German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
No idea whether it works or not, whether an industrious dog would manage to chew through it, and remove it, but they used the term "pet parent." Uhg! No, I'm not buying that.

I mean, are you going to turn your bitch loose with your dog when she is in heat? Isn't it kinder on all parties to prevent them from close contact anyway?

I use doggy diapers on bitches in heat when they are in the house so they do not soil everything. But I wouldn't expect them to prevent a dog from tying.

This might, but if you intend to have dog and bitch both intact, then you ought to have more than just a crate or glorified doggy diaper to separate them with when the time comes.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. It seems to good to be true and no, I will never trust them together at that stage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If somebody needs this I don't think they are responsible enough to have intact animals of opposite sexes lol

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Agree. That's way over the top. Also, wouldn't there be sanitary issues? I'd actually be a bit concerned about increased risk of pyo, as urine and other secretions could collect around the, um "cover".

The poor boys, too. I imagine they'd either just yank or chew that thing off, or find a way around. Or just go crazy... crazier that is.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd put a big fat 'nope' sticker on that product for my household. I used to put bitch britches on my girls in heat for sanitary purposes. I have a neutered male- he can mount and tie a female wearing one in three seconds flat. I'd expect an intact, experienced male would make quick work of that device too.

I actually thought it was a gag website- but maybe it works for some dogs!

Crating/separating is how I deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I just went through a heat with intact dogs of the opposite sex. It was not as big a deal as I thought keeping them separate. That said, it would be cruel to allow this on the female then subject her to the males constant advances.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I would imagine best to seperate them as if your male is trying to mount your female when she is not ready/willing which I think is only a few days in her heat cycle will make her pretty agitated and can lead to a big fight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts