German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a whole lot of reading, researching and thinking I am ready to take the leap into RAW feeding. We have a 3-4 year old mixed breed dog (Jethro) and will be bringing home a GSD puppy next Saturday (she will be just about 9 weeks) as well as seven cats (our population of cats is constantly fluctuating thanks to dumpers leaving them out on our property :mad:).
So, I bought some chicken to get us all started and am planning to start on Saturday. I am thinking that will give me the best opportunity to really make the switch in a good way as we will have two solid days of not being in a rush to get ready for school/work and not being able to give them all a chance to get a good shot at the adjustment. I'm also thinking it will give Jethro at least a bit of a chance to adjust before the upset of bringing the new puppy into the picture.
So, other than all the great info I have found in reading through this forum (the raw/barf forum is probably the biggest reason I went ahead and joined this site), what are the "gotta know" tips/tricks/etc I need to be sure I have in mind as we set out on this change?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side!

Ezra had no adjustment issues at all to switching to RAW. I did it "cold turkey" and didn't even do the "one protein for 2 weeks" thing before I added red meat (think I waited 2 days!). I'm not advocating that (do what works for your dog & your family), but remember that most of what you see on forums are people that are struggling with some aspect of feeding raw. For everyone that is struggling, there is probably one that found the adjustment to be easy-peezy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
^What Dee said. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I also switched my dog over, cold turkey, although that wasn't my plan. He was a shelter dog and refused to eat. I was going to switch gradually, but by the time he relaxed and was ready to eat, he just started eating the chicken wings I bought. I don't remember any problems, but if there were any, it was just as likely that it was his adjustment to being here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
The biggest "struggle" I found was the good resources for feeding a variety of raw at a reasonable price. I had no problem transitioning a 12 yr old golden/border mix, a 2 yr old GSD with a horrid dental set, and a 6 month old pup. They all took to it joyfully!
I started with chicken leg 1/4's and added in different proteins within a month.
They were adjusted and had consistant poop within a few days of the transition.
For a pup you should get chicken necks, breast meat and some livers.
For older dogs leg 1/4's are perfect to start.
I started my dogs on fresh(frozen) green tripe next and then went with turkey, beef and pork. I also gave canned jack mackarel a few days a week. Now they eat frozen fish different kinds(they won't eat it thawed) If you don't have one already, you may need to add a freezer to your list, ordering in bulk is a huge savings!
Are you putting the cats on raw as well as the dogs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts