German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our pup back in January and took him in for his shots in February.
He became really sick from the vaccines and we took him to the vet 2 times, both times the vet gave him antibiotics, but none of his tests came up positive.
After 3 courses of antibiotics, special food and lots of vet bills, we decided to put him on a bland diet and give his body time to rest.
Sure enough, after about 4 days he was back to normal, we slowly transitioned him back to his dry food and he's doing really well.
We haven't been back to the vet since and we needed to order more heart worm medication so we placed an order online, but it asked for the vet's information.
We put in the vet's number and the next day we received a call from the vet.
The vet offered to sell us the meds at double the price saying that if I purchase online that it voids the guarantee offered by the manufacturer of the meds, but we said that we wanted to get it online.
So the vet said that in order for them to fax the prescription that we would need to bring him in for an examination.
Is this correct? or is this vet just making it difficult for me to purchase this medication elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If he hasn't had a HW test in the past year than this is correct.All he is saying is correct so it's a matter of wanting the guarantee or not.Also it only covers if you use it year round.If you don't use the HW year round the guarantee is null and void.Also if you use year round I guess per my sister's experience you don't need to test yearly.Maybe it's just her vet on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we took him in (early February) for the first time he had a HW test and we got 2 months of the HW medication, which we have been giving him. I plan on using it year round, but the vet says even with the HW test and using it year round it won't be guaranteed if I buy online.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
oh Lisa? Health mod?

Is this correct? or is this vet just making it difficult for me to purchase this medication elsewhere?
^ this.

It doesn't even make sense to me. The vet sells the same medication as the online store but when you buy it online that voids the guarantee from the manufacturer? I might just be a computer programmer and not a vet but it does not compute. Def. something to call and ask the online company.

Otto never had a heartworm test until he was over one year old, he was put on preventative as a small pup and kept on it.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
The guarentee part is correct.If he had a test in Feb he should be all set for you to get the RX with out another visit.Unless he is concerned about what ever was making him sick before.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When we took him in (early February) for the first time he had a HW test and we got 2 months of the HW medication, which we have been giving him. I plan on using it year round, but the vet says even with the HW test and using it year round it won't be guaranteed if I buy online.
Run that by me one more time.

The vet gave your 5 month old a heartworm test.

The vet sold you 2 months of heartworm protection.

Now if you don't go back to the vet for more pills, your guarantee is void?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
My sister got the run around from her vet about the guarantee and she called the company to double check and the vet was right.At the vet they will guarantee it's the real thing, online they can't.Just like Frontline Plus can be faked online.You have to look at packaging very carefully when you buy online.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
He shouldn't need another HW test if he had one less than 2 months ago. Sounds like your vet is not being very honest with you.

You didn't mention what brand of HW preventative you prefer. You can get some brands like Heartgard and Revolution (but not all brands) from stores in Australia without a prescription at very good prices (be sure you're looking at the US$ and not the Australian$ price). I've purchased stuff from them before and have always been happy with their products (in fact I used to buy Interceptor from them until the manufacturer threatened to stop selling it to them if they continued to ship to the US).
Heartwormers : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
Pets Megastore : Discount Pet Vet Supplies discount medical supplies for pets

Some peope give their dogs Ivermectin that you can get at most farm supply stores and feed stores ... you have to be able to figure out the correct dosage (and keep in mind that some GSDs are positive for the mutant MDR1 gene).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Run that by me one more time.

The vet gave your 5 month old a heartworm test.

The vet sold you 2 months of heartworm protection.

Now if you don't go back to the vet for more pills, your guarantee is void?
We took him in for the first time for his shots and the same day he started having diarrhea, which just got worse. So we took him back and they tested him for several things, including heartworms.

They gave us 2 months initially because they weren't sure what the dosage would be as he gained weight.

According to the vet, if we don't buy it form a "licensed pharmacist" it voids the guarantee.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
According to the vet, if we don't buy it form a "licensed pharmacist" it voids the guarantee.
From what I've read this is true for some, but don't know if it applies to ALL, HW meds that have a guarantee. I've used Interceptor for 15 years and to be honest I don't even know if they guarantee their product or not.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Thanks for the link Gayle, I have to give Bo two pills 1 for up to 100 pounds and one for up to 20 and the 6 month supply was $53 dollars each. Does shipping take long?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I'm with Gayle, doesn't sound like the vet is being that honest with you if they're trying to get you to pay for another exam just to get a prescription.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Just a thought with what Gayle or who ever mentioned.How long is your puppy going to be the size he is right now? IT may not be in your best interest to buy more than a month or 2 till he is done growing.I know I didn't till this year.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Thanks for the link Gayle, I have to give Bo two pills 1 for up to 100 pounds and one for up to 20 and the 6 month supply was $53 dollars each. Does shipping take long?
It usually takes less than a week, but a couple times it took longer, maybe 8 or 10 days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought with what Gayle or who ever mentioned.How long is your puppy going to be the size he is right now? IT may not be in your best interest to buy more than a month or 2 till he is done growing.I know I didn't till this year.
I weighed him yesterday and he's 50.8 lbs. That's why I thought to get a 12 month supply of the 50 to 100 lbs of the HeartGuard, which is what he's been taking.
His dad is around 90 lbs, so I don't foresee him going over 100 lbs.

I've not been very happy with the vet. They have a pretty large staff and none of them seem to know what they were doing.
When he had diarrhea they did tests and then put him on antibiotics, benadril and imodium. After that, more test, a second course of antibiotics along with special food. Still not getting better, so they gave him a third course of antibiotics and more shooting in the dark.
I wasn't planning on going back to that vet, but I didn't know that 800 pet meds were going to contact the vet for the prescription.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When you visit your new vet (...) have them give you a written prescription. Then you can send that to 800 pet meds.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If you have time I would find a new vet.Maybe just buy the one month supply to keep them happy then switch to a new one.Sounds like my old vet when my dog was sick.I switched vets and in a week she was better and I had answers and refuse to go back to the old one..
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We're in the process of choosing a new vet right now, checking with friends for referrals. I know not to make the same mistake again.

Thank you everyone for all the replies and information.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OK FIND a new vet first of all
I ordered my HW at 1-800 shipped on monday got on Wednesday regular mail.
My vets exact words get them where ever you want I am all about saving you money. There is NO guarantee that HW med will stop it.

My old vet wanted to charge me for a precript!
Please find a new vet this one sounds like my old one all about the $$ and not you or your dog!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts