German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting that they are sold as behaving and acting 'just like a dog'..

Today more wolves live in cages than in the wild and most of these die within 2 to 3 years....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQhYrX_mFU

Great information..

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like I always like to say, you can own a dog but you can never own a wolf.

If you want a dog that looks like a wolf, get a Czech Vlcak, a Saarlos Wolfdog, a Lupo Italiano or a Tasmaskan. They have the desired "wild" look with a gentle domestic dog temperament.

Wolves and first generation wolfdog-hybrids make poor pets because they cannot be fully trusted around humans, small children and small pets and they don't fare well in captivity. At best such an animal will have a special relationship with you but it will always be a free spirit and it doesn't live to please you as a domestic dog does.

The video is on point: let's help keep the ancestor of the domestic dog - the wolf - where it rightfully belongs: in the wild and free!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
That was really good, it's such a shame how so many will be put to death because of human ignorance.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
very interesting.
the topic was one of the things that spawned the thread "what is a natural dog" .
Recommend the book Part Wild written by associate professor at Concordia , science journalist , Ceiridwen Terrill.

She was an owner of a husky/gray wolf hybrid , drawn to it because of the touch of nature , the wilderness aspect , soon to realize the great responsibility , even the danger .

So this Inyo, who she made great sacrifices for , and loves deeply , his needs for activity and stimulation and space , inspired her to take five years of her life on an academic journey to understand the differences between wolves and dogs. She interviewed genetics experts, wolf biologists, dog trainers and wolf rescuers in USA, Germany, Hungary , Sweden and Russia . She spent time with Belyaev's research partner who continues the work after his death.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I just do not get the Czech attempts at wolf dog hybrid.

The experiments took place at a government facility for border dogs . A co-operative of selected breeders "commissioned" to produce dogs for border control , under the common name Pohranicni Straze.
In the early to mid 50's breeding was done with a Carpathian wolf mating (s) .
As stated before in the early 90's I met a young man who was a trainer in the facility . He showed me his photo album with the containment pens of the Czech Wolf dog directly behind his on site residence which was provided for him.
He said they were lightning fast, very reactive, unreliable , had a large shy streak , more defensive / avoidance than pro-active active aggression, independent . Not "dog" .

Pre-dating this was the experience of Anton "So" Eiselen and von Stephanitz when the Phylax Society wanted to use wolf blood input to fix certain physical attributes , particularly the sharp attractive look of the p rick ear .
This look was commercially in demand by the wealthy who fancied the idea of being able to "own" a piece of the wild.
Herding dogs which were indigenous to the area had a variety of body type , hang ear , ruff coat, larger bulky body, racy leggy body. They wanted physical uniformity.

The experiments did not work and corrective breeding over several generations had to be done.
In the von Stephanitz book he says there is no reason to introduce more , or any wolf blood - there is nothing to be gained by it.

Vlcaks came up in another discussion.
On one breeders web site this is said "the government made an attempt
to cross the working abilities of the German Shepherd Dog with the Usable qualities of the Carpathian Wolf, such as a
tough, weatherproof exterior (coat and build), good health, independence, and endurance"

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I interrupted the post because I did not want to continue in red script.
How exactly does one ONLY harness the usable qualities of anything ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just do not get the Czech attempts at wolf dog hybrid.

The experiments took place at a government facility for border dogs . A co-operative of selected breeders "commissioned" to produce dogs for border control , under the common name Pohranicni Straze.
In the early to mid 50's breeding was done with a Carpathian wolf mating (s) .
As stated before in the early 90's I met a young man who was a trainer in the facility . He showed me his photo album with the containment pens of the Czech Wolf dog directly behind his on site residence which was provided for him.
He said they were lightning fast, very reactive, unreliable , had a large shy streak , more defensive / avoidance than pro-active active aggression, independent . Not "dog" .

Pre-dating this was the experience of Anton "So" Eiselen and von Stephanitz when the Phylax Society wanted to use wolf blood input to fix certain physical attributes , particularly the sharp attractive look of the p rick ear .
This look was commercially in demand by the wealthy who fancied the idea of being able to "own" a piece of the wild.
Herding dogs which were indigenous to the area had a variety of body type , hang ear , ruff coat, larger bulky body, racy leggy body. They wanted physical uniformity.

The experiments did not work and corrective breeding over several generations had to be done.
In the von Stephanitz book he says there is no reason to introduce more , or any wolf blood - there is nothing to be gained by it.

Vlcaks came up in another discussion.
On one breeders web site this is said "the government made an attempt
to cross the working abilities of the German Shepherd Dog with the Usable qualities of the Carpathian Wolf, such as a
tough, weatherproof exterior (coat and build), good health, independence, and endurance"
All the undesirable traits of the first generation hybrids have been bred out through selective and successful breeding. The Czech Vlcak is essentially a GSD bred to resemble a Carpathian Wolf. But its NOT a wolf; its a domestic dog and is not considered a wolf-dog hybrid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts