German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! The wife and I couldn't be more excited to be getting our first GSD-Working Line. The litter will be born at the end of this month and we are researching like crazy to ensure we select the right temperament for our home and provide him/her with everything he/she needs to be well-adjusted GSD worthy of the breed.

I'm trying to scour the forum for any information to any of my questions before I post them to the interwebz.

Cheers!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi! The wife and I couldn't be more excited to be getting our first GSD-Working Line. The litter will be born at the end of this month and we are researching like crazy to ensure we select the right temperament for our home and provide him/her with everything he/she needs to be well-adjusted GSD worthy of the breed.

I'm trying to scour the forum for any information to any of my questions before I post them to the interwebz.

Cheers!
What kind of dogs have y'all had in the past?

Working line could also mean the new pup is a high energy pup ;)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
You just want to make sure you are very clear to the breeders what you want from the gsd, your experience and what plans if anything specific you have with your pup. I suggest looking for a trainer in your area who have and are familiar with german shepherds- for someone to go to learn from.

Land sharks is the best definition. Even grown they remind me of sharks sometimes lol! They are truly the best breed and so exciting. If I’m upset or happy max is always there watching and supporting how I feel I never had a dog that tune with me. My nephew is autistic and when he gets to pacing Luna is right there to nudge with her nose to get him it out of it. She is always with him -all so natural. I can write pages and pages of the amazing experiences I have had with these dogs and the joy that they bring to the entire family. All that land sharking will pass and so many learning experiences and great times ahead! Congrats!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I definitely will try what wolfy dog suggested with the next pup. :thumbup: I really liked the first two nights part. Even with what she suggested I always think its a good idea to take some time off that first week or at least try to time it to where you can have a 3 day weekend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I don't get it...haha

What kind of dogs have y'all had in the past?

Working line could also mean the new pup is a high energy pup ;)
My wife grew up with a jack russell. This will be my first dog. Been waiting for a GSD ever since I was a little boy and we finally bought a house and are no longer subject to breed/weight restrictions by apartments. I like to say I bought the house for our pup :)

I'm hoping to get a pup that scores 3/4's on the volhard test. Even though this is my first time as a dog owner, I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible. From what i've seen so far, I want a working line so that we can potentially enter into IPO, and if not, I believe a higher drive pup will suit the needs of the family better, i.e., better propensity to learn commands/engagement with the handler and help protect the family. I'm wanting to spend a lot of time engaging with the dog and taking him through as much obedience, agility, and protection training as possible.

To OP have you heard of Landsharks?
Haha no, but since seeing this post, I've seen lots of other references.

Now that you've had the fear of GOD communicated to you in no uncertain terms, LOL, I'd add this thread to help you and your puppy get some restful sleep...

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/726626-first-nights-so-you-sleep-well.html

Congratulations BTW, on the new puppy! They are sooo much fun to have around!
Thank you and thank you!

You just want to make sure you are very clear to the breeders what you want from the gsd, your experience and what plans if anything specific you have with your pup. I suggest looking for a trainer in your area who have and are familiar with german shepherds- for someone to go to learn from.

Land sharks is the best definition. Even grown they remind me of sharks sometimes lol! They are truly the best breed and so exciting. If I’m upset or happy max is always there watching and supporting how I feel I never had a dog that tune with me. My nephew is autistic and when he gets to pacing Luna is right there to nudge with her nose to get him it out of it. She is always with him -all so natural. I can write pages and pages of the amazing experiences I have had with these dogs and the joy that they bring to the entire family. All that land sharking will pass and so many learning experiences and great times ahead! Congrats!
I'm in the Northern Virginia area and it looks like there's a good amount of trainers out here, including some IPO clubs. Definitely wanting to learn from someone. So far i've been studying Michael Ellis and will have to buy some of those leerburg dvd's. That's a really sweet story btw

I definitely will try what wolfy dog suggested with the next pup. :thumbup: I really liked the first two nights part. Even with what she suggested I always think its a good idea to take some time off that first week or at least try to time it to where you can have a 3 day weekend.
That's a great idea! The plan is to take off as many days as possible the first week.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
How exciting to look forward to your new puppy. It will be overwhelming at times, just like parenting kids, but totally worth it.
Good to take time off but teach him to be alone from day one every day so if you go back to work, it won't be a shock.
(This is also important when kids go back to school. Many dogs have problems with that after a long summer of fun)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Of course you don't get it. Because you never owned GSD puppy!

For next 3 months your hands will be looking like this. :wink2:
I was looking, but couldn't find, the emoticon that did the LOL while waving a flag. This is what I was referring to in my first post, don't let them scare you! What's a few pints of blood between friends? Paper towels or rags that are handy at all times will be your friend for a bit...

Your puppy WILL do these things to you, but, you won't even mind because they are sooo much fun, and you'll see soo much potential. Yeah, but buy the chain mail gloves LOL!

Reactions: andywhite

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Your arms and hands do not need to look like that picture. I have raised these land sharks but never did they get the opportunity to maul me like that. I did wear jeans and shoes with socks (!!) though and you have to be just one step ahead of those teeth.
They maybe cute puppies but you can get nasty infections if you let them bite you like that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My wife grew up with a jack russell. This will be my first dog. Been waiting for a GSD ever since I was a little boy and we finally bought a house and are no longer subject to breed/weight restrictions by apartments. I like to say I bought the house for our pup :)

I'm hoping to get a pup that scores 3/4's on the volhard test. Even though this is my first time as a dog owner, I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible. From what i've seen so far, I want a working line so that we can potentially enter into IPO, and if not, I believe a higher drive pup will suit the needs of the family better, i.e., better propensity to learn commands/engagement with the handler and help protect the family. I'm wanting to spend a lot of time engaging with the dog and taking him through as much obedience, agility, and protection training as possible.
I'll be honest it will not be easy if this is your first dog, but it won't be impossible.

Be loving, but firm. Have lots of patience. Give him/her lots of exercise. I don't think a higher drive pup would be better at training or protecting. GSD's are naturally quick learners and very loyal to their families.

If you have young kids always supervise them and the puppy together. Both could hurt each other without meaning to.

Remember your the alpha. Use positive reinforcements. In addition to exercise spend lots of time with your pup. All dogs like some amount of cuddle time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts