German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bindi, my 3 year old(well, almost) GSD will run around in the snow like a wild girl usually. But today she was just sniffing the ground(rabbits) and just all of the sudden pulled her left hind leg up and wouldn't walk on it. The she tried to sit and her left hind end just kinda collapsed underneath her. So I got her inside and felt around a little but nothing seemed to hurt. Then she got up and started tearing around inside as if nothing had happened. Then I let her out again and within a few minutes it happened again. Same leg, same thing only she would walk on it but with a limp. Then she sat in front of me but had her left front paw off of the ground. My first thought was oh no, she's getting hip displaysia. But then when she did the front paw thing I thought that maybe the cold snow was just bothering her paws. Both times she was out for less than 10 minutes. The last couple of years it hasn't been a problem being out in the snow. In fact, there were times when we just left her out there because she didn't want to come in.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
My two both do this from time to time.
They sometimes get snow balled up in the fur between their toes and I think that bothers them a lot.
If you can, try and keep the hair between their pads trimmed up.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
My old spaniel mix used to do this - I think the cold can cause cramps in their feet/legs.
But with my spaniel mix, the cold would be extreme (Northern BC), and he was quite old at the time, 12 or 13? Prior we lived in a more mild area.

How cold does it get when your dog does this? maybe just putting socks or dog boots on would help.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Jax slows down in the snow. I think it's hard for them to plow through high snow quickly. It tires them out, they get snow stuck in their feet, they could pull a muscle. It they have any hip problems, the extra effort could make it hard for them.

If she's still limping, I would give her some aspirin or arnica and just watch her.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sasha did that yesterday. We had been out playing then she started limping. I thought maybe her paws were getting numb/frozen.
We stayed inside for a while and she was fine, back n forth snow playing all night long.

ugh

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is there a crack in her paw? The snow we just got is wet and it gets stuck or built up in between my girls paws after a while, maybe something like that?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Wait... so this happens sometimes in the snow and sometimes when there's no snow on the ground? Or is this always in the snow? And it's been going on for years?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait... so this happens sometimes in the snow and sometimes when there's no snow on the ground? Or is this always in the snow? And it's been going on for years?
It has never happened before. Only today twice while she was in the snow. But when we came back inside she was fine. And I just took her out and she was fine running around with no problems.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
See I have a similar issue with my Lucy, but it happens in all types of weather.

She'll come up lame on her right leg and she'll limp around for a couple minutes. After those couple minutes, she's completely back to normal like nothing ever happened. This has happened about 3 or 4 times in the past couple years.

No idea what's causing it. I've had her hips x-rayed at 2 years old and they looked good. Vet seems to think it's a reoccurring "soft tissue injury", but I'm not too sure myself. This seems to be the generic response from a vet whenever they don't know what's causing something.

It hasn't acted up in months and doesn't effect her at all from day to day. For the moment, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a soft tissue injury is all that it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have noticed similar behavior with Jack and some of the other dogs in our neighborhood, we thought it might because of the salt stinging their paws, but the look Jack gives me when it happens is heartbreaking, like "what did I do please help me"

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog does this occasionally. I think it's just a cramp. It is very rare and not weather-related. She works it out in a few short minutes. My last dog was long-hair and the snow would collect between her pads and we would have to break up the tiny snow-ice balls with our fingers .... or she would get them out with her teeth. Current dog never has that problem, love the short coat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts