German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.
I notice that my dog has her prey drive in maximum when the object which I m using as a reward ( Tug) is moving. When the object is stable she dosen t care so much for it. Other dogs have maximum prey drive even with one look to the object. How can I do this to my dog?

Thank you

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Try utilizing a Flirt Pole.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Try utilizing a Flirt Pole.
Yep, a "dead" toy isn't as fun as a "live" toy but you can still easily build drive by starting and stopping. A flirt pole is a great tool :)

·
Banned
377 Posts
My dog is similar. I considered it normal. If it's not moving then there is nothing to chase. Also, dog's vision is not as good as ours for stationary items but better than ours for moving 'items'.
If my dog spots a stationary rabbit or squirrel she will either stay still or move very slowly towards it but, once it moves, she's off.
If I were to hold my dog and throw something like a ball or a wubba (or anything), she would chase it even if it were still.
Don't know if that is play or prey drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flirt Pole is exactly what I do. But this is not enough for some exersices which i want to train for mondioring. Is there a way to make my dog to be so much crazy for an immovable object as it is for a movable?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Heres what worked for me. If you want your dog to go crazy as soon as they see a particular object it has to be a fun object that only comes out sometimes and every time you're done playing with that object you have to stop on your terms - when they're very excited, but not when they are tired and the game is already winding down.

I have a greyish blue rag that comes out to play maybe once a day for five minutes, I hug that rag or hold it up high in the air and run all over the place acting like I'm having fun without her, and by the time I stop she wants to murder it, but then after 2-3 minutes of play (when she's just getting going) it goes back into hiding, now whenever she sees it, even if I just set it down, she wants to attack it right away and I don't have to run around making it look so fun anymore. Since the rag always leaves before she's bored of it it is not ever viewed as something boring in her eyes, it's always gogogog must kill it before it escapes

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I have increased my puppy’s interest in a cotton rope tug toy. My dog loves retrieving and chasing balls and discs. I generally use two of the exact same objects. I throw one he retrieves it drops it and I immediately through the other one. Lately I also wanted to build his excitement in the tug toy as much as balls and discs. What I have done is now throw the tug toy for him to retrieve. He runs grabs it and drops it. I then reward him with a ball. Today I can through a tug toy he will retrieve it and throw another tug toy. In addition sometimes instead of throwing the tug toy I also hold it out for him to jump up grab it and we play tug.

Just noticed Mego post. Mego is exactly right. I only play with these high valued toys short for short intervals and stop when his interest is high. These toys do not lay out for general play and are picked up and kept hidden/out of reach until next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts