German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my dog's problem, it's probably me, but the only thing Lara likes is her flirt pole nowadays. Well, she also likes to CHASE her balls when I throw them but then she prefers to plop down and chew on them or just pick them up, drop them, and walk away. I tried 'two ball' and what happened was she either ignored the second ball or carried the first one in her mouth and swatted the second one with her paws lol.

I run around every day and make her toys look really fun, play with them by myself, a lot of them aren't just laying on the ground all day for her to get bored of - they are hidden and brought out for fun. However, I think her mouth hurts, she just lost 6 teeth, she doesn't want to tug, she doesn't fetch, she doesn't even wrestle with me. SHe's looking at me like I'm crazy. It might be partially how hot it is outside, she's tired from it, but suddenly there is energy if the flirt pole comes out or her milk jug on a string.

Any way I can make these other toys more fun besides playing with them by myself etc, I tease her with them and then she'll get really mad and attack them for 20 ish seconds and go back to being like "okay this is boring"

All this is indoors, don't even get me started on how hard it is to play with her outside lol, the wide open world and all its smells are just too fun

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
In my attempt to build drive, I used an old towel. While doing daily work around the house, I'd drag the towel around. I wouldn't attempt to engage in play. I'd just drag it around and ignore my pup. Once he pounced on the towel..THEN I'd act all excited and play. The MOMENT I thought I was losing his interest, up came the towel and I'd return to what I was previously doing (and ignore the pup). When he least expected it, I'd start dragging the towel again.

The trick was trying to stop the game before he did. And totally ignore him unless we were playing. Much easier (for me) if I did something else in the duration.

I would make big sweeping movements and quick jerks etc. - but I made it seem like it was part of the work I was doing.

It worked for me. Once he started leaping and driving to get the towel, I brought in other toys. First on a rope (repeating the same process) then I'd bring toys out of his box. Now he's at the stage where he brings toys to me.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my attempt to build drive, I used an old towel. While doing daily work around the house, I'd drag the towel around. I wouldn't attempt to engage in play. I'd just drag it around and ignore my pup. Once he pounced on the towel..THEN I'd act all excited and play. The MOMENT I thought I was losing his interest, up came the towel and I'd return to what I was previously doing (and ignore the pup). When he least expected it, I'd start dragging the towel again.

The trick was trying to stop the game before he did. And totally ignore him unless we were playing. Much easier (for me) if I did something else in the duration.

I would make big sweeping movements and quick jerks etc. - but I made it seem like it was part of the work I was doing.

It worked for me. Once he started leaping and driving to get the towel, I brought in other toys. First on a rope (repeating the same process) then I'd bring toys out of his box. Now he's at the stage where he brings toys to me.
Mm okay, I will try this too. She loves towel chunks because I always take them mid play session, but she got so strong she ripped chunks off the towels last few times she was tugging, I will try this with other toys too.

I guess last question, if I put other toys on a string and drag them (a la flirt pole) she always attacks them, but if they are in my hand and I drag them she doesn't so much, do you have any idea how to do that? I can just hunch down and drag them I suppose

She just lost 6 teeth. P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e
I know I know, :( I just feel bad that she's been laying around all day. She doesn't seem too bored I guess, just sleeping. I just didn't understand why she was super excited to play with dog friends and flirt pole today but why she never wants to play with ME. I will be more patient!

·
Super Moderator
32,338 Posts
She might just be out of sorts due to the teething. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts