German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This beautiful boy was brought into the Mercer County Shelter today with an injured lower leg and paw. The shelter mgr. Lisa called me to ask for help for him. They think the injury was caused by a chain wrapping around his leg cutting the circulation off. She said the injury 'smells horrific' and he stands little chance in the shelter. If anyone or any rescue can help him please get in touch with the shelter asap on Wednesday. Lisa Nisbet the mgr is really great to work with as is the other Lisa who works there.

Tomorrow is my day off and I'm willing to go to the Mercer Shelter if anyone needs me to do anything to help with him. His picture is just breaking my heart. He looks like a very beautiful dog. I've asked Lisa N. for more info such as age, intact, and the circumstances the brought him into the shelter to post.

Just look at this face....:cry:

Just got an email with this additional info to add:" He is 8 years old, owner surrender-the people lost their home and couldn't afford to get him vetted, he is neutered, very friendly, I'd say he weighs about 60-65 pounds"

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh he is breaking my heart! I hope some one can please help him. It is so sad this economy and what it has done to people and their pets.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
BUMP :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: PLZ :cry:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Forruger, Do we know if the shelter has the ability to treat him? Would it help to send a donation toward his care? I hate the thought of him lying there in pain.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG, this is terrible. Does he need amputation or just care?

I picked up Kato this afternoon after being given permission by Weeping Willow to do so. The shelter had no way of treating him and he HAD to get to a vet's. The vet said that more than likely the foot will have to be amputated... right now he's on antibiotics and pain meds and epson salts soaks. The foot is a horrible mess....

The owner had sent a letter to the shelter with him and it's so sad... she must have really loved this dog but after losing her job and her home she had no means of treating him. She said what a good dog he's been and asked the shelter to make it as stress free as possible on him. She expected him to be pts... which he almost was yesterday when he was brought in.

I dont know what WW's plans are for him and if they can afford to have his foot amputated. But at least he's been started on meds. Kato is such a WONDERFUL dog and inspite of the condition he's in he's very sweet. He's also quite skinny. ON the bright side he is HW negative!!!

If anyone wants to help him in any way please contact Weeping Willow on their website... they are angels for taking in all these older injured dogs and giving them a safe loving life even if they never get adopted.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Bless you for trying to help him. I also feel for the owner, how heartbreaking!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Thank you for helping Kato. I feel so sad for him but also for the owner. It must have been really horrible for her first to lose her home and then to have to surrender her beloved pet. I hope they will let her know that he is safe.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shelter said they would call the owner and let her know he was getting helped by a rescue and wasn't pts. I just couldn't imagine going thru all that and then being helpless to help your pet. Most the time I'm pretty critical of people who ditch them in the shelter but in this case I was just boo hooing knowing how horrible she must have felt to have to do that... So hopefully knowing he's getting help will ease her mind.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Thank all you angels for helping this dear sweet boy. :angel:
Such a heartbreaking case for owner & dog. :(

Keep us posted plz on his new journey, hope it's happy. :halogsd:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I want to send a big THANK YOU to FORRUGER for stepping in for Weeping Willow and getting this gorgeous boy to safety and the vet. We are committed to him and will cover his expenses as need be; whether he needs an amputation or not. Xira will keep you all posted on this sweet boy but he is getting the medical and care that he needs; and I'm sure he misses his family but this is one tragic circumstance. I seldom get on this forum anymore but just wanted to let you all know that he was vetted and thank God heartworm free !!! More to come on his progress :)

Pat Lukos & the Team from Weeping Willow 2nd Chance German Shepherd Sanctuary

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if any donations would help towards his care, please let us know! i'm sure some of us would be able to help out some. Its sad what he's been through and sad his owner had to give him up. Wish i could take him. Seems like a gentle old soul that we're looking at adopting in the future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just got an email from FORRANGER....Kato is going to have to have his leg amputated tomorrow; it is very necrotic and we are worried he will become septic. Please keep him in your prayers and of course any donations are welcome....my private email is [email protected] for more info....thank you all for caring; FORRUGER will nurse him post-surgery until he is ready for transport to Weeping Willow.

Pat Lukos and the Weeping Willow Team

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pat (forruger),
Bless you for helping with this boy. You truly are an angel.
Weeping Willow thank you for stepping up for him. I'll donate to help with his expenses.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Praying for all to go well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone meeting Kato would do the same. He's an absolute sweetheart...when you sit beside him on the floor he nuzzles under your chin and is just so darn endearing. Hoping and praying his surgery goes well which it should. Just anxious for it to be over with and have him on his way to recovery. We will update after his surgery. :thumbup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Kato's surgery went well on Friday. It's amazing how resilient dogs can be. He's taking it easy for the most part but during his potty break outing the next day he decided to test his skill at 3 legged running. And did quite well! He's the nicest, sweetest dog anyone could ever want. Please remember he will be available for adoption from Weeping Willow Rescue and Sanctuary as soon as he's at their facility and healed up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Kato enjoying a little time outside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts