German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got Rose, 5 months old, on Saturday and she is doing well with our yorkies, however, she wants to kill my cat. We have so far tried the following: keeping her in a sit position like a time out, sitting with the cat and having the kids love on her and when Rose ignores her, she gets a treat. The puppy and the cat are very stressed out and none of us are sleeping because we are heartbroken at what is going on. Currently we have moved all the cats stuff upstairs but he is used to having his run of the house and can no longer come down to take care of my 2 yr old yorkie who he considers to be his baby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:(

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Welcome:) I have no experience with cats, never owned one but can understand wanting peace in the household.

There have been some good advice from members on this very topic. I'm sure they will be along:)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Depending on how much patience you have, it could take a very long time. I dont think you should have moved the cat upstairs. New dog should be in a crate. It took me almost 6 months to get my 8yr old female Shiloh to accept our new kitty and she's been around cats since she was 14wks old. I can tell you she definately showed agression are you sure this pup is showing agression?

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Well, it's only been 3 days. It takes longer than that to train a dog. Just keep working on it.

Exactly WHAT is the puppy doing? Just barking? Trying to chase? Or in a tensed body stance and staring the cat down?

1) Keep your puppy on a leash and do not let her have an opportunity to chase the cat and reinforce her behavior.
2) Work on teaching your puppy Leave It. Leave it means just that...it means don't look, don't touch, leave it.
3) Work on having the puppy react gently to the cat. Nice is the command I used.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sorry if I am blunt about this, but it's important for you to understand that these are animals, not humans or babies. They have natural drives that require long term training and management in order to have them behave the way you desire. Contain and separate the ones that don't get along. As your puppy matures, you can slowly start teaching her that the cat is off limits. This might work or it might not. Some will learn, some won't. There are several threads on how to accomplish this with tips from others. Many people have had success teaching their dogs to keep away from their cats.

However, if I had a cat, I would not allow my dogs around it. There is just too much liability imo, and I would not want an unfortunate accident to occur.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Jax was about 4 months when I brought her home.

I would take her on leash to where the cat was. I would let her sniff at the cat but no biting or pawing. When she would relax, sniff and look away or just sit and watch, I would reward her. Jax will chase any cat that is not "hers" but she's gentle with "her" cats.

As long as your puppy is not doing the death stare where they are tensed up and staring the cat down without making a sound, then I would not be worried. Excited puppy, chasing...that is just a training issue.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
1) Keep your puppy on a leash and do not let her have an opportunity to chase the cat and reinforce her behavior.
2) Work on teaching your puppy Leave It. Leave it means just that...it means don't look, don't touch, leave it.
3) Work on having the puppy react gently to the cat. Nice is the command I used.

When teaching the commands, make them solid BEFORE you try to work with the pup and cat together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trust me, I have a strong respect for animals of all kinds, their natural instincts and the strength they have. I don't expect an overnight miracle to occur but I am open to suggestions from more experienced GSD owners.

Rose is barking , snarling, showing teeth, and lunging at the cat and her hair is standing on end. It takes all of my strength to hold her back.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Trust me, I have a strong respect for animals of all kinds, their natural instincts and the strength they have. I don't expect an overnight miracle to occur but I am open to suggestions from more experienced GSD owners.

Rose is barking , snarling, showing teeth, and lunging at the cat and her hair is standing on end. It takes all of my strength to hold her back.
When ever I hold a "charging" dog back by the collar or lead it always charged the dog up even more. One of the best things I did with my kitten was to teach him to be dog savy, high ground is safe. I remember sitting in the chair with Kiya on lead and the kitty would have the zoomies and get too close to her, oh boy she would go nuts. It made any progress I thought we made vanish.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have a high drive Lacy puppy (8 months old). He torments my Mini Doxie. I cannot have the two together with out constant supervision. He will full out attack (totally playful, but looks serious) and she will squeal the entire time. That is the reaction he wants from her. However, give the Doxie some food and she'll rip his head off. He leaves her alone when she has food.

Teaching him 'Leave It' was the ONLY way that they have been able to be in the house at the same time. But it has taken 6 months to get to this level of control. They do not spend ANY alone time EVER.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you dont crate, i would recommend tall babygates with the cat door at the bottom. have the cat on one side..dog on the other....feed them both their favorite wet food. first far away...but still so they know each other is there..then each day/or when you feel comfortable..move the food closer and closer to the gate.continue to do this....have the dog associate the cat with getting special food/treats.

also....before the behavior starts..redirect your dog with something..whether its food/ squeaky balls...something to get her to look at you right away, and not that cat.

work on the "leave it" command....i teach all my dogs this with all my cats. (i have 3 cats and 2 german shepherds)......my pup gets alittle excited (to play)...i say "leave it!"..he stops....if he still stand close to the cat....i tell him to "go lay down" or "sit"....works wonders when I am laying on my bed and my cat comes up to sleep with me.

another thing to try.......rub a towel on your cat....and put it in the dogs sleeping area...this will also get her use to the smell of that cat.

give us weekly updates on how things are going.

·
Registered
147 Posts
and i really dont recommend crating for part of the training...only when you are gone and there is a chance your cat would go downstairs by the dog.
cuz if your dog doesnt like the crate...she is going to associate the crate with the cat...

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Where did you get her? I would also be concerned with that behavior of snarling and showing teeth. The barkin, lunging and hair standing on end could just be excitement but snarling and showing teeth are a bit more serious.

I would work on Leave It, reinforce ignoring or being nice to the cat with treats. Do not have the kids love on her in an effort to get her to ignore the cat. First, it won't work very well and second, it could reinforce her behavior.

Read up on LAT (Look At That) and contact a trainer if you think you can't get a handle on this quickly.

Both Leave It and LAT are things you do with enough distance between the puppy and the cat that it's safe and in the puppy's comfort zone so she is not reacting. If she is reacting, back her up far enough that she won't. The end goal is to be able to be close to each other without a reaction but that will take some time.

Give it more time and, if I were you, think about what you will do if you can't get her to accept the cat. Will you keep them separated for the rest of their lives? Will you rehome the puppy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is my first GSD. She gets along great with the yorkies. I have no doubt that the cat is some of the issue since he got so upset the first time Rose barked and hissed at Rose. I have a trainer coming over tomorrow to work with all of us. He and I specifically discussed leave it and look at that.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Good Luck! My dog is dog reactive and LAT has been a great tool! Leave it, when going by a dog that is going nuts at her, has been invaluable. Leave It in general is a great command. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have a crate, but i have had the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep an eye on the other dogs. We are sitting with the cat on one side and Rose on the other and if Rose ignores the cat then she gets a treat. I will try the towel idea. Thank you.
if you dont crate, i would recommend tall babygates with the cat door at the bottom. have the cat on one side..dog on the other....feed them both their favorite wet food. first far away...but still so they know each other is there..then each day/or when you feel comfortable..move the food closer and closer to the gate.continue to do this....have the dog associate the cat with getting special food/treats.

also....before the behavior starts..redirect your dog with something..whether its food/ squeaky balls...something to get her to look at you right away, and not that cat.

work on the "leave it" command....i teach all my dogs this with all my cats. (i have 3 cats and 2 german shepherds)......my pup gets alittle excited (to play)...i say "leave it!"..he stops....if he still stand close to the cat....i tell him to "go lay down" or "sit"....works wonders when I am laying on my bed and my cat comes up to sleep with me.

another thing to try.......rub a towel on your cat....and put it in the dogs sleeping area...this will also get her use to the smell of that cat.

give us weekly updates on how things are going.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your dog is not cat-safe and no matter what you do, will never be cat-safe. You can either return your dog, rehome your cat, or live forever making 100% sure they are always have a secure door between them.

This is not something you can ever train out of your dog. Was she cat tested before you got her?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts