German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is "Jake" the 3rd GSD who is in the Mercer Co Shelter in Princeton WV. in an outside run. He's a mature adult male, but I don't know his age.

Some of the staff thinks he has hip dysplasia based on the way he looks and stands. Actually he appears to have some American showline breeding in him and he is very angulated in the rear and his hock drop low to the ground... typical of showline breeding. Of course being a german shepherd he could still have some hip problems, but without xrays it's not possible to tell. He actually moves very sound and has a fluent gait. Overall his conformation is oddly very disproportionate but that's of no importance. He IS a pretty boy.

Jake is a sweet sweet fella and very friendly and submissive. A big marshmellow. Only problem is it seems he has never had a leash on him and is scared to death of being asked to walk on a leash. He whimpers loudly and cries pathetically like he's being severely hurt... He gets scared and cowers and rolls over on his back. It's heartbreaking to see him act so scared. I dont' have a clue if there was some event in his past that led him to act this way or if in someway something is actually hurting him. He didn't walk far and I wasn't pulling on him.. he just wanted no part in going along with a collar and leash on him.

When he ran loose he went from run to run visiting with the other dogs and showed no aggressiveness in meeting them through the run fencing. He's such a nice boy and would be well worth taking time to teach him to walk on lead.

Pull help is available as well as low cost boarding in the area. He's NOT on their petfinder site yet. But here's a link to the Mercer Co Shelter site: PETFINDER MERCER COUNTY SHELTER PRINCETON WV

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: Mercer Co Shelt. WV.GSD "Jake", adult M showlineX

What a gorgeous dog! I can not believe these beautiful dogs end up in shelters. It just amazes me and I honestly had no idea until I joined this site.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Though he looks impressive and a dog to be reckoned with, Jake is a big marshmellow and gentle as a kitten. He is very submissive and kind. He would never hold up under any harsh training or handling. He loves attention and petting....

Here's a short video of him at the shelter taken Saturday. His poor little tail looks like a puppy tail on a big dog!!

PHOTOBUCKET VIDEO LINK: JAKE, MERCER COUNTY SHELTER

·
Registered
737 Posts

awww how much time does he have ??Wish I could take him. I am full and no rescue backing me. He seems like a sweetie.......

·
Registered
342 Posts

Oh my goodness he looks like a luv bug

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts

I am still in love with him, what a handsome boy! I almost can't stop looking at him.

·
Registered
127 Posts

He is STUNNING! Hope he gets out!

·
Registered
646 Posts

he looks like a nice dog; i watched th video, no aggression towards other dogs; is he avoiding humans? or just a bit scared?

·
Registered
646 Posts

i'm willing to adopt him; am trying to get ahold of the shelter that he's in to see if they'll ok an out of state adoption

he looks a lot like a gsd i used to own several years ago

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jake likes people... he was just a tad shy as I was standing in front of his run with the camera and he was a bit hesitant to come out by me. But he really likes people and attention. It will take some patience to get him used to walking on a leash but well worth the effort. I'm going to stop back by and put a harness on him so he can get used to it but it will be later in the week (thurs)if he's still there. I live 45 mins from the shelter... wish I lived closer as I would love to get by to see him sooner. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

i so hope something works out for this boy...i do love those american showline dogs...hope someone else does too!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

bump for jake.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

up you go.

·
Registered
646 Posts

i'm not convinced he's an Amer showline dog; he reminds me of a german import that i had several years ago; some of their show line dogs are VERY angulated

any other opinions out there?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yeah, I agree getting him out of there is of the first and formost importance! And he definately could have some german cross in him also but he's pretty loose in the hocks and he's way down on them, something the german breeders definately frown apon producing. Definately created from american showline breeding! Not that it matters, but I do find these lines for the most part to be more low key and easy going than german lines..he's a big softy too! I just love them all... they're all beautiful to me!

Jake really needs a kind and loving home.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts