German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a puppy in 2011 from a breeder I found. The puppy is AKC accepted, I was sent the forms to fill out to register the puppy. However, I misplaced it and I recall the AKC giving me a hard time. They told me that the original application needs to be resent to the "liter owner". I tried calling her yesterday and left her a voicemail she hasn't returned my call.

In the event that I can't contact her for some reason. How can I reason with the AKC? All the information from the sire and dam is on file with the liter owner, but they're very by the book. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
The longer you wait to register a dog in this type of situation, where you bought it as a puppy, I'm assuming, the higher the fee is 'to' register.

Is there a specific reason you want to register the dog now, 2 years later?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The longer you wait to register a dog in this type of situation, where you bought it as a puppy, I'm assuming, the higher the fee is 'to' register.

Is there a specific reason you want to register the dog now, 2 years later?
I was trying to decide on the name. (full name) This was when he was around 6-8 months old, it was a chore enough trying to raise him. That's when I misplaced it accidentally, I tried contacting the AKC over the phone. They kept hassling me and made it dam near impossible to resolve it.

Well now I'm trying to contact the breeder. This is now also becoming another obstacle... They have the information on their database, they weren't much of help at all.. I guess I can try and contact AKC again.

It's my fault. I accept that 100% but common there's has to be a solution to this with AKC.:mad:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just as a heads up, if it's been over 24 months since the litter was registered, it will be $95 to register your dog. If you want to compete in AKC events, it would be easier (and cheaper) to just apply for a PAL.

In reference to getting a duplicate registration application, this form needs to be filled out and sent in. http://images.akc.org/pdf/ADD201.pdf

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as a heads up, if it's been over 24 months since the litter was registered, it will be $95 to register your dog. If you want to compete in AKC events, it would be easier (and cheaper) to just apply for a PAL.

In reference to getting a duplicate registration application, this form needs to be filled out and sent in. http://images.akc.org/pdf/ADD201.pdf
I'll look into the PAL. The other form for registration requires the liter owner signature to confirm it. That's my obstacle for right now as I can't seem to get her to return my calls.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I'll look into the PAL. The other form for registration requires the liter owner signature to confirm it. That's my obstacle for right now as I can't seem to get her to return my calls.
PAL requires to alter the dog or you cannot compete in AKC events. I don't like the AKC, tries too hard to maintain control regarding spaying and neutering.
Don't worry, there is plenty of fun without the AKC.

·
Registered
699 Posts
PAL requires to alter the dog or you cannot compete in AKC events. I don't like the AKC, tries too hard to maintain control regarding spaying and neutering.
While there are other venues besides AKC, they may not be too thick on the ground, depending on where you are. UKC would also require the dog to be altered, by the way. Other organizations won't, but events can range from scare to non-existent.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I don't see how they are trying to control whether you spay/neuter your dog. The whole reasoning behind it with a PAL number is that 1) it is merely saying that your dog LOOKS like it is probably a GSD (collie, doberman) but since there is no proof that your dog is purebred they 2) don't want unscrupulous people to breed a dog with PAL and show people the AKC certificate and use it as proof that the dog is purebred.

Other than that, AKC doesn't give two whoops whether or not your dog is spayed/neutered.
As for other options, there really isn't a lot. My dog is dual registered with UKC but there has been 2 UKC events within a 2 hour drive in the last 6 months. Not quite a lot of activities in the area other than AKC. And, if your dog doesn't have a valid registration with AKC or another VALID registry, then they are going to require that the dog be spayed/neutered as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I don't see how they are trying to control whether you spay/neuter your dog. The whole reasoning behind it with a PAL number is that 1) it is merely saying that your dog LOOKS like it is probably a GSD (collie, doberman) but since there is no proof that your dog is purebred they 2) don't want unscrupulous people to breed a dog with PAL and show people the AKC certificate and use it as proof that the dog is purebred.

Other than that, AKC doesn't give two whoops whether or not your dog is spayed/neutered. ............
That was all a bit confusing to me.

The reason there is a PAL number is so we can enter event and play with our dogs gaining fame and glory (and having fun) in AKC events. But we either don't know, or the breeders do not care, if any of that fame/glory connects back to their lines and their dogs.

The AKC is a REGISTRY and DOES care about what dogs are listed and to who. If there is any doubt (lack of prior paperwork and proof of dogs lineage) then they absolutely do want that dog spayed/neutered to end the confusion and doubt right there with that dog.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
To be honest, AKC should make it a hassel in situations like this. The only records that they will have on file are those submitted by the breeder. Joe Public shouldn't be able to call them up and say "I have such and such a dog and want papers" and get them easily when AKC has no documentation to that affect. While certainly there are legitimate cases such as yours where this wouldn't be a worry overall, there are many, many more people out there who would abuse such a system to obtain papers for illegitimate reasons. AKC's job is to safeguard the registry and the paperwork and that requires there being some sort of proof that the dog is from the litter and breeder claimed and that you are the owner. They shouldn't just take someone's word for that.

If the original application was lost, then the breeder is the only one who can obtain a new one because they are the owner of the litter and the only person that AKC has documentation for at this time. So you will have to have the breeder request a duplicate, though as others have said the costs to register are going to be much higher due to the time that has elapsed.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
AKC does not "try to maintain control regarding spaying and neutering". They actually do a LOT to fight mandatory legislation for such things.

Requiring a dog to be spayed/neutered for a PAL number is once again, helping to safeguard the breeds. This way there is no danger of people trying to pass off PAL registration as true AKC registration in an effort to breed the dog. Dogs of unknown lineage or who for whatever reason don't meet the qualifications (minimal as they are) for AKC registration don't need to be breeding.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
That was all a bit confusing to me.

The reason there is a PAL number is so we can enter event and play with our dogs gaining fame and glory (and having fun) in AKC events. But we either don't know, or the breeders do not care, if any of that fame/glory connects back to their lines and their dogs.

But the reason that AKC requires spay/neuter is that there is no "breeder" or proof that this dog is, actually purebred.

The AKC is a REGISTRY and DOES care about what dogs are listed and to who. If there is any doubt (lack of prior paperwork and proof of dogs lineage) then they absolutely do want that dog spayed/neutered to end the confusion and doubt right there with that dog.
I know that they do care what dogs are listed and why. That was my point as to why they wanted PAL dogs to be spay/neutered. I said that other than PAL/ILP registrations AKC doesn't care if you spay/neuter your dog or breed a litter every 6 months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To be honest, AKC should make it a hassel in situations like this. The only records that they will have on file are those submitted by the breeder. Joe Public shouldn't be able to call them up and say "I have such and such a dog and want papers" and get them easily when AKC has no documentation to that affect. While certainly there are legitimate cases such as yours where this wouldn't be a worry overall, there are many, many more people out there who would abuse such a system to obtain papers for illegitimate reasons. AKC's job is to safeguard the registry and the paperwork and that requires there being some sort of proof that the dog is from the litter and breeder claimed and that you are the owner. They shouldn't just take someone's word for that.

If the original application was lost, then the breeder is the only one who can obtain a new one because they are the owner of the litter and the only person that AKC has documentation for at this time. So you will have to have the breeder request a duplicate, though as others have said the costs to register are going to be much higher due to the time that has elapsed.
I've called them today and they were more helpful, infact they're going to try and contact the breeder for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've called them today and they were more helpful, infact they're going to try and contact the breeder for me.
In answer to your post before you edited it, until the AKC has the registration slip showing the transfer of ownership of the dog to you, the dog is still technically the property of the breeder or litter owner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts