German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In about a month I will be bringing home my new GSD puppy. He will be a Czech WL import. I could not be more excited. I wanted to get any added advice on additional things I may be missing while trying to prepare before he comes home. To start, I have two full grown dogs, one is my girlfriends Australian cattle dog mix and the other is my dog who is half GSD half unknown. They are both amazing dogs, very sweet temperament and get along great. My guy was a puppy when he was growing up with my Gfs dog, never had an issue. I have a crate that they sleep in and stay in when we are out of the house. I have a separate crate for the puppy I will keep alongside. I have a crate divider that I will use for crate training to discourage going potty in his crate. I have a flirt pole, leather tug toy, and treats for training. Also non edible chew bones for his chewing needs. I plan to feed him in the crate to avoid meal time issues with the older dogs. I will be feeding him VICTOR dog food both the Nutra pro and active dog and puppy formulas. I will likely supplement with bone broth, goat milk, or a bit of canned food to add moisture to his meals. I will feed 3x per day, morning, mid day and evening. I also have a well renowned dog trainer lined up for when he is of age to learn on and off leash manners, place, extended stay and down, recall, and heeling. I wish to do additional training myself and hopefully join my local Schutzhund club. If that doesnt work out I will pursue dock diving or weight pulling. I am very active but will not let him do risky jumping or forced running until a year old. I am open to all advice and suggestions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Hi all,

In about a month I will be bringing home my new GSD puppy. He will be a Czech WL import. I could not be more excited. I wanted to get any added advice on additional things I may be missing while trying to prepare before he comes home. To start, I have two full grown dogs, one is my girlfriends Australian cattle dog mix and the other is my dog who is half GSD half unknown. They are both amazing dogs, very sweet temperament and get along great. My guy was a puppy when he was growing up with my Gfs dog, never had an issue. I have a crate that they sleep in and stay in when we are out of the house. I have a separate crate for the puppy I will keep alongside. I have a crate divider that I will use for crate training to discourage going potty in his crate. I have a flirt pole, leather tug toy, and treats for training. Also non edible chew bones for his chewing needs. I plan to feed him in the crate to avoid meal time issues with the older dogs. I will be feeding him VICTOR dog food both the Nutra pro and active dog and puppy formulas. I will likely supplement with bone broth, goat milk, or a bit of canned food to add moisture to his meals. I will feed 3x per day, morning, mid day and evening. I also have a well renowned dog trainer lined up for when he is of age to learn on and off leash manners, place, extended stay and down, recall, and heeling. I wish to do additional training myself and hopefully join my local Schutzhund club. If that doesnt work out I will pursue dock diving or weight pulling. I am very active but will not let him do risky jumping or forced running until a year old. I am open to all advice and suggestions.

Thank you!
You do realize this is exceptionally dangerous right?

Puppy supplies, a sense of humor. First on my list everytime:laugh2:
I like big floppy stuffies for puppies. Gives them something to attack and makes a great shield for your hands in the bitey stage.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mentally preparing for the incoming landshark so Ill need some floppy toys to deflect haha.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just brought home my first gsd pup 5 weeks ago, and some things I found to be very helpful during this time so far, are baby gates, treats (I make my own, with liver and my dehydrator), and a camera, to take a ton of photos. They grow way to fast lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts