German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Excellent post! (Slow clap) Let nature prevail unless there is a problem. They will be here soon enough, AND there will be lots of puppy pics in this thread.

Why not let it be? All these interventions are not necessarily healthy. We don't know how far along she is anyways. RR tea is still not proven. If it seems to work, it is because labor was around the corner already. Don't underestimate the chemical Oxytocin.
So now I am wearing my Lamaze hat: natural oxytocin causes the brain to produce endorphins which take off the edge from the pain of the contractions and causes the mother to be protective of and bond with her babies. Artificial Oxytocin (called Pitocin for humans) only causes strong contractions but not the endorphins, nor the protective instincts and bonding hormones. I have seen it in the births like these; women have an easier time having the doctors take the baby for exams vs the moms who didn't use chemicals. I assume it is not different for animals. From all the Western countries, the US has a very poor record for infant and maternal deaths. Maybe because of al the interventions and chemicals used in birth? There is also a lot of infant-mother separation that affects breastfeeding. I see it now in dogs as well; handling and weighing the pups right after they come out, drying off the pups with a towel while the mother dog has a tongue for that purpose, using a heat lamp while healthy pups will look for mom's warm body etc.
I have always wondered if taking away the bonding hormones in labor could have something to do with the increase of autism? These birth practices and the increase in autism cases seem to have gone up simultaneously over the years. I am not a scientist; just wondering about the facts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Pups yet??? Waiting along with you...
My bet is that the pups are being born right now :wub:
I wish!! Nope, still preggo!!
Lots of discharge, milk, puppies kicking like crazy, nesting etc. Poor girl is SOOO uncomfortable, but we are just waiting and enjoying these last few days/hours of babies in the belly:)

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Try to take her on a gentle walk a few times a day. Movement is good. What do you mean with 'uncomfortable'? Is she straining? For women in this situation I use position changes to see if the baby can move into a more favorable position. However you don't know when she should go into labor. Position changes for dogs: let her follow a treat in circles, both ways. Bow: butt up and front low, stretches. Be gentle. Lots of loving to increase her natural oxytocin levels. Before the weekend, maybe have an experienced vet or breeder take a look at her.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I wish!! Nope, still preggo!!
Lots of discharge, milk, puppies kicking like crazy, nesting etc. Poor girl is SOOO uncomfortable, but we are just waiting and enjoying these last few days/hours of babies in the belly:)

This dog is the most popular dog on the planet right now! Can you let her know that the suspense is killing us and ask if she wouldn't mind terribly hurrying this along?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Try to take her on a gentle walk a few times a day. Movement is good. What do you mean with 'uncomfortable'? Is she straining?
Just uncomfortable because of all the pressure...those babies are having a party in there:) No hard contractions or straining at all. She was definitely nesting more last night. It seems like she could be in the first stage but its been this way for a few days so maybe she's just getting ready for the "real thing";)
I will go take her for another walk, but she doesn't really like to go far as they are so heavy!
She's just taking her time and making us wait!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Did anyone ever get an X ray to see how big the pups are? Since the sire is unknown, he could be much bigger than she is, and the pups could be way too big for her deliver without a C-section.
No we typically don't x-ray the fosters unless it seems needed (small dog or higher risk pregnancy). That definitely is a valid concern but she hasn't had any visible contractions and isn't straining or in distress at all so I think they just aren't quite ready to go yet (but hopefully soon)! If she seems to be pushing with no result or in hard labor for an extended period of time, we will definitely get her to a vet asap, but for now we are just waiting!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
^Keep in mind that they don't actually know when the due date is, JonRob, im sure if she was in any type of distress other than regular pregnancy discomfort they would go straight to the vet and make sure everything is okay, I do agree that if it keeps up for much longer like this with no pups then x-rays would be a good idea

Can't wait to see the puppies!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I sure wish someone would get an X ray of that poor dog to see if the puppies are too big to deliver without a C-section (God only knows how big the sire is) instead of waiting to see if a disaster happens.
She definitely isn't in any distress and hasn't been in hard labor at all. If there is any sign of anything not looking right, we will get her to the vet and get her an X-ray.

^Keep in mind that they don't actually know when the due date is, JonRob, im sure if she was in any type of distress other than regular pregnancy discomfort they would go straight to the vet and make sure everything is okay, I do agree that if it keeps up for much longer like this with no pups then x-rays would be a good idea

Can't wait to see the puppies!
Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I sure wish someone would get an X ray of that poor dog to see if the puppies are too big to deliver without a C-section (God only knows how big the sire is) instead of waiting to see if a disaster happens.
This isn't the first bitch, not even the first rescue bitch, to have the whole forum on the edge of our seats. I have faith that at the first sign of any distress Syd will be bundled into the car and rushed in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
"If there is any sign of anything not looking right, we will get her to the vet and get her an X-ray."

That is not what you said before:

"If she seems to be pushing with no result or in hard labor for an extended period of time, we will definitely get her to a vet asap"

Hard labor for an extended period of time! At which point how many puppies are dead and possibly the mom is dying and too late to save her.

Waiting to see if a disaster happens instead of getting something as easy as an X ray is lousy pregnancy management when you don't know how big the sire is. This is not a carefully planned pregnancy with a known sire. The fact that you don't know the due date has nothing to do with it. If the X rays show puppies that are too big for a vaginal delivery, you can make sure she gets a planned C-section, not a last minute "Holy ****! The vet isn't in, or a snowstorm just hit, or my car just broke down, etc!" disaster.

If money is the issue--as it usually is with rescue groups--my girlfriend and I will pay for the X ray. Just let us know the vet and we will give them our credit card info to pay for it.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts