German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my dog's puppy pass is gone. When we go into places where people are not expecting to see a dog, many people look like they literally want to jump out of their skin when they see him. The other day we went into Lowes and more than one person looked like they were going to climb the shelves when they saw us coming. He is a very well behaved and happy to be petted by strangers type of dog but I guess his look is starting to change. It probably doesn't help that he is a dark sable. I am wondering at what point do I need to stop taking him places out of general courtesy to the public. I would hate for someone to have a heart attack.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If thats the kind of dog you want (social) then keep it up. I also have a dark sable and bring her to home depot etc... She loves people. At my shutzhund it seems like the dogs are antisocial, they all bark and seem vicious in their cages. The owners say they dont allow their dog to interact much, I think they think itll help shutz? My girl is a star at the bites so far and is still calm and very social. Best of both worlds. Also, start working on your dog doing a sit for pets, I can see people being scared if hes pulling on the end of the leash.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats the kind of dog you want (social) then keep it up. I also have a dark sable and bring her to home depot etc... She loves people. At my shutzhund it seems like the dogs are antisocial, they all bark and seem vicious in their cages. The owners say they dont allow their dog to interact much, I think they think itll help shutz? My girl is a star at the bites so far and is still calm and very social. Best of both worlds. Also, start working on your dog doing a sit for pets, I can see people being scared if hes pulling on the end of the leash.
He is 2 years old and has his BH. His obedience is very correct. I would say that he is better trained than most dogs in public. I think it is all about his look. I think he is a goofy looking puppy still. However, others say they are very scared if him. Even people who have known him since he was a pup. I think some people are scared of dogs deep down to thier core. Pups, they like and will gush over, but at some point a dog (especially a GSD) looses its puppy pass and those people have a primal fear based reaction when they see him.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
YES . My pup was only 4 months. We were out walking when we turned a corner and a lady backed up and said get your vicious dog away from me. I was so surprised that I let out an accidental giggle. I was going to say he's only 4 months but realized that everyone sees things differently and she was probably honestly scared. After all he can look pretty scary when hes focusing on something. Since I've only owned small dogs before Dex, this was the first time I've ever been subjected tithe prejudice of having a big dog. Since then I've gotten used to it and I understand he may scare others even when he's running around with his goofy face on. I respect if he scares them and move him so they can feel comfortable.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yes, this happened to us last weekend. I almost made a thread as I have never had anyone act so "poop your pants" scared at the sight of our dogs. We had a young guy, 20ish cross the street up ahead of us, we were walking all 3 of our gsds and all were behaving very well. As we passed him I looked over and you could see the absolute terror on his face. He was backed up against a parked pick up looking like he was going to climb on it. I felt kinda bad, I can only guess he must have had some kind of bad experience.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Get a vest, pick one with a friendly look to it, like a light purple color, yellow color or light blue with patches that say, "I'm friendly" "Ask to pet me". Maybe that will help.

I wouldn't stop going out with your dog, especially since he is so well behaved, he's an 'ambassadog' for the breed. :)

btw I get the same thing with Ilda and Smitty sometimes and they are black and tan......

He is 2 years old and has his BH. His obedience is very correct. I would say that he is better trained than most dogs in public. I think it is all about his look. I think he is a goofy looking puppy still. However, others say they are very scared if him. Even people who have known him since he was a pup. I think some people are scared of dogs deep down to thier core. Pups, they like and will gush over, but at some point a dog (especially a GSD) looses its puppy pass and those people have a primal fear based reaction when they see him.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to having a GSD.

My all white gets people panicking and the last thing he wants to do is eat anyone, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts