1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
She is adorable! Great shot.

·
Registered
892 Posts
So maybe this is a silly question but is this pup a blk gsd or a bi colour? I only ask because I see the slightest bit of tan on his legs and I guess I'm wondering if that is common in black gsds.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OMG! She's gorgeous. I want her, lol!!!

She could turn out to be a black sable? Do a search of the forums and look at some of the photos... It seems they change coloring a LOT growing up from pups, though. Never raised one from a baby myself, always adopted.

·
Registered
892 Posts
OMG! She's gorgeous. I want her, lol!!!

She could turn out to be a black sable? Do a search of the forums and look at some of the photos... It seems they change coloring a LOT growing up from pups, though. Never raised one from a baby myself, always adopted.
I think shes already too dark to be a sable...she would be a light tan at first with some black but not that much black thus far until she grew older (4-5 months I think is when sables start to really get dark but they go through stages of course.).

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Idk.. I think the black sables can skip the light stage: Calling all "Dark Side" people!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Dax went through his light stage. it lasted only a couple weeks though and he's back to mr. dark again.

Looks like the pup the OP has is just showing bleed through.

Dax after he started lightening up...

Dax this past weekend

he's gotten even darker since then. So from what I've seen, they don't stay light for very long compared to their lighter counterparts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
There's another, better, thread showing black sable pups. Can't find it tonight on my iPhone, but I'm pretty sure KZoppa's Dax was in the conversation. Along with a breeder who had produced black sables. Will look tomorrow and post a link. Again, I really don't know, but it really piqued my interest, because I've been a fan of the look of the solid blacks for years now and am trying to learn about puppies for my future investment (several years out), and while temperament will be my ultimate investment goal, I'm trying to become familiar now with the black sable dogs' lines, so I will be able to purchase for temperament *and* coloring. I love the look.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dax went through his light stage. it lasted only a couple weeks though and he's back to mr. dark again.

Looks like the pup the OP has is just showing bleed through.
KZoppa... What does bleed through mean?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZoppa... What does bleed through mean?

bleed through is where a solid dog can have a patch of different color showing through. Usually see it mostly between the toes but happens on other parts of the body as well occasionally.

from another forum as I did a google search since one here wasn't coming up with anything....
http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/196466/2/Color_question_bleed_through

hope that helps explain visually.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts