German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been very close with her Aunt Addie all her life.
Addie always spoiled my wife in every way.
Two years ago Addie's dog "Dookie" passed away.
Addie was 82 at that time. She was devastated and felt
like she had lost her child.

Addie is in perfect physical health. Her doctor states, she has
the organs of a 30yr old. Addie's mind is something very different.
When "Dookie"died, Addie wanted to have him stuffed.
I felt it was very wrong. Some old coot that Addie knows could
do it. The old coot talked Addie into making "Dookie" into a
dog skin rug.

A few months ago Addie was going to be placed in a Nursing Home.
My wife just couldn't bear it, so Addie came to live with us.
Of course "Dookie" is here as well.
Addie talks to "Dookie" constantly. Yesterday when I went through
the yard with all the dog's monthly Ivomec treatment, Addie said that "Dookie" had a few spots of mange. She asked if I would treat him.

I had to give "Dookie" an Ivomec injection. She reminded me to mix the injection with sterile water so it wouldn't burn quite so much.

All this is beginning to creep me out. What can be done with Aunt Addie and "Dookie"?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I am very sad for Aunt Addie. Not entirely sure about this but I don't think it's good to be giving a dog skin rug an injection of anything or agreeing that you see mange.

Um, not to be a jerk or anything but how did this dog end up with such a terrible name?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dookie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaI am very sad for Aunt Addie. Not entirely sure about this but I don't think it's good to be giving a dog skin rug an injection of anything or agreeing that you see mange.

Um, not to be a jerk or anything but how did this dog end up with such a terrible name?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dookie
lol. I guess I should have spelled it Dukie. His call name was Duke.
She always called him Dukie.
I never thought about the double o spelling.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaUm, not to be a jerk or anything but how did this dog end up with such a terrible name?
i'm betting his name was Duke at some point...

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
You play along and when she seems more lucid, then you can remind her that the dog is dead. However, she will probably continue to have these episodes of living in the past and if it's not about the dog, it would probably be something else. SOunds like early stages of dementia.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like you're dealing with a pretty significant case of dementia. Bless you for taking her in. I would try to get some support with dealing with this. I deal with this on a daily basis with patients, and often times smacking them in the face with reality can backfire. She is likely not to believe you if you tell her the dog is dead. She may become paraniod and distrusting because you are "lying to her". If you do want to try to address the subject, I would sit down and say something like "remember when he passed, he was such a great dog, wasn't he". Please just don't tell her the dog is dead. She may remember that the dog has passed, but in 10 minutes, she may forget that and think he is still alive. Either way, I do think you need to get some help in dealing with her dementia. She will get worst as time goes by, and you guys will not be able to care for her at home. I'm sure there is an alzheimers support group in your area. Just try not to be "creeped out". Dementia is a very sad thing to watch. Good luck.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
That is very sad that your wife's aunt has dementia. I don't know as there is any convincing her that the dog is dead. My grandmother started talking to Grampa 10 years after he died. I guess you'll have to play along and make her happy in her remaining years.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Has your Aunt had a medical assessment recently? It might not be a bad idea to do that. If she has early stage Alzheimer's, you may need to put a plan in place for her care. In addition there may be legal implications to look at, so that she can get the care she needs.

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
Everyone is assuming this is a true story. Could be, I suppose. Or it could be someone is getting their jollies by yanking our chain. Just sayin....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really care for Addie and have empathy, but during Thanksgiving Dinner she was constantly baby talking to poor Dukie's head and his rug body.
I was just thankful our son and his posse weren't here for dinner.
The jokes would have been flowing.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
A good book is "Learning to Speak Alzheimer's" by Joanne Koenig
Coste. I think it was in there that I learned you are never supposed
to question, chastise, or try to reason with someone suffering
from Alzheimer's. She's 84 now? Then go with it and don't
try to orient her to time and place. If your wife is very close,
have her tell her how she feels about her.

This is all taking your post at face value. If this is made up
then shame on you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Addie turned 85 last month. This is no joke. The pic of Dukie was in the Pueblo Colorado Newspaper, when Addie had it done. It was taken on the porch of her little cabin home in Beulah, Colorado.
Beulah is about 30 miles west of Pueblo. Take Northern ave all the way.

There are many strange things in Beulah. Jim Bishop's Castle is one.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Originally Posted By: tucoI really care for Addie and have empathy, but during Thanksgiving Dinner she was constantly baby talking to poor Dukie's head and his rug body.
I was just thankful our son and his posse weren't here for dinner.
The jokes would have been flowing.

FYI

I found the photo on three site, couldn't post one due to content and if you check these out be careful what you click on in the first link, you will get an eyeful (adult)

http://www.ajoute.com/files/gimgs/11_96-a-dog-skin-rug.jpg

http://www.break.com/pictures/a-dog-skin-rug647192.html

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
I find it interesting that the picture you posted as yours actually comes from a specific website.

Care to explain??

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
This thread is being locked. The picture isn't real guys and I doubt the story is anything more than a story of way more fiction than fact. If I am wrong.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts