German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You better! Lol.
lol I will!

a Lamaze instructor - lol - I mean , huff huff huff huff -- two kids , both Lamaze.
I had a friend from New York who was at the forefront in introducing Lamaze in the Toronto area.

what does the dog need?

she needs a private , quiet , area where she can relax and feel secure .
animals birthing remove themselves , become a bit secretive . Quiet means
that there aren't dogs barking outside or having a party indoors .

she needs an area which might have a source of heat directed on her -- brood lamp suspended
above area and appropriate distance -- even temperature zone

she needs the room warmed .

she needs a source of water available --- some like to give water and a bowl/bucket with pedialyte

put down a layer of newspapers in case she needs to void her bladder -- little dribbles when there is
pressure from a pup entering the birth canal.

good luck !
Thank you for all this info! I don't have a heat lamp as I've heard of dogs getting burned on them, but do have a space heater set up in her whelping room outside of her box. Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
a heat lamp - brooder infrared lamp securely 3 suspended over the whelping area -- all cods and plugs and outlets safely
out of reach of the dogs , lamp high enough , maybe 3 feet above a standing dog to have constant radiant warmth ..

by raising the lamps height you get instant temperature control .

you are not heating the room so if the dog is too warm she can move to a cooler spot - can't do that if the entire room is too warm

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/infrared-brooder-lamp/A-p2470016e this type avaiable at your co-op or tractor store

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
a heat lamp - brooder infrared lamp securely 3 suspended over the whelping area -- all cods and plugs and outlets safely
out of reach of the dogs , lamp high enough , maybe 3 feet above a standing dog to have constant radiant warmth ..

by raising the lamps height you get instant temperature control .

you are not heating the room so if the dog is too warm she can move to a cooler spot - can't do that if the entire room is too warm

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/infrared-brooder-lamp/A-p2470016e this type avaiable at your co-op or tractor store
Oh wow! I guess I was picturing something totally different. I will look into this now. Thank you!

Also, Syd has been very restless today, peeing every 15-20 mins, and just had a lot more white stringy discharge...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I think you are going to be busy tonight! :D
I was almost positive last night was the night, but NOPE lol!!! She is still nesting, lots of discharge, but no sign of distress or straining. She has been staring at her sides, licking her self, and is restless. I think she just wants to keep me up ;)!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Poor syd is still so preggo and uncomfortable. She seems to be showing all "prelabor" signs (heavy breathing, staring, nesting, milk, white stringy discharge etc) but no contractions or hard labor...
Hoping to have puppies by the weekend!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Oh tell me about it LOL!! I have been up with her off and on for 3 nights straight thinking it was "it" every night! She just wants to keep us on our toes:)
As a mom who was 17 days late with one of my human children I feel ya. They come when they are ready regardless of species. Decades ago I had a cat deliver 6 kittens while I was at work all on her own. Nature has a way of working wonderful miracles all on its own. Get some sleep :wink2:

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
She is the most famous dog on the forum right now. Have you tried to really leave her alone? I mean not paying attention to her, listening instead of watching. That horse cartoon is right on. I moved into the barn with a sleeping bag but at 3.00 AM every labor sign was gone and she was calmly eating her hay, nicely dry and no more milk dripping. So....I decided to go to my own bed. 2 hrs later the farmer called; the foal was there. The dog was the only witness. But honestly, I am ready to hear about the pups' arrival too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
As a mom who was 17 days late with one of my human children I feel ya. They come when they are ready regardless of species. Decades ago I had a cat deliver 6 kittens while I was at work all on her own. Nature has a way of working wonderful miracles all on its own. Get some sleep :wink2:
So true! If only they came on out on our time ;)

She is the most famous dog on the forum right now. Have you tried to really leave her alone? I mean not paying attention to her, listening instead of watching. That horse cartoon is right on. I moved into the barn with a sleeping bag but at 3.00 AM every labor sign was gone and she was calmly eating her hay, nicely dry and no more milk dripping. So....I decided to go to my own bed. 2 hrs later the farmer called; the foal was there. The dog was the only witness. But honestly, I am ready to hear about the pups' arrival too.
She HATES being alone so we only leave her when we need to:)

She just had a TON more stringy white discharge after she peed...hoping we're close!!

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Why not let it be? All these interventions are not necessarily healthy. We don't know how far along she is anyways. RR tea is still not proven. If it seems to work, it is because labor was around the corner already. Don't underestimate the chemical Oxytocin.
So now I am wearing my Lamaze hat: natural oxytocin causes the brain to produce endorphins which take off the edge from the pain of the contractions and causes the mother to be protective of and bond with her babies. Artificial Oxytocin (called Pitocin for humans) only causes strong contractions but not the endorphins, nor the protective instincts and bonding hormones. I have seen it in the births like these; women have an easier time having the doctors take the baby for exams vs the moms who didn't use chemicals. I assume it is not different for animals. From all the Western countries, the US has a very poor record for infant and maternal deaths. Maybe because of al the interventions and chemicals used in birth? There is also a lot of infant-mother separation that affects breastfeeding. I see it now in dogs as well; handling and weighing the pups right after they come out, drying off the pups with a towel while the mother dog has a tongue for that purpose, using a heat lamp while healthy pups will look for mom's warm body etc.
I have always wondered if taking away the bonding hormones in labor could have something to do with the increase of autism? These birth practices and the increase in autism cases seem to have gone up simultaneously over the years. I am not a scientist; just wondering about the facts.

41 - 60 of 151 Posts