German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stocked the freezer and pantry in case there will be a quarantine or whatever issue. Ordering for Deja an extra box of Honest Kitchen and keeping her freezer full. Also good prep for an earth quake since we live on a vault. How are you guys dealing with it?

·
Registered
538 Posts
We grow most of our food so our freezers are stuffed with garden produce. We buy meat for the dog in bulk and that's in good supply at this point. We have other animals, too, and I think we have plenty of food for them as well. So right now, we have done nothing different.

I suppose we should stock up on bleach. We use it daily to disinfect counters, sinks and feeding bowls, so we always have some on hand. It couldn't hurt to have more.

I think it's a good idea to be prepared. If you don't need it, that's great, but if you do and don't have it, it could be awkward, to say the least.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
I'm not doing anything crazy. The longest you would be quarantined is 2 weeks and the most we'll run out of is milk and bread. No reason family can't drop those items off on the porch. We have freezers full of food, enough personal products to last that long. The only thing I really need to stock up on is meds we use (OTC and prescription). Again, family can refill and drop off as needed.

People are over reacting and cleaning out the shelves unnecessarily.

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
I think if we have any problem it might be in lack of production if factories are short staffed or slow downs in transport.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have four months of THK. They had a sale. It was not for the virus but because I saved a boatload of money. I have two months of prescription food which I always keep on hand in case of emergencies, plus bottled water and extra paper products. I buy those in bulk, so I always have extra on hand. But that is standard for me. We also have emergency supplies, plus the usual freezer. The only thing I might run out of is junk food, which I don’t need anyway. I think I have enough flea meds. That is the only thing I tend to run low on. I have extra large Advantage which I can’t use anymore on my full size dog, so I’m using half each month on my petite girl. I hope that is alright to do.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I have extra large Advantage which I can’t use anymore on my full size dog, so I’m using half each month on my petite girl. I hope that is alright to do.
Yep, but it's a little more complicated, depending on the weight.

The 88-110 pound tube of Advantage Multi is exactly double the volume of the 10-55 pound tube. Our rescue keeps a small stock of the 10-55 pound size for juvenile dogs, and when we get an extra large 100-pounder, we use two tubes (we see far more juveniles than 100-pounders so it just works out better for us). It should work the other way by using half of the big tube, as long as the dog is under 55 pounds.

HOWEVER, if your dog is over 55, you'd need to covert her weight into KG and read the package insert to do the math for the number of ML per KG, for your dog's exact weight. Then you can squeeze the whole tube into a pill bottle (or old film roll canister, if you have those around), and use a needle-less syringe to pull the exact number of ML you need and seal up the leftovers to use next month. Some shelters do this with the biggest size tubes, dosing all the big and small dogs by splitting the tubes according to weight.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
@Magwart She is 44-45 lbs. I have Advantage II for extra large dogs. I divided it by counting drops based on how many drops I usually get out of the large dog tube. If what is left won’t be enoug then I will throw out the excess. But I am sure she got enough last time because she’s had no fleas. I was more worried about overdosing than underdosing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’m going to go stock up on more food. Worst comes to worse tho, these dogs can provide by catching game

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just bought 2 bags of food for my dog! (Not cos I'm panicking... But he's running out of food atm and I had to get 2 to get free delivery). As for me, fridge is well-stocked for once. Except that we seem to be running out of disinfectant wipes everywhere

·
Registered
133 Posts
our small freezer is stuffed full, our fridge freezer is full, fridge is mostly full, and cupboards are also full. I have a 1/2 full propane tank (from our camper) to use as well. We didn't do this out of panic, as foster parents we have no idea when we will get kiddos, and we have no idea what they will or wont eat lol. We grabbed some extra non-perishables the other day to re-stock our rice/noodle supply (our girls LOVE spaghetti). We had just purchased a 40lb bag of dog food, but i stopped by the store and got an extra bag the other day. This will gives us a month's supply of dog food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts