German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 2 year old has always had problems keeping weight on. I don't think he can eat enough to keep up with his activity level.
At one point he was eating 6 cups on Canidae a day. . . still on the thin side.
I switched him to 4 cups a day Solid Gold Millenium, he's still on the thin side
Then, I switched him to EVO Red Meat and after a few months, he decided he doesn't want to eat that anymore
So, I switched him back to Solid Gold Millenium but his appetite is still lacking and you can see his ribs and feel his spine. We train a few days a week, and he is very active at home.

I want to swtich to Raw but still uneasy about the exact ratios, all the supplements, vitamins, probiotics, etc.

I think I have a plan, what if I feed him Columbia River Natural Pet Food premade Raw mixture instead of finding and buying my own RMB's?
Columbia River Natural Pet Food

I've read that you shouldn't mix kibble with Raw because of the digestion of corn/wheat, but can I mix 1 lb of the Raw chubb with 1 cup of Solid Gold Millennia per meal?

I have also started adding Vibrant Pets to his food.

I'm just overwhelmed. I want to start, but I need to start the easiest way and I found a retailer who sells Columbia River Raw in my area for $1.35 lb
What is the best way to feed him this Raw diet? Just the Chub? Chub with Kibble? Is Vibrant Pets enough supplements or do I need to add more?

Thanks in advance. Making this switch is definitely not easy

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I mix premade raw and kibble. the kibble I feed is grain free but the homemade I use has grain. Rafi's doing great on that combo.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
There are others here that feed a mix of kibble and raw. I think the prohibition on mixing those foods is unfounded.

$1.35 a pound for all the varieties of Columbia River? If so, that's a bargain for the non-chicken ones.

But back to your original question. Is there reason to think that the Columbia River food will put weight on your dog when other foods didnt'? Is it because you think he'll eat lots more of this food? By volume, raw meat diets aren't that calorie-intensive. They are mostly water. I'd look at the calories in this food (if you can get that info from the distributor) and compare to the calories of the other foods you've fed and try to do a little math to see if this new proposed diet is significantly more calories per day than before. Putting weight on is all about calories, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good point Luca. He has trouble keeping weight on, and then it's compouded by not wanting to eat. . . then the bribing with wet food in his kibble started and now I have a picky eater who just won't eat. He will and has skipped an entire day of eating before, then he throws up bile. But give him some Merricks wet food and he'll lick the bowl clean and wait for more.

The $1.35 lb was just for Chicken, sorry.
Any person opinions on Columbia River?

If I give him 1 cup Columbia River Chicken Chub, 1 cub Solid Gold and 2 scoops Vibrant Pets, per meal, two times a day. . . is this a wholesome, healthy diet?

Honest opinions welcomed, please.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I LOVE Columbia River, it's what I use with Dante.
Sometimes I mix it with kibble, sometimes I feed it straight.

I'm not feeding as much raw as I used to, but he's always done very well with the Columbia River. Also met Sandy, very nice lady.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Unless your dog has a sensitive stomach I really don't see a problem with feeding both at the same time.

I know all but my Cocker would eat around the kibble. The Cocker eats anything not nailed down.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I mixed in the Red Meat mixture into his kibble last night and this morning and he loves it. He ate very slowly but he devoured it and would go back to his bowl to lick it and look for more.
His stool seemed normal today too.

We just might have some sucess on putting weight, keeping weight on and keeping him interested in food

1 - 8 of 8 Posts