German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm having a few problems with my 10 week old puppy Winter. The main one is her toilet training which I've posted in another thread.

I'm also having problems regarding her behaviour. She has around 2 times of the day, morning and ALL evening, where she goes bat s*** crazy. I know all puppies do this, but it's getting out of control and my patience is wearing thin, as much as I hate to admit it :(

She does the usual puppy stuff, hanging on our clothes, snapping at any part of us she can every time we move, or even when we don't. I can't play with her as she constantly lunges at me. I seem to be forever telling her no, yelping and ignoring her. She doesn't bite hard as I've used a can of coins or a spray bottle up until now, but it's getting worse, and fast. The coins and spray just get her more excited than ever. She runs around the room so fast her feet barely touch the floor. Last night she crashed into the wall so hard she hurt her leg and was crying and limping. She was okay after a lie down and a hug and seems fine still today. So I am also worried about her hurting herself.

I think I am not tiring her out enough. She can't go out yet as she's not completed her vaccinations. We were doing really well with clicker training and she loved it. But now she gets over excited and just wants to bite everything, and doesn't listen. I can only do the training with her when she is tired, and that is rarely. She only sleep properly when she's in her crate at night and for an hour usually during the afternoon, as I don't like locking her in it very often.

I think we need to get back to basics. How can I tire her out so that she doesn't go so crazy in the house? Any advice is appreciated x

·
Registered
309 Posts
What do you have access to? We let Callie in our back yard where there were no other animals before she completed her shots. (I know, probably not the smartest idea) we walked her, supervised her, rolled her the ball (which she showed no interest in until recently). Sometimes we just let her be out on our back deck that was screened in because she loved to watch the birds or leaves blowing. I also always mention the food cube. Challanging her mind is good too.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
She's still a baby, you can't expect much right now. My trainer always says "you don't want your puppy to think his/her name is NO". Take the deep breath stuff a stuffy toy in her mouth and smile, you have a long ways to go! Unfortunately patience is an absolute must with a puppy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

She has one of those food balls which she loves and we use often. I have let her in my garden before, and she loved it.

The problem is I'm in the UK and it gets dark around 5pm here. Her crazy time is after that and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her out when I can't see her. My garden is pretty big and there is a place at the back where she may be able to squeeze through a gap. I usually stand there to make sure she doesn't and have someone coming to fix it next week, but I still wouldn't like her to be out when I can't see her, being so young.

·
Registered
577 Posts
....I think I am not tiring her out enough....I think we need to get back to basics. How can I tire her out so that she doesn't go so crazy in the house? Any advice is appreciated x
Even negative attention is positive attention for a puppy of this age! The coin can thing will just make things worse because even though you are annoyed at her and trying show it, she just sees it as "Weeeee! I'm getting loads of loud attention!"

As you are very well aware by now, GSD's are very very bitey at this age. This is still an ongoing battle between me and my girl too. I found a time out room to be helpful when she gets too sharky/bitey. The bathroom or some other really boring room is great. Pup gets too bitey...you say "NO BITE" and firmly place her in the boring room and close the door...leave her for 20-30 seconds before letting her out. This usually calms them down a bit because they hate being put away from all the action.

As regards ways to wear your pup out. I saw on a different thread you posted that you do a school run. Is there any chance she could come with you? My girl has her massive burst of energy in the morning and evening too and I take her on our school run and walk part of the way. The walk each way really helps wear her out a bit. If I can't take her, I do a session of fetch in the garden instead.

The problem is I'm in the UK and it gets dark around 5pm here. Her crazy time is after that and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her out when I can't see her. My garden is pretty big and there is a place at the back where she may be able to squeeze through a gap. I usually stand there to make sure she doesn't and have someone coming to fix it next week, but I still wouldn't like her to be out when I can't see her, being so young.
I'm in Ireland....these long nights are a pain, aren't they? So I've invested in heaps of different toys for indoors to keep Juno entertained and occupied. Stuffed Kongs, stuffed animals, and lots of squeaky toys that I can throw around the room for her and wear her out in the evening are all great to have on hand.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
More than learning "NO" (for which she is still too young to understand anyways, as others have said), what your puppy needs is appropriate outlets for her energy and need to play.

Take her out on a line, and get her to chase you. Get her to chase a rag. Make a flirt pole, pups love it! If she is busy playing with you, she won't be looking for places to squeeze out under the fence.

Here is a cute video I found on You Tube of puppies being exercised with a flirt pole: You can easily make a similar one for Winter.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Take her out on a line, and get her to chase you. Get her to chase a rag. Make a flirt pole, pups love it! If she is busy playing with you, she won't be looking for places to squeeze out under the fence.

Here is a cute video I found on You Tube of puppies being exercised with a flirt pole: You can easily make a similar one for Winter.
That is so cool! I've never seen a flirt pole before for dogs. What does that kid have on the end of his? I gotta make one of these!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I live on the north side of a mountain and right now, even though it's dark at 5pm everywhere, it's dark sooner here because we're in a hollow. Can you find a stable, well-adjusted adult dog who can play with the pup a bit during the day? It really helps tire them out and gives them a biting outlet.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
That is so cool! I've never seen a flirt pole before for dogs. What does that kid have on the end of his? I gotta make one of these!

To me it looks like a stuffed tube sock. :) Some people will tie a soft toy, or a tuggy toy, or a rag to the end. It can be anything your dog will want to chase and catch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd love to take her on the school run, but it is a 2.5ish mile round trip and I've been advised that will be too far for her for quite a while.

I saw the flirtpole somewhere before, but I read the GSD puppies shouldn't be encouraged to jump and thought this would encourage it. But I'll look into making one, thank you :D

She has the biggest toy collection of any dog I've ever seen. She has Kong toys, teddies, squeeky things, chews, those nylabone things, treat balls. You name it lol. Nothing seems to tire her out though. I'm constantly throwing balls for her, playing tug, hide and seek. The only thing that seems to tire her out is running around the garden. I think I'm going to have to do it with a lead and a torch in the evenings as that's the worst time.

My next door neighbour has what seems like a very friendly dog. I don't know her well though. Perhaps I should speak to her about introducing them :)

Yes I hate hate hate these dark nights. I can't wait until spring, summer and autumn!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Join the club! I have all kinds of scars from the biting and just got a couple of new ones last weekend. My dog, who is almost ten months, was acting like an utter brat. Sheesh! These puppies can drive you insane!

You are absolutely right about needed to burn energy. Flirt poles are amazing. I created a super simple one using a leash with a stuffed animal tied to one end.

Focus on getting through this! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I saw the flirtpole somewhere before, but I read the GSD puppies shouldn't be encouraged to jump and thought this would encourage it. But I'll look into making one, thank you :D
Just keep the tug toy down close to the ground. That will encourage her to run after it, instead of jumping up for it. Let her catch it and tug with her, then let her win. The game will be more rewarding and satisfying if she wins, and then she will want to play again.

One thing I noticed looking through some random videos of people using flirt poles to play with their pups, is that if the dog caught it, they made the pup give it up right away. This caused confusion in the dog, making them think that they were not supposed to catch it in the first place? Then I saw hesitation to start chasing again, and didn't bite down very hard the next time they caught it.

I know that people DON'T want their dogs to bit hard, but this is a TOY, and it gives a completely acceptable and rewarding outlet for their need to play fast and furious in an appropriate manner. Let the pup catch their flirt pole toy, tug with them, and let them win! Make a big deal out of it. Make them feel like they really accomplished something great, it will help build their confidence.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You know I have done a lot of tug play and flirt pole play with Beau and after a few weeks he never put his mouth on ME. He has tons of drive.

Also once he got those first shots I got him out in the world. I know there is some risk but there is a narrow window for socializing to all those odd things the dog will encounter in life. ....... if the whole world is good between 10 weeks and 16 weeks I think it helps it be good for along time to come.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I'd love to take her on the school run, but it is a 2.5ish mile round trip and I've been advised that will be too far for her for quite a while.

She has the biggest toy collection of any dog I've ever seen. She has Kong toys, teddies, squeeky things, chews, those nylabone things, treat balls. You name it lol. Nothing seems to tire her out though. I'm constantly throwing balls for her, playing tug, hide and seek. The only thing that seems to tire her out is running around the garden. I think I'm going to have to do it with a lead and a torch in the evenings as that's the worst time.

My next door neighbour has what seems like a very friendly dog. I don't know her well though. Perhaps I should speak to her about introducing them :)

Yes I hate hate hate these dark nights. I can't wait until spring, summer and autumn!
I think you're right and your puppers needs lots more exercise! A flirt pole is GREAT FUN and as Castlemaid said, all you have to do is keep the toy low to the ground. No jumping. Definitely get that space in the fence fixed, so you won't be stressed about that and can enjoy your space. If it is that dark, can you install some lighting? It's worth the investment, since winter will come around again next year. :D

Is there *anywhere* you can think of that is fenced, secure? A baseball or soccer park? Anything? A neighbor or friend's fenced yard? You will wear the dog out far better and faster allowing her to be offleash and playing, chasing, running. Who cares if it's dark as long as it is secure.

.... Also once he got those first shots I got him out in the world. I know there is some risk but there is a narrow window for socializing to all those odd things the dog will encounter in life. ....... if the whole world is good between 10 weeks and 16 weeks I think it helps it be good for along time to come.
Agree! I'm not saying I recommend it, but within a couple days of my pup coming home, I was out with him. He was walking the trails offleash with me @ 11 weeks. I've seen another dog on said trail exactly twice, I believe, so fairly low risk, but still a risk... but one that was worth it to me. At 12 weeks, he had his first camping trip. I guess what I'm trying to say is, measure the risk. A dog park would be MUCH too much of a risk, but other environments are low risk and high reward in terms of exercise AND exposure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I thought I had replied to this! I think I tried to squeeze a reply in whilst my puppy was sleeping but she woke and I didn't get time to do it lol.

She's been walking with me around a mile or so the last 2 days, or having a long play in the garden and it's really helping. I'm also noticing an improvement in her temperament as she gets used to more and more of our surroundings. I'm also finding the more time I spend with her the better the relationship we have. I was spending most of my time with her, but also trying to squeeze things in during the day. I've found it's better now if I forget my entire life until she goes to bed at 10pm haha. She obviously needs ALL my focus for now.

I've been looking around for a flirt pole and can't find one to buy, unless they are sold under a different name? I'll hopefully go to town next week and buy the bits and pieces and attempt to make one, although it will probably end up just a few sticks and ropes for her to play with.

x

·
Registered
950 Posts
The flirt poles are something you make yourself. I actually just used a piece of rope and a toy. :) The pup won't care what it is, as long as she can chase it!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Sigh* She is driving us crazy at the minute. We were having a good weekend, but now she's constantly biting me and my kids no matter what we do. My kids won't even come downstairs today.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have a crate but 1) I've been out for most of today and she hasn't had much of my attention and 2) Within 5 minutes of going in her crate she will poop everywhere, sit in it and somehow fling it through the bars. :(:(:(

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
From 8 weeks to 4 months, No is the most important word in my vocabulary. I have 13 week old male here know that is not for the faint of heart....but he already knows NO means stop doing whatever you are doing....whether it is biting, pulling clothes off of chair or bed, jumping up on things, jumping up on people in the house,(still will jump up on another person in public as the intervention comes from me instead of them).....but patience and firmness will win the war every time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts