German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found in pups of other breeds some are late bloomers in terms of prey drive,one day they're not interested and the next they are.
In fact dogs like that I've found tended to be the more driven as adults.

Anyone found this to any degree with working line shepherds?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My male WL GSD had no useable prey drive until he was almost 18 months old. He really turned on at that point. He still doesn’t have the level of prey my girl has, but at least it’s there now, and it’s accessible.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My male has never had a strong prey drive.
Not interested in chasing squirrels or cats.

As a pup he actually had no ball drive at all but his trainer showed me ways to encourage him to be interested in chasing a ball and that worked out really well especially for training purposes.

I do think that over time his drive to play ball has increased in that he gets really excited when he knows we’re going out to play ball or even when he finds a ball, he’ll race around the yard, drop it then jump on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering if this thread would tell me how to find the "pause" button for Genali, lol. She wants to chase anything that moves. even a pinecone in the wind......sigh....

I love it about her, but there are times when I wish there was middle ground. She is either going flat out or zonked out asleep. I have to keep her busy or she is into everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts