German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gsd is coming 9 months and is currently 60lbs. a little small but shes still big. at my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. we go over there quite often and she plays with Boston terriers. lets 12 week old pups crawl all over her and isnt mean. she thinks she weighs 10lbs and wont play with dogs her size. everything was going great until my boyfirend's brother and girlfriend came. his brother has a 6 year old son that i believe to be a little slow. my dog hasn't been around kids too often but she is good natured. she sniffed him and went he went to play in the back yard she followed. she sensed he was a kid and was sort of watching over him, typical trait of course. well his girlfriend put her arms around the boy whom she doesnt like, and jasmine saw her and gave a little growl gruff. no teeth, lasted about a second and she was wagging her tai.l she is very voicterious (excuse my spelling). when she dis approves, is hungry, wants attention, etc. she didnt approach them, it was a more, " hey i see you touching him, and im watching you" she is very protective. she then yells at my dog and tells the boy to get away from her. i called her and i was like you can shoo her. i meant as in go away not physical. she says well, ill kick your dog weather or not you agree with it or not. she then turned around and said well, she has long hair and he has allergies and i dont want his mom to yell at us for playing with the dogs. but he was allowed to play with the boston terriers and a beagle. she then "shooed" my cousins dog a lab/shep/akita mix who is 68lbs away. saying the same thing. is it just me or will pretty much beagles boston terriers and gsds make allergies come out. they all have fur. and the mix didnt have long hair. my dog isn't vicious and nether is my cousins. why wouldn't you let him pet the dogs? what 6 year old kid doesnt want to pet dogs regardless of their size. everytime the boy got near our dogs shed yell at him to get away. and furthermore i am appalled that she would outwardly kick my dog for trying to protect a child. i could understand if she was barking and growling and bearing teeth. but as she made the noise, she was wagging her tail. so what if my dog is big, she shouldn't be dubbed as vicious and would be kicked because she is big.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
If someone kicks my dog..it's not the dog they need to worry about. Sounds like she was just being a piece of work.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got so angry. i am not confrontational, so i took her inside and walked away. we left shortly after. it just blew my mind that someone could kick a dog that wasnt attacking someone or something. and then she came out with i could never have kids these kids are driving me nuts. well, there you go. she could sense your anger with him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Anyone who kicks my dog had better had road runner in their blood. Wont tolerate it. You beat my dog, i beat you. She doesnt sound real smart.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I kicked my in-laws dog tonight so this may not be the thread for me,lol. If your dog did not hurt the child I think kicking was obviously overboard, but if a dog growled around my kid I am not sure I would want my child having contact with them either to be safe. You know your dog, but she doesn't. A growl signifies the dog is not happy about a situation and this woman not knowing your dog was just trying to keep her kid out of harms way. The growl could have been directed at a number of things, but unless it is your dog reading another dog can be harder especially for those not familiar with dog behavior. Next time I would keep your dog away from her child to avoid any more unpleasantness. I know thats a pain believe me, but sometimes in other people's homes you have to suck it up to keep the waters calm and avoid unnecessary drama:)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i mean i took her in the house and out her in a spare bedroom to keep anymore happenings from going on. and then we left shortly after having a conversation with some other family. and i can see that she doesnt know my dog and i can take that into consideration. but her tail was wagging, she had let the boy pet her and followed him around no barking, she didnt try to bite. but everytime my cousins dog was around the boy after my dog was put up no matter if he was giving the child kisses or letting him pet him she was outraged. my dog is over my boyfriend's parents house atleast 2x a wee

·
Registered
535 Posts
A) I think the word you wanted was VOCAL :eek:)
B) I would have round-housed ms snot nose to the head and told her she was giving me allergies !

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Guess you did the right thing by getting out of there. Don't you just love the holidays??
Amen

Our family is broken because my younger son's dog growled and snapped at my older son's smaller dog. My older son went on a long abusive rant and even after my younger son apologized several times he wouldn't stop ranting. He was getting very abusive and when their mother stepped in to say 'enough' the older son started disrespecting his mother. I happened to be out of the house walking our puppy GSD and got the tail end of it. When older son continued I said enough, time for everyone to leave (they are in their 30s). This happened last Christmas and we haven't healed yet. In the meantime, both of their dogs have passed away.

Love families at holidays? bah humbug!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Amen

Our family is broken because my younger son's dog growled and snapped at my older son's smaller dog. My older son went on a long abusive rant and even after my younger son apologized several times he wouldn't stop ranting. He was getting very abusive and when their mother stepped in to say 'enough' the older son started disrespecting his mother. I happened to be out of the house walking our puppy GSD and got the tail end of it. When older son continued I said enough, time for everyone to leave (they are in their 30s). This happened last Christmas and we haven't healed yet. In the meantime, both of their dogs have passed away.

Love families at holidays? bah humbug!
That's just about the most tragic story I've heard. A year is too long and a shame. I hope you all can be reconciled some day soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
PaddyD, I can relate to your problems. My grown daughter and son argued this summer, and she also was very rude to me, and it was also somewhat dog related. We are trying to get back to normal, but it does take time to heal. Stay in touch, and give it time.

·
Registered
27,268 Posts
About 12 years ago, my son was 6. My parents had a terrier mix(60#) and he was a senior. My son did nothing to provoke Pepper and Pepper nailed him in the arm at a Christmas gathering. I witnessed it. My DH got really PO'd over it and it put a rift in the in-law relationship for a while.
WE all understood Pepper was not feeling well and the stress of everyone at the house put him over his limit. But the kids should not have been around Pepper and Pepper should have been placed in a quiet area while the family was over.
I never blamed Pepper, my son was not afraid of dogs after that.
Things can be blown out of proportion or put in prospective. Dogs are dogs, not human after all!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
This is exactly why I didn't bring my GSD to Kentucky with me to visit my parents. I find it very interesting that when people witness small dogs being vocal they think it's cute. But put a few inches and pounds on a dog and now they are being aggressive.

My daughter is visiting us now from Louisiana. She was afraid of Hondo (who has never given her reason to be afraid). The difference this time is I'm making her feed him, walk him, play with him. Actually - Thanksgiving day was my daughter's birthday. I woke her up by telling Hondo to tell his sister "Happy Birthday!" I then gave him the hand signal to load. He jumped on the bed and laid on top of her. When she started squealing (Hondo wieghs 90lbs) he began licking her face. They love each other now. At this moment she is attempting to teach him new tricks.

When I'm a guest at someone's house, I'll respect their rules. When they are a guest at my house, I'll respect their abilities to interact with my animals. Unless of course it's my kid, then she still has to repect my wishes and love all the critters that call my house home.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
This is exactly why I didn't bring my GSD to Kentucky with me to visit my parents. I find it very interesting that when people witness small dogs being vocal they think it's cute. But put a few inches and pounds on a dog and now they are being aggressive.
I experience this all the time and I hate it. There's a really nice pet store very close to where I live, but the people who work there have this aggressive miniature pinscher they let roam around the store off-leash. Right when you walk into the store, the dog runs at you growling and barking. Then it stalks you around the store growling at you and completely freaks out if you try to interact with it to calm it down. They think it's harmless because it's so small. If it was a big dog, animal control would probably be called!

I don't go there anymore because I'm afraid that thing is going to bite me, and I don't like being growled at while I'm shopping. They also have a sign that says, "Pets are welcome" but there's NO WAY I'd bring my dog in there.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree, if someone kicked either of my dogs..it would be on like donkey kong! People are so rude!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
people sometimes dont relize our cats and dogs are as much our children to us as there real children are to them. i fired my tax man last year for picking my cat little bitty up by the scruff for getting in his way as he was taking our info. should hav seen the look on his face as i showed him the door...

·
Registered
41 Posts

sorry, had to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts