German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dogsitting for my neighbor. One of the dogs is a Lab (probably mixed).

I was brushing her out in the unfenced part of my yard by the road and an elderly lady was walking by, I noticed the dog had gone rigid when she saw her and thought she was just excited, then she went utterly Cujo at this little old lady. Seeing as she was on a darn extendable leash I got rope burn trying to hold her back, and hand to wrap it around my hand several times and hold her scruff because the collar the owner has on her doesn't tighten enough.

This dog was serious, snarling, barking, straining hard and fighting me, trying to back out of her collar and hackles up..

I seriously thought she was going to redirect on me.

What's scary is this dog is a therapy dog.. what if she did this while visiting a nursing home, hospital etc.. ?

I'll be telling her owner, and I hope she listens..

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She might not be pure, looks like a BYB lab though... but either way, crazy! It caught me off guard for sure..

It was one of those extendables with the flat, thin lead.. It was not easy to hold onto!

Then she went back to being her sweet, goofy self.. I just don't know.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Thats weird for a friendly dog especially a trained one to just go psycho like that. Would have scared me to and poor old lady,lol

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that she will completely kill the mailman given the chance, but I've never seen her get aggressive with anyone else.

I'm going to suggest to the owner a vet trip is in order - this dog has health issues, but nothing that should affect her brain.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
wow that doesn't sound good. Hope the owner listens to you and gets the dog in more training.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Whoa... how on earth did that dog pass a therapy dog test if it's so people aggressive? Or maybe something has cropped up in her health wise, she does need to go to the vet, I think, and rule that out first.

Or maybe... the old woman was really a bank robber in disguise, and she knew it all along!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sounds like territorial aggression. I've had several dogs like that. Sweet as lambs and docile as could be when out and about and could definitely pass a therapy dog test but approach their territory and you encountered a very different dog.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH it's not that Ruth - this was my property, I was walking them (another dog too) and just stopped there to brush some of her fur out because I don't mind having a pile of dog hair in my yard, but her owners might. She isn't staying in my house, so I don't think she would fee territorial in my yard.

She's an older girl, it's possible her mind is going I suppose..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts