German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZAK is my first male GSD so maybe its normal for boys but he has quirks , he only eats on walks , not out of a bowl at home ever ,same food that i give him at home and leave down in two different rooms for him to ignore, have tried hand feeding at home but he wont take it .Also when we go out on our own, without his mates,he sometimes stops and if i go on and look back he will lay down and look at me like a sheep dog which i have discoverd means i am going the wrong way.He stays like that while i try all directions when i go the way he wants me to he gets up and acts realy happy. Not always at same place.Sometimes we get out of the car and he just refuses to go but if we get back in and go somewhere else he will be ok .He never does this when we go with other people and thier dogs but i do want to walk alone sometimes.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As I've learned with my girl - only feed the dog where you want to feed it.

They won't let themselves starve (unless there is a medical problem)

IMO, I wouldn't give in to that. We feed her in her crate and no where else.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
ZAK is my first male GSD so maybe its normal for boys but he has quirks , he only eats on walks , not out of a bowl at home ever ,same food that i give him at home and leave down in two different rooms for him to ignore, have tried hand feeding at home but he wont take it .Also when we go out on our own, without his mates,he sometimes stops and if i go on and look back he will lay down and look at me like a sheep dog which i have discoverd means i am going the wrong way.He stays like that while i try all directions when i go the way he wants me to he gets up and acts realy happy. Not always at same place.Sometimes we get out of the car and he just refuses to go but if we get back in and go somewhere else he will be ok .He never does this when we go with other people and thier dogs but i do want to walk alone sometimes.
Man, he has you trained....

Leash him on walks (as much for safety as for training, since I'm going to guess he doesn't have good recall). Laying down is not an option. Stopping long enough for him to decide he just doesn't want to go, is not an option. Carry treats with you... he gets rewarded for continuing to move. It sounds like it would be a good idea to walk him without other dogs for quite a while. He gets fed when and where you decide. If he won't eat, that's his problem--as previously stated, he won't starve himself unless it's clinical.

Set boundaries and rules. It has nothing to do with gender, it's that the dog gets his way, every time. Practice NILIF. It sounds like he's young now, but a lack of boundaries and rules can very well cause some serious problems as he gets older.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:):)His recall is good, doesnt chase anything and loves to sit and watch deer with me ,always off lead.If i stop him playing with other dogs wont that make him aggressive when we do see them? Also if i put him on the lead he wont pull but he will refuse to move and they havent invented any gadgets for moving a 45 Kg GSD. He knows the lower he goes the harder he is to shift .He is 4 and a half years old and he walks for 5 hours a day.He is slim for his height and was under vet for being under weight .Thanks for help:):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts