German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old gsd male--
He likes his chair, and food and even water) to be his stuff.. and his stuff ONLY!

We leave food and water down all day. Preston eats on his own about 2 times a day. When his is eating and any of the other dogs walk by him or get to close..he stops eating.. then 'mouths' them(like, not serious biting, kind of like a warning bite) and like does a moan-y wine, Almost like a growl. He wont continue eating until the dogs are away. Same with water, when he is drinking, he doesn't like the other dogs near him.
When he does this I have put his collar and leash on him and pulled him away from it with an AAPP! I have tried it a few times and it has not helped. And he normally catches on very quickly.
Just to put this out there, he doesn't mind at ALL when I put my hands in his food. Or even pet him around his mouth or up his body. I have done it sonce I got him at 10 weeks.

Now I have noticed he is possessive with his toys, and the dog chair/ bed.
We have a leather chair that we have for the big dogs,(Newfoundland, Bullmastiff and him,gsd,), because we dont want them on our nice furniture. When Preston is on the chair, and the other dogs walk near him(or he thinks they want to take the chair from him), he jumps at them and 'mouths' them and wines/moans. I have gave corrections for this but I dont know exactly how to go at it.
I am afraid it will turn into a big problem.

Has anyone had this experience? What did you do to help the situation?

·
Registered
800 Posts
My 6 month old gsd male--
He likes his chair, and food and even water) to be his stuff.. and his stuff ONLY!

We leave food and water down all day. Preston eats on his own about 2 times a day. When his is eating and any of the other dogs walk by him or get to close..he stops eating.. then 'mouths' them(like, not serious biting, kind of like a warning bite) and like does a moan-y wine, Almost like a growl. He wont continue eating until the dogs are away. Same with water, when he is drinking, he doesn't like the other dogs near him.
When he does this I have put his collar and leash on him and pulled him away from it with an AAPP! I have tried it a few times and it has not helped. And he normally catches on very quickly.
Just to put this out there, he doesn't mind at ALL when I put my hands in his food. Or even pet him around his mouth or up his body. I have done it sonce I got him at 10 weeks.

Now I have noticed he is possessive with his toys, and the dog chair/ bed.
We have a leather chair that we have for the big dogs,(Newfoundland, Bullmastiff and him,gsd,), because we dont want them on our nice furniture. When Preston is on the chair, and the other dogs walk near him(or he thinks they want to take the chair from him), he jumps at them and 'mouths' them and wines/moans. I have gave corrections for this but I dont know exactly how to go at it.
I am afraid it will turn into a big problem.

Has anyone had this experience? What did you do to help the situation?
Your Preston is gonna have to be a tough little dude to hold his own with those bigguns you've got :). What he lacks in size, he's gonna have to make up for in attitude! All kidding aside, he's resource guarding. Maybe you should try feeding him separate from the other boys and giving them each their own chair (place to lounge).

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
How many training classes have you taken with him?

I have a pack of dogs and until everyone is okay with eating with others, they eat in their crates. A few prefer it and go right to their beds. A couple don't mind eating near the others, but frankly it doesn't seem as enjoyable as the ones eating in their beds.

So you have 3 big dogs, 3 little dogs?

I would put them all in their own places away from each other - you resource guard when you feel you need to sometimes - I call it prison eating.

I don't know why Preston, at 6 months, is allowed on furniture, but if he can't handle the privilege, he doesn't get it. No more furniture for him.

You are not a dog - dogs resource guard against other dogs and it is very different from resource guarding from people.

So:
More training classes.
NILIF for everyone.
Clear rules for everyone.
Separating all dogs when they eat - no free feeding if that's what you are doing.
No more "his" chair.

I am not a big Leerburg person, but take a look at his articles and the ones on having a pack - not for the training advice, just to open your eyes about what you have - and get serious about the management of your group.
http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your Preston is gonna have to be a tough little dude to hold his own with those bigguns you've got :). What he lacks in size, he's gonna have to make up for in attitude! All kidding aside, he's resource guarding. Maybe you should try feeding him separate from the other boys and giving them each their own chair (place to lounge).
How many training classes have you taken with him?

I have a pack of dogs and until everyone is okay with eating with others, they eat in their crates. A few prefer it and go right to their beds. A couple don't mind eating near the others, but frankly it doesn't seem as enjoyable as the ones eating in their beds.

So you have 3 big dogs, 3 little dogs?

I would put them all in their own places away from each other - you resource guard when you feel you need to sometimes - I call it prison eating.

I don't know why Preston, at 6 months, is allowed on furniture, but if he can't handle the privilege, he doesn't get it. No more furniture for him.

You are not a dog - dogs resource guard against other dogs and it is very different from resource guarding from people.

So:
More training classes.
NILIF for everyone.
Clear rules for everyone.
Separating all dogs when they eat - no free feeding if that's what you are doing.
No more "his" chair.

I am not a big Leerburg person, but take a look at his articles and the ones on having a pack - not for the training advice, just to open your eyes about what you have - and get serious about the management of your group.
Leerburg | How to Break up a Dog Fight without getting hurt
I am going to go make out a schedule. There are alot of ppl in our household, We need to be on track. I, myself, have Preston, and 3 little dogs. Around the house we have the 2 big dogs and a few little ones.
He has the 'dog' chair instead of a dog bed. I knows not to get on our other furniture. He only gets on this one chair. But I understand that he should't get it until he acts right. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts