behind me or tries to crawl up on me. I have taken a new way of trying to deal with it, I have gotten really good dried chicken pieces (he loves but doesn'tget very much of) and I hand them out to kids and get them to give it to Jesse (open handed) while making him do something (ie. give a paw, sit, down). After days of doing this, he is only ok when getting the treats but before and after that is done he hides behind me. Anything else I should do about this?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Why were 8 neighborhood kids SURROUNDING your puppy? Your job was to protect your puppy. How was he hurt? What happened, exactly?

You will need to keep desensitizing the dog and fill his memory with good experiences... take him to parks and let him WATCH the kids. Don't necessarily have them come over. And if they do, only 1-2 at a time, not a group of 8. Don't let a group like that surround him.

Put yourself in his shoes... what would you do if 8 giants came and surrounded you, and then one of them hurt you?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesse has been going to the parks where there are 2 schools on the other side and he has watched them for 16 weeks and has good interactions with kids as well. All these kids in the neighborhood have played with Jesse for the last week or so with balls and sticks, and he has run up to them previously and kisses them, but Friday instead they came over to pet him and the 5 year old threw a stick for Jesse (farther than he could reach) and he ran for it, hit the end of his long lead (which he was tied up on) and the 5 year old (who was running for stick cause she knew she threw it too far) fell over Jesse's head and he yelp and was scared of her right away. Now afraid of all kids. Today I took him to the park during kids lunch hours there had to be 200 kids in the park playing, screaming, he just watches but two girls came over nicely asked me if they could pet him, they were careful and gentle but he was scared of them, I gave the chicken pieces they fed him which was fine but right after hid behind me, so I told them he has had enough for today.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Unfortunately, with pups of this age it only takes one or two bad experiences to cause a serious setback in socialization and sometimes create a life long phobia. Being mobbed by a large group of children can easily scare a puppy, especialy if the puppy is hurt by one of them, as Jesse was. His reaction is not uncommon, and unfortunately this one bad situation means you now have a lot of work to do to help him recover from it.

You need to start over from square one socializing him around children, and never, ever again let him get intimidated or frightened of children, much less hurt by one. That means that if he is comfortable with them at 15 feet away, but starts getting uneasy or scared with them at 10 feet away, keep them at 15 feet away for right now. Do not push him into a situation where he feels uncomfortable. And do not allow children to approach him. Have them hang back and let HIM approach THEM if he wants to. But do not force it. If he doesn't want to approach, have them toss him treats from a few feet away, and leave it at that. He'll know the goodies are coming from them but won't be forced into an uncomfortable situation. Everything must be 100% positive, with no negative associations whatsoever.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Ok, it doesn't sound like the NUMBER of kids is the issue.

It was an accident - they happen. I have tripped over my dogs as puppies.

Did the 5 yr old cry or yell when she fell over the dog?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope the 5 years old girl did not get hurt only Jesse. Ok I will follow Chris Wilds advice, and thank you for it. Actually last night on a walk a mother and a child and a dog came over to see Jesse and he was very good and the child stayed back so he was not bad with that kid, another kid showed up and I told him to stay back and let Jesse come to him. Which Jesse did and was fine. So no more kids coming to Jesse just let Jesse go to them if he wants. Neighborhood kids will be disappointed to hear this.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My boy was hit in the head with an apple by a kid. No one saw it coming and it set Quinn back for about two weeks but he seems to have forgotten the incident. He was also about 5.5 mnths

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
My Dobie was like this with my neighbor at the time. We lived in a townhouse, so our front porches were only about 10 feet apart. He did not have a dog of his own and wanted to interact with her SO BAD!! She was pretty timid of people to begin with, but I started giving him chewy treats that she loved (and I reserved these only for him to give her, no one else) and he started out by tossing them to her from his porch while she and I were on my porch. As days went on, he would toss them closer to himself and this would make her have to go closer to him to get it. We did this slowly and would carry on a conversation ourselves, ignoring her, as she tried to get up the courage to move closer to him every couple days. After about a month, he simply held a flat hand out to her with a treat in it while we talked. It took about 5 days of him sitting there with a dog treat in his hand for a good hour or so before she would get close enough to snatch it from him and run. LoL. All in all it took her about 2 months to trust him and eventually she would whine at our front door when the neighbor was out until she got to go out and sit with him (regardless if I went with or not) and she would actually climb all 75 pounds of herself into his lap and sit with (on) him.

Maybe the kids would start taking walks with you guys, but just one or two kids at a time and they could carry treats and hand him one every so often. If he is not ready for that yet, maybe just take him out to watch the kids play and get used to their screaming and noises again first.

It is SOOO time consuming to socialize dogs, but it is also SOOO important. I learned this with my Doberman as she was the first dog I ever had a hard time being around other people with.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update I told the kids on the street not to crowd him anymore and only one kid at a time and let Jesse come to them, and give them treats to give him too. He is not afraid of them anymore. Wow he got out of his fear fast but I think if they all crowded him again he would get fearful. Thank got it didn't backtrack completely just a little bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts