German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have 3 cats and 2 boxers. We also recently started fostering for our local humane society. We've helped place 4 dogs so far.

The purpose of the fostering was to put off my desire to get a German Shepherd. Can anybody say 'back fire'? thought so.

Anyway, at the moment I'm just researching the breed and preparing. I think in August I'll be ready to start seriously looking around.

I'd really prefer to rescue a puppy. But looking around at the moment that seems really challenging. I'm somewhat hesitant on an older dog because of the unknowns. In particular: I will not have a dog that does not get along with the cats or has problems with the dogs already here.

I've searched for local breeders but they all look like essentially high priced puppy mills. I'm not really sure I want to blow $2000 on a dog. I don't care how well its breeder's name rhymes with wienerschnitzel.

I've also emailed the local GSD rescue about fostering for them but I've never heard anything back.

Things I'm interested from this forum:
references to DFW area breeders that are not puppy mills.
Training tips. I'm not going to be showing or competing. He'll go on walks, mess around in the green belt or park, ride in the car with me, go on trips occasionally, watch tv, etc. Dog/human stuff.
I'm sure there is plenty more, I just don't know it yet.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
"He'll go on walks, mess around in the green belt or park, ride in the car with me, go on trips occasionally, watch tv, etc. Dog/human stuff."

You 'll be a lot busier with a puppy. Socializing and training a GSD is a day time job if you want to end up with an awesome dog.
$2000.00 for a good pup is not too expensive. But it requires homework to find them.
What do you mean by the DFW area?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, one thing that is very important is socialization. After your pup has been vaccinated and it is safe to be around other animals, take it to parks, box stores, or anywhere there are lots of people. Places where there are other dogs that are safe for your pup to be around, play dates with friends dogs. Good luck in your search, and please share pics with us when you get that new baby. :greet:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
DFW-Dallas/Fort Worth. If you can find a GSD that has been fostered, they should be able to have good info on whether or not their foster dog likes cats. Germelhaus has puppies coming I think. You might check out MelloDee. You didn't say whether you wanted working lines or show lines. MelloDee has working lines.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really concerned about working line or show line. I'm interested in a pet.

I suspect I'm making this more complicated that it is. We have already raise a pair of boxers who fit perfectly with our family or us with them, whichever. With the boxers we just got them. The first one was given to my wife as a gift from one of her students her name is Sparkles (my daughter was 6 at the time and named her). The second boxer (Hawk) came from Texas Boxer Rescue a year later. Both dogs are awesome and absolutely inseparable from the family.

In May we started fostering for the Humane Society of Flower Mound. Because of our network of friends we have been able to place dogs with new families pretty quickly. The first dog we fostered was a Dutch Shepherd. Great friggin dog and I would have kept him if one of my friends hand not spoken up.

I'll check Germelhaus, but even with 'top line' breeders I'm skeptical. As I continue reading up and learning more about GSDs and dogs in general the less I like breeders. I'm starting to lean strongly toward doing another rescue even if that means the dog is not 100% ideal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planning on waiting a little longer to get our German Shepherd, but fate had other plans.

Keiser's story is sad but not horrible. He is a purebred whose owner had to surrender him because of severe allergies. He was really upset about having to give him up. Keiser has been upset about the changes he has gone through so we have some work ahead of us just getting him comfortable and moved in to his new house.

He is roughly 7 months old. He seems to be pretty well house broken which is nice. He likes having a crate and walks on a leash ok (not great). Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the basics of sit, stay, and come mastered. Pretty good bite inhibition, he like to mouth, but he does apply any pressure. I've taken a dog slobber bath already.

He and our boxers are getting on famously. Can't tell about the cats yet, but things look good. He told me they look fun, but he has only watched them so far.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
He is one handsome boy! Congrats to you! Sometimes fate happens. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts