German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I searched several threads on here and I didn't find what I was looking for so here are the questions, thanks for the help, Jeff

1-Can you give enzymes to a dog that is not EPI positive and if so what kind? I read porcine is the best? (sorry if that is a stupid question)

2- Should you give probiotics and enzymes? Aren't they both for digestion?

3- My dog is currently taking Metronidazole, should I be giving a probiotic or enzyme? Can I give it at the same time?

4- What if any are the side effects of enzymes?

Thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Yes...even healthy dogs can be given enzymes. I remember rescuing a perianal fistula dog that had to be put on enzymes and the vet saying how it can benefit any dog.

Enzymes for Dogs | Canine Digestive Enzymes
Even healthy dogs can benefit from enzyme supplementation for optimal digestion and toxin elimination. With better digestion, our dogs will have less gas, firmer stools, and fresher breath. They will also have a healthier, shinier coat with fewer skin problems.

Enzymes as supplements are particularly beneficial for dogs who:

• <LI class=custom>are fed cooked or processed food <LI class=custom>are suffering from digestive disorders <LI class=custom>are under stress <LI class=custom>are senior dogs (Older dogs tend to produce lesser amounts of enzymes. Many also suffer from zinc deficiency resulting in low immunity - enzymes seem to be able to increase zinc levels in the body) <LI class=custom>have a weakened immune system due to medications such as antibiotics <LI class=custom>are suffering from systemic yeast infections
  • are suffering from thyroid problems such as hypothyroidism (enzymes enhance the absorption of selenium which is an antioxidant that works in conjunction with vitamin E. Selenium is essential in converting the inactive form of thyroid hormone (T4) to the active form (T3))
Enzymes for dogs have been found to be very successful in treating stool eating, GI problems, skin irritations, as well as beneficial to dogs with allergies and arthritis.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
here's a good article on the benefits of probiotics:

Probiotics, What Are They? Do our dogs NEED Them?

Metronidazole is an antibiotic...so the use of a probiotic is always helpful (never give near the time you give an antibiotic)...so in that respect it's good.

Now...should you/do you need both....not sure..I'd have to research more. LisaT is really up on these things :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Are you asking due to the recent issue you posted about? http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/150605-projectile-vomit.html

I give a probiotic 3 hours before or after the antibiotic.

I would want to confirm EPI/SIBO prior to giving enzymes. Also, I think you received some good feedback in the other thread. I started my guy (giardia and SIBO case) on boiled beef and rice, wait 2-5 days then add more quantity OR something else. Wait another 2-5 days and add another thing or quantity. I didn't want to start the commitment of adding enzymes if I didn't have to. For my pup's issues(mild sibo), boiled beef and rice, pre/probiotic, and a marshmallow root/slippery elm supplement has give him awesome stools. I am now adding in Natural Balance Lamb meal and rice, and he is tolerating it well. We are weaning very very very slowly.

Now, if your dog is still very sick, you should probably get a CBC and stool analysis to get a baseline. I also wouldn't delay on the EPI/SIBO test if your vet thinks that is the root cause. Might as well spend the money early(if you can), this way it will be easier on the dog and you (easier said than done). I should have started an elimination diet early on with my pup, I think the sibo was owner induced (partially) because I didn't let his digestive tract heal and didn't eliminate the giardia quick enough which allowed for a secondary infection.

Please seek the advice of a vet and get a second opinion, but do ask the vet many questions and give your opinions based on your research.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are you asking due to the recent issue you posted about? http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/150605-projectile-vomit.html

I give a probiotic 3 hours before or after the antibiotic.

I would want to confirm EPI/SIBO prior to giving enzymes. Also, I think you received some good feedback in the other thread. I started my guy (giardia and SIBO case) on boiled beef and rice, wait 2-5 days then add more quantity OR something else. Wait another 2-5 days and add another thing or quantity. I didn't want to start the commitment of adding enzymes if I didn't have to. For my pup's issues(mild sibo), boiled beef and rice, pre/probiotic, and a marshmallow root/slippery elm supplement has give him awesome stools. I am now adding in Natural Balance Lamb meal and rice, and he is tolerating it well. We are weaning very very very slowly.

Now, if your dog is still very sick, you should probably get a CBC and stool analysis to get a baseline. I also wouldn't delay on the EPI/SIBO test if your vet thinks that is the root cause. Might as well spend the money early(if you can), this way it will be easier on the dog and you (easier said than done). I should have started an elimination diet early on with my pup, I think the sibo was owner induced (partially) because I didn't let his digestive tract heal and didn't eliminate the giardia quick enough which allowed for a secondary infection.

Please seek the advice of a vet and get a second opinion, but do ask the vet many questions and give your opinions based on your research.
Yes it is because of the vomiting thread is why I am asking.

She did have a fecal and all came back negative, no parasites or Giardia. Two vets ruled out Parvo because she isn't displaying symptoms for parvo, according to them. She has no fever, she eats, no bloody stools, she has energy for the most part, she is a bit down today but she has been off her diet for several days now and there is only so much boiled chicken and rice will do for you, we are working her regular food back in slowly. I wanted to change to a different food but my vet said no and to take it one step at a time so I guess time will tell.

We had bloodwork done to test for EPI and are just waiting for the results to come back, I guess they send those out.

One vet says that enzymes would be good and another will say not to give them so that's another reason for asking, sometimes you have to research for yourself I guess.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I give probiotics and digestive enzymes often. As a breed, the GSD tends to low enzyme production and sensitive GI tracts. Not all of them, but common enough. For this reason, I am convinced of the possible value of supplementing with these.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give probiotics and digestive enzymes often. As a breed, the GSD tends to low enzyme production and sensitive GI tracts. Not all of them, but common enough. For this reason, I am convinced of the possible value of supplementing with these.

Ok, now how do you know weather to use a plant based or a porcine based enzyme? I know I am a pain but I am just trying to learn, this is a whole new realm for me.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I always understood the porcine to be stronger and probably better if there is clinical EPI. But, I have not had an EPI dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts