German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hate to be the buzz kill --when so much is unknown I would attempt to know something .

the sire could be one of those massive (comparative to the female's frame) skull of a bully breed.

you don't know how this female was taken in -- what vaccinations she was given out of precaution ,
such as an unnecessary doubling up of rabies .

previously I mentioned a mild tea of red raspberry leaf , which is a aide to an easier delivery ,
acknowledged by de Bairacli Levy , M Goldstein, M Zucker , Pitcairn and Billinghurst .

it is not a drug .

Billinghurst , well thumbed copy that I have in my well stocked personal reference library states
quote " I have two other tips which when combined with the natural diet will help your bitch give birth more
easily .
The first of these is to feed vitamin C throughout the pregnancy . For a 20 kg bitch feed at least 500 mg twice daily"

interjecting my own thoughts here -- Vitamin C , sourced from whole food , complete and natural , should be part of a daily diet . Too important , too protective and too preventive to discount !

continue with Billinghurst quote "the second is to feed red raspberry leaf tablets during the last third of a pregnancy. For a 20 Kg (44 lb) bitch , give two tablets daily."

That is probably about the size and weight of your little beauty .

You can get red raspberry leaf tea -- make a mild or dilute "tea" and have available as the drinking water .

Another thing is that when birth is close the female will stop eating -- will pass fecal waste . This gives the birth canal more room for pups to pass . You may want to provide mildly laxative diet --- give her some fresh liver .

check her temperature -- 37 C -- things should start

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thank you all for your input and especially, JonRob, for your offer to pay for the X-ray if needed. That is very generous but is not necessary although we greatly appreciate the thought.
As I stated before, she has not been in hard labor (pushing or contractions) AT ALL and is showing no cause for concern other that the typical discomfort of being pregnant. She has all the signs of "prelabor" but with first time mamas, that can last longer.
At the first sign of straining or pushing with no results, we will get her to a vet and get x-rays and any other needed medical treatment.
Honestly, I GREATLY appreciate all your input, advice and encouraging notes so please keep it coming!
I will keep you posted...hopefully we will have healthy puppies soon!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
"As I stated before, she has not been in hard labor (pushing or contractions) AT ALL and is showing no cause for concern other that the typical discomfort of being pregnant."

Good pregnancy management means you evaluate obvious risk factors so you can prevent causes for concern from developing. You don't sit around waiting for causes for concern to develop.

Any small or medium size pregnant dog with an unknown sire is at obvious risk for having babies that are too large for a vaginal delivery. Any such dog should have an X ray when it becomes clear that she is getting close to delivery.

**** Removed by Admin ****

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
MODERATOR WARNING

Ridiculing and making sarcastic remarks when someone disagrees with your opinion is against forum rules.Move on or PM each other.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Thank you all for your input and especially, JonRob, for your offer to pay for the X-ray if needed. That is very generous but is not necessary although we greatly appreciate the thought.
As I stated before, she has not been in hard labor (pushing or contractions) AT ALL and is showing no cause for concern other that the typical discomfort of being pregnant. She has all the signs of "prelabor" but with first time mamas, that can last longer.
At the first sign of straining or pushing with no results, we will get her to a vet and get x-rays and any other needed medical treatment.
Honestly, I GREATLY appreciate all your input, advice and encouraging notes so please keep it coming!
I will keep you posted...hopefully we will have healthy puppies soon!!!
I am sure you have already done this but if you haven't it might be worth reaching out to your vet and having a discussion about the possibility of issues. Just so there is a back up plan in place.
Dogs seldom have pups when it's convenient, so locating after hours services is smart. The only bitch I ever lost in labor was the one that died while I was trying to cut a lock to get to her, but it does happen and I believe in contingency planning. Plans A, B, C, D, E,.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I am sure you have already done this but if you haven't it might be worth reaching out to your vet and having a discussion about the possibility of issues. Just so there is a back up plan in place.
Dogs seldom have pups when it's convenient, so locating after hours services is smart. The only bitch I ever lost in labor was the one that died while I was trying to cut a lock to get to her, but it does happen and I believe in contingency planning. Plans A, B, C, D, E,.....
Yes, thank you...that is great advice. I am in close contact with a few different vets/techs and have the numbers to 24 hour vets on hand. Hoping not to have to use them, but they are definitely there if needed.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hey there!

My girl just had her puppies so if you have any questions still maybe I can help?
Oh my goodness...they are PRECIOUS!!! And mom is gorgeous:)
I would love to hear about her labor/prelabor and signs she showed before she whelped as that is pretty much where we are with Syd.
Thank you for sharing the pictures!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh my goodness...they are PRECIOUS!!! And mom is gorgeous/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I would love to hear about her labor/prelabor and signs she showed before she whelped as that is pretty much where we are with Syd.
Thank you for sharing the pictures![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Well.. for us she got really really .. really needy about 36 hrs before her labor signs even started. And she stopped eating the day before as well. As she got closer she started with the shakes. Then it was just a waiting game. She started actively pushing at 3am. I had actually fallen asleep and she had the first one by herself, and then came and woke me up lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Oh my goodness...they are PRECIOUS!!! And mom is gorgeous/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thank you for sharing the pictures!
Thanks!

Well.. for us she got really really .. really needy about 36 hrs before her labor signs even started. And she stopped eating the day before as well. As she got closer she started with the shakes. Then it was just a waiting game. She started actively pushing at 3am. I had actually fallen asleep and she had the first one by herself, and then came and woke me up lol.[/QUOTE]
Awww...so sweet! Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine did that for about 2 weeks before she had her puppies.

Have you been checking her breasts? You just want to gently press around in each one. They may be warm but they won’t be HOT or anything, and they should be soft.

And it’s kinda weird but if she hasn’t shed the hairs around each one you can gently trim those up for her. Makes things easier on the puppies and for keeping stuff clean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Mine did that for about 2 weeks before she had her puppies.

Have you been checking her breasts? You just want to gently press around in each one. They may be warm but they won’t be HOT or anything, and they should be soft.

And it’s kinda weird but if she hasn’t shed the hairs around each one you can gently trim those up for her. Makes things easier on the puppies and for keeping stuff clean.
Yes, she does have milk and has lost pretty much all hair on her belly and around her nipples. Definitely helpful tips...thanks!!

81 - 100 of 151 Posts