German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for info to prevent separation anxiety. I 've been off work since we got Molly at 8 weeks old and will be returning to work within a few weeks. My wife is a teacher and will be on holidays as of next week so she will be with Molly until September all day long. Now as of September we will both be at work Mon to Fri and I was wondering what would be the best way to prevent separation anxiety. I have been leaving for a few hours each day since we got Molly just to make it easier when the time comes!
Should my wife continue this routine all summer long?
Should I build a outdoor kennel or put her in the garage while we are working?(our winters get pretty cold -20 to -40*C)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add that she will be 10mths old by september

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
my dog has the same problem my mom's a teacher so she's home all summer until sept. then we both go back to work/school. what we did with her is we put a mat down on the floor and that's her mat she has to stay on all day, it's not near us, but she can see us. She has to stay on it until we say it's ok to follow us around which we usually don't allow. When ever we leave the room she has to stay on the mat and she's not allowed to follow us into the other room. When we leave the house to go somewhere we make our exits and entrances as low key as possible until we're almost ignoring her. We usually walk her before we leave give her a kong filled with frozen peanut butter or frozen hot dogs to keep her busy while we're gone. your dog should be ok when you go back to work in Sept. just make sure you get her in to a routine and keep it. Like go out for a couple of hours without her everyday so she gets the hint that it's ok to be by herself for a little bit, then as the time get closer to Sept increase the time. We also don't allow my dog to sleep in the room with us, so she understands that it's ok to not be with us 24/7. hope this helped and i explained it right. sometimes what I type makes sense in my head, but not on paper lol.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
oh also do you crate that she can go in?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh also do you crate that she can go in?

thank you for the advice!
We have a crate in our bedroom and we put her in it when we leave for a few hours but I don't feel right about leaving her in it for 8hrs a day

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she going to be in for 8 hours a day when everyone is back at work?
Not sure yet I will either put her in the garage and install a doggy door for her to go outside or build a outdoor kennel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts