German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PRINCETON WV-3 yo b&r intact m,owner died, severely stressed needs out of shelter!!!!

Mercer County Shelter
961 Shelter Rd
Princeton, West Virginia 24740
Phone (304) 425-2838 ...

Hours
Mon - Sat: 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Email [email protected]
http:/
This is 'Buddy' and he has been in Mercer County Shtler for 6 wks. His owner died and was turned in by a family member. He needs a home with someone with some gsd experience. He's a wonderful dog with all the classic traits of a nice german shepherd boy but needs a person who he can look up to and shows him guidance which he craves. He is getting severely stressed out in the shelter and has developed cage aggression... trying to force him back into his run by the staff member who he's become bonded with would break your heart. He is extremely devoted and focused on her and she lets him out loose as he only has eyes for her attention. He shows aggression to anyone coming to his run which is labeling him to be an aggressive dog in the eyes of many. But once his 'person' is with him he is fine after she takes him out of the run. And the longer he is there the worse he gets... this IS a kill shelter and they will euthanize those deemed unadoptable without blinking an eye. He was raised by woman;he was not raised with children and I wouldn't put him in a home with children. He is also a dominant male and putting with other males or other dominant dogs wouldn't be recommended. Two 5-6 mos puppies running in the area came to visit him while the employee had him outside and he recognized them as puppies and was ok with them. He was turned in with an AKC registration transfer for the original owner. He's big beautiful dog. Sadly due to his cage aggression shelter policy does not allow him to be taken out for exercise!!!! This is making him much worse... he was not showing cage aggression when he first arrived at the shelter. He is not a dog for someone wanting a soft couch potato with little no prior shepherd experience. IF you contact the shlter they will know which dog he is by his name and breed as I don't have a number on him. If anyoe has serious interest in adopting him please PM me and I can give you the cell phone number of the employee who he's bonded with. Her information is very truthful and accurate for anything else you may want to know about him ,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://youtu.be/Zoif-4E2uGY

The above link is a short video of Buddy in his run... after he settled down. (all dogs in surrounding runs are cage aggressive) I was giving him treats and asking him to sit which he did and also 'down' . He even offered to shake hands with me though I didn't ask.S
https://youtu.be/t8rHJFLYhKc
This is him with his favorite person Elizabeth. She turned him loose in the field and he played retrieve with sticks.

As you can see he's not an aggressive dog... he does need someone who will give him some guidance and rules.. but he's a very nice boy.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Such a handsome boy! I wish you luck in finding him a good home.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
We have a member here who I believe is in VA and heavily involved in rescue. Lots of connections. I agree he needs to get out of the shelter. Smitty was the same way, became cage aggressive and it almost doomed him too.....he was pulled literally a few hours before he was to be euth'd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a beautiful boy, and obviously just super stressed in an incredibly stressful environment. I so hope someone can pull him quickly. I am in SE Ga and would take him, but he'd have to stay in an outdoor kennel on the 3 days a week I work and I only have one outdoor kennel at the moment for my GSD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This shelter is now making a list for dogs well past their hold time that will be euthanized. All are medium to large sized dogs. I have no idea what's in Buddy's immediate future if he remains in the shelter... they won't keep him indefinatley. I realize he has to go to a suitable home or rescue and those are in limited numbers. If you have had any interest in this boy and can provide him with a suitable home please keep him in mind. Is there anyone on here in the Newark Delaware area? Please pm me if so... i'm trying to get a phone number of his breeder who I believe is in that area.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thanks for bumping this Newlie. I'll send a PM to Remo and call the shelter in the AM to find out the status. I can't believe this dog hasn't been pulled yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is VGSR working on this beautiful boy? I planned to go and see him on Saturday but I do not want to duplicate efforts if someone has committed to him.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Update:

I called the shelter yesterday. The lady that answered the phone could not give me much information on him. She said she was 'pretty sure' that "Buddy" is still there. She called him a "special case" but could not tell me any more information.

She took my phone number and said the ACO (Elizabeth) would return my call. I haven't heard back.

Lea (VGSR, screen name "Remo") did PM me back yesterday. She said she would look into this guy. The only problem is they may not be able to help if he is dog aggressive since they don't have a foster situation available for DA dogs.

Fingers crossed Lea and her group can help this guy!!

If the ACO calls me back I will post information here.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hi,

Per my phone call with the shelter yesterday, it sounds like he's still in limbo there. Hopefully Elizabeth the ACO will call me back today with more information.

See my post above, Lea with VGSR is looking into him as of today but it's no where close to a done deal.

Fosters are hard to find so if he's still there Friday my suggestion is to go up there and look at him. At the very least you can share information and cross post.

Is VGSR working on this beautiful boy? I planned to go and see him on Saturday but I do not want to duplicate efforts if someone has committed to him.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Such a beautiful boy. He is obviously stressed at losing his owner and then being caged constantly. If Raina weren't an only child with an attitude I would go and get him.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If someone can go meet him, go for it! I sent an email to intake - BUT - if he is dog aggressive there is very little we can do. Almost all of our foster homes have other dogs in residence and the only dogless foster that I know of already has a dog aggressive dog that he is fostering.

There are three other GSD rescues in this area - All Shepherd Rescue, Promises Animal Rescue and Mid-Atlantic GS Rescue. I don't know if any of them might be able to help.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts