German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quick update...Syd has started sleeping in my closet instead of on my bed for the past few nights! Think we're getting closer! She is eating if there is pork chop broth (unseasoned and boiled) on her food:) I wish she would eat more, but at least she's eating something. Her belly is definitely rounder now. She is so sleepy and just wants her belly rubbed... I haven't felt puppies kick yet, but hopefully soon although some people say they don't feel the puppies kick at all! With our other mamas, the puppies were going crazy up until the day before whelping!
When did anyone begin to feel puppies kick (if ever)??
I'm just curious since this is her first (and last) litter so that may make a difference as to showing less and feeling the puppies.
Thanks for reading!!!

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Have you tried to observe her for a long time when she is sleeping? From what I remember with my (only one) experience is that I saw movement quite a few days before she had them. But she had 10 and that could have something to do with it. Maybe the experienced breeders can chime in. Are you OK with her birthing in the closet? If not, you may want to set up a whelping spot in a protected corner in an x-pen. My foster dog chose to dig a hole under the chicken coop a few days before the birth and I had to pull her from under there as her determination was major. So before she had them I kept her on leash outside. I feel the anticipation but it will happen!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have you tried to observe her for a long time when she is sleeping? From what I remember with my (only one) experience is that I saw movement quite a few days before she had them. But she had 10 and that could have something to do with it. Maybe the experienced breeders can chime in. Are you OK with her birthing in the closet? If not, you may want to set up a whelping spot in a protected corner in an x-pen. My foster dog chose to dig a hole under the chicken coop a few days before the birth and I had to pull her from under there as her determination was major. So before she had them I kept her on leash outside. I feel the anticipation but it will happen!
Haha, hoping for a smaller litter but she's probably going to have 10 too just because I said that! I've watched her while she was sleeping and still haven't seen anything yet. She has a whelping box/pen set up but she HATES being alone (otherwise she's perfect:)) so I've become ok with her in the closet;)
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have to second or third or fourth that the girl is so adorable! And I'm brimming with anticipation from the suspense. I'm hoping for an update later today haha.

Best wishes for a healthy delivery!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
okay "mom" -- looks like things are progressing.
often not eating is a good sign -- and remember that she probably won't eat for a day or two after

always provide lots of liquid --- goat milk will give her some protein , fat , and minetals
goat milk is not homogenized so is very digestible

are you going to let her have the placenta?

best of luck - and I too am very excited to see the pups --- she is a heart stealer cutey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you all!! I agree...she is very adorable!

No real update but she does have a lot of clear odorless discharge (normal:) and her belly is SUPER tense.

I would love to see your guesses for day/time and how many pups plus how many boys/girls!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
okay "mom" -- looks like things are progressing.
often not eating is a good sign -- and remember that she probably won't eat for a day or two after

always provide lots of liquid --- goat milk will give her some protein , fat , and minetals
goat milk is not homogenized so is very digestible

are you going to let her have the placenta?

best of luck - and I too am very excited to see the pups --- she is a heart stealer cutey
Thank you so much for the info!
Yes, I typically let the moms eat most if not all of the placentas.
She is doing really well so far...I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, no update this morning! Sydney was pretty much normal all night.
Couple questions.
Her belly is very hard. Have any of you had this with your moms?
Also, how long after milk comes in do they typically give birth?
Thank you all!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok...Sydney's belly is super tense and is sticking out like a goat:) She is still eating and puppies are moving.
I've never had any other moms with such hard bellies...anyone have any similar stories?
Thank you all for all your help! Hopefully we're getting close!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
have you checked her temperature?

give her a private room or spot -- you need your rest and she needs her rest -- lot of work ahead.
Checked her temp for a few days but it upset her so since she is with me most of the time I decided not to stress her out. Do you think I should keep doing it? With past preggo moms, I didn't really see a clear temp drop...
She has a whelping box and room set up for her, and she will stay there if I'm there with her:)

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
She may feel your stress. Stress is not good for labor. This goes for humans and for animals. Stop focusing too much on her birth, it will happen! (I am a Lamaze teacher :) )Good example are horses who can drop a foal in a coffee brake when they are finally left alone. Don't forget to have fun with her.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
She may feel your stress. Stress is not good for labor. This goes for humans and for animals. Stop focusing too much on her birth, it will happen! (I am a Lamaze teacher :) )Good example are horses who can drop a foal in a coffee brake when they are finally left alone. Don't forget to have fun with her.
Thank you! haha definitely not stressed...just excited;) Hopefully we'll have puppies before the weekend!
Thank you all for your input...I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
a Lamaze instructor - lol - I mean , huff huff huff huff -- two kids , both Lamaze.
I had a friend from New York who was at the forefront in introducing Lamaze in the Toronto area.

what does the dog need?

she needs a private , quiet , area where she can relax and feel secure .
animals birthing remove themselves , become a bit secretive . Quiet means
that there aren't dogs barking outside or having a party indoors .

she needs an area which might have a source of heat directed on her -- brood lamp suspended
above area and appropriate distance -- even temperature zone

she needs the room warmed .

she needs a source of water available --- some like to give water and a bowl/bucket with pedialyte

put down a layer of newspapers in case she needs to void her bladder -- little dribbles when there is
pressure from a pup entering the birth canal.

good luck !

21 - 40 of 151 Posts