German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... we just brought home Jordan, a 13 week old GSD.

She received a clean bill of health from the breeders vet and ours this morning... my vet, however, insisted on giving her a parvo shot (because she doesnt trust the ones the breeders give @ home)... i finally agreed after being told if they arent kept at the corect temp they wont work appropriatly and my dog may get parvo even though she is vaccinated.

I noticed a marble size lump under (literally) her bottom left nipple tonight while cuddling with her. It doesnt seem to bother her but I hadnt noticed it yetr and I thought I had looked her over very closely before bringing her home...

I only mentioned the extra parvo shot because I read somewhere off google that it causes inflammation in the dogs body and was wondering if that could be the reason for the new lump?

Could it potentially be a umbilical hernia? it isnt where her belly button is... it's lower than that but not in the groin, just under the lower left nipple.

I am taking her to the vet on monday... I guess I am hoping for reassurance ...Im nervous and overracting Im sure.... nothing like having a new baby (puppy) in the house to throw the nerves off kilter -.-

Thanks for reading. :help:

Jess

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is 3 yrs. old and i'm still off kilter. good luck
at the Vets.

I am taking her to the vet on monday... I guess I am hoping for reassurance ...Im nervous and overracting Im sure.... nothing like having a new baby (puppy) in the house to throw the nerves off kilter -.-

Thanks for reading. :help:

Jess

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I've found umbilical hernias to be off center sometimes, and that would be my first thought. The breeder may have pushed it back in and forgot to tell you since it's really no big deal and it could have come back down since she's been home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies - if there is a cancellation @ my vet today they said theyd call us so we can take her in, if not I will take her back tomorrow -- She was acting a bit ill last night (im assuming from the vaccine) but this morning let us know she needed to pee, and grabbed her favorite ball on the way to the back yard! I havent had her calm down enough yet to check her tummy again but will in a few minutes before she goes in her kennel so we can go to church. I will reupdate and let you guys know what it is.

-Jess

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'd be a little irritated with my vet for "insisting" on anything like that. They can recommend all they want, but in the end it's your decision if you want to re-give the shot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it was a little out of character for her... she didn't say we HAD to she said she PREFERS to redo the shots... I asked a bunch of questions and she was patient and thorough in answerng them... in the end I decided that since parvo is SO huge out here id allow it to be regiven. I think I worded it wrong in the first post.

We got in this afternoon at 2pm... they have NO idea what it is... or why it suddenly showed up. It isnt a hernia, it is a lump right under the skin. We were told to watch it closely and not to mess with it. The size went down overnight so the Doc said she wasnt too worried and it may be a bug bite or irritation from running around the yard. If it isnt completley gone by the time she is spayed I can opt for a biopsy (and drainage of it if it can be drained) to find out what it is.

Im much more at ease now - her temp is great, heart and lungs are still good, and she even ignored 3 dogs at the vets office today (YEA!)

-Jess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.