German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here, and came because I am having problems with my new german shepherd...

So my story is that I already have a west highland terrier, and 2 weeks ago I got a german shepherd as a gift and it is around 4-5monthes old. the problem is after 2 weeks the german shepherd (bucks) is still afraid of me. So I wake up in the morning he comes to see me he's happy and plays a bit etc... then nothing I call him he doesn't come, if he's sitting somewhere and I move him towards him he acts as being afraid and goes to hide. Some of the times he comes and sleeps under my feet and lets me caress him and everything but that's it. He's really acting weird, I love german shepherds and dogs in general but if he's really unhappy here I would prefer sending him to somewhere where he'll be happy... Any advice would be really appreciated cause I am really getting frustrated.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
How have you punished the dog? Does it have a reason to be afraid of you? Some dogs don't handle corrections well and any yelling, collar grabbing, or other aversive will negatively impact the dog. It's only been two weeks so the little guy needs time to learn to trust you anyway. I would act like a walking treat dispenser for now and do nothing but play, love, and give the dog treats to earn your trust. Go for long walks, make it a point to keep the dog in the same room with you, and be gentle. In a month or so you can worry about training after the guy trusts and has bonded with you:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never punished him in any any way just when he tries to bite me I get my voice a bit higher, other than that nothing at all I am so gentle with him... Didn't try to train him either I know it needs some time to start with that, just come hehe well now that u're saying it is normal I am relaxed. I had a german shepherd before like 18 years ago I don't remember he took that time to adapt... Maybe it is just that I remember wrong, or that he had a different character.
Thanks in all cases

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
With the dog already being 5 months old it was already used to a different home, owners, and routine. He'll adjust soon enough:)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
new pup

Puppies go through a fearful phase at about that age. The fact that he comes to you on his own and stays with you is very good. Let him do all the approaching. Since he is a little older than the 'best' age to adopt, he already has a past. He is probably slow to let go of his loyalty to his previous owner and not yet ready to give you his trust. As far as I'm concerned, this is the sign of a good dog. Shepherds generally don't give their hearts away easily, so it is very rewarding when you finally can call them 'yours'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks guys, really.

He shows many good signs like even nagging a bit when he can't approach me or something that's what even looked even weirder ... well that's all thanks again guys

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is he teething,he might be in pain.Also if you dont know his background,maybe someone else has been too hard on him and caused him to be wary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I am sure where he was he hadn't any problems, the person who gave it to me as a gift is a real german shepherd lover, and I know how he is with them, and other animals even, he has like 4 german shepherds and 4 puppies 1 of these puppies is mine, so bucks was living with his mother aunts and even his grand mother. As for teething I don't know if he's teething, how could I know?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He may have had a bad experience with his previous owner. It only takes one to imprint them. Find a really yummy treat and give him any time you approach him and he approaches you. Make everything fun and happy for him!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol that's what I am doing, but treats are disappearing so fast as I can't let the westie jealous neither so at each time Bucks approaches me or does a good thing or anything I am being obliged to give both a treat:D very nice...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have a look at his teeth,are they thin needle like thing's,sorry i just had some flashback's.Are his gum's red and swollen.Have you tried lying on the floor at his level to see if he comes to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess that yeah a bit for his teeth, not so much though seems like he just finished or something, could I know his real age because of this... as for lying on the ground never tried it, I do get down on my knees yeah and I remark that the possibility that he comes when I am this way is bigger than if I am standing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3 weeks now, and he's still a bit the same, maybe a bit better... Are you sure we're on the good trail? I am leaving him come to me etc... I am not pressuring him at all. Any new ideas?

·
Registered
492 Posts
If he's still adjusting then just give him time. If he did have a bad experiance in the past you might need to do some more conditioning to have him come around. You would follow the same steps you have been in offering treats but you would reward the smallest of steps and work up to the desired behavior. For example, he takes a step towards you, you treat. He looks up at you and wags his tail, you treat. As he gets better with little steps, you start to treat after two steps, then three, etc. The key is to work slow and don't push him into anything he doesn't want to do. Make sure everything is fun and happy with all your interactions. He's still fairly young so he should come around fairly quickly under positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
When you wake up with pup what do you do with him? For instance I wake up with my dogs at 7:00 and let them out for potties, feed them, let them back out for potties, get the kids up and ready, and then walk both dogs off leash playing fetch. Then I take the dogs and kids to school, come home and crate dogs, and go to work for 4-5 hrs. When I get home I take the dogs to go get the kids, do HW with kids and start dinner. Then we all go out and play for an hour or so before eating. After dinner and cleaning we go back out to play and settle in for the evening. The point is the dogs go everywhere with me and my routine revolves around them,lol but the more time you can spend with your pup the quicker they usually take to you. Find out what your pup likes- maybe fetch with a ball or stick, tug, flirt pole, and other doggie games to show him you are his buddy:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, I am always giving him treats and everything... I am giving him treats for every little thing he does good... Well we'll see... Hope you're right guys

·
Registered
492 Posts
Zoeys mom brings up a good point. Does he play with you? Or is he too afraid to interact on that level? Even if he's scared to play, roll balls in front of him, throw toys in the air, etc. Get him riled up, and play with him a lot. Once he focuses on having fun, he will have a harder time focusing on anything else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts