German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
Thanks for reading...I've seen lots of people receive good advice so was hoping maybe we could too! Here's a little backstory:)
Last Monday (3/12), we picked up Sydney, a pregnant border collie/heeler mix to foster through her pregnancy/whelping/puppies. She actually came up on a transport to be adopted not knowing she was pregnant! The rescue did an ultrasound and saw at least 3 heartbeats. They called us to see if we were available again(we had JUST dropped off the last of a litter of 8 after having them/mom for 17 weeks) and the rest is history! She has been amazingly sweet and is such an awesome dog, now we are just in puppy-watch! We have fostered multiple pregnant moms before, but all of them gave birth within the first week or so of arrival. Syd is the first one who isn't as far along and we are so curious as to when she may give birth! I am thinking she has about 2-3 weeks left but was hoping someone may have some input (or want to see some puppy pictures;)
She doesn't have milk yet, but definitely has more development since we picked her up and her nipples have darkened a TON. When she lays on her side, sometimes you can feel lumps etc, but I haven't felt movement yet. She has had clear discharge for a few days. She is definitely tired and is VERY picky (any suggestions on food?? She doesn't want venison, chicken, rice, canned food...).
Anyway, hopefully these pictures will help too!
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sydney is super sleepy today and is licking herself more. She is just so different from the other mom's we've fostered as they've all come with huge obvious bellies and you could easily feel the puppies moving etc. Anyone else have a preggo mama who didn't show too much? Thinking she may be hiding the pups under her ribs... She is about 1 (est.) and this is definitely her first (and last) litter...don't know if that makes a difference:)
Hoping someone will have a similar story as the waiting is SO HARD!!
Here's another pic of the princess;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I can't give you any advice as I've never bred or raised a litter, but she looks fantastic, and what a wonderful person you are for helping her. I'll definitely follow along for updates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what has happened to her appetite?

is she seeking private areas to retreat to

is there any scartching (nesting) behaviouir

has the vulva changed colour , softness

is there any discharge
She is nesting a bit, but is my shadow so pretty much goes wherever I go:) Her vulva is swollen but isn't huge. She's had clear white discharge for a few days...

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
I was in the same situation years ago; waiting was tough as I didn't have a clue when she would have her pups. Got her out of a shelter a few days before she was going to be put down with a belly full of pups (there were 10!). She slept next to my bed. I had a friend who had raised a few litters and she was a great support and came over when the dog started labor in the middle of the night. It was a great celebration. Good luck. She is the cutest dog and will have beautiful pups. Please keep us posted incl. pictures.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in the same situation years ago; waiting was tough as I didn't have a clue when she would have her pups. Got her out of a shelter a few days before she was going to be put down with a belly full of pups (there were 10!). She slept next to my bed. I had a friend who had raised a few litters and she was a great support and came over when the dog started labor in the middle of the night. It was a great celebration. Good luck. She is the cutest dog and will have beautiful pups. Please keep us posted incl. pictures.
Wow...10! I'm hoping for a smaller litter this time;)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I had a foster drop 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I brought her home and neither me nor AC were she had been for 3 weeks had the slightest clue that she was pregnant.
She was one of 3 dogs picked up on an old property. The two males were neutered and she had what looked like a spay scar so no one ever checked.
She had no belly and any odd behavior we attributed to her being a bit out of sorts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a foster drop 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I brought her home and neither me nor AC were she had been for 3 weeks had the slightest clue that she was pregnant.
She was one of 3 dogs picked up on an old property. The two males were neutered and she had what looked like a spay scar so no one ever checked.
She had no belly and any odd behavior we attributed to her being a bit out of sorts.
Wow!! That's crazy!! Did she have ANY signs before she whelped?
Sydney seems to be getting a little bit of a bigger belly now but waiting is just so hard:)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Wow!! That's crazy!! Did she have ANY signs before she whelped?
Sydney seems to be getting a little bit of a bigger belly now but waiting is just so hard:)
Nothing really. She was a bit off her food when I brought her home and seemed to have a thing for closets but we just thought she was nervous from being in a shelter and being separated from her buddies. No noticeable discharge, no milk, nothing noticeable at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sydney seems to have gotten bigger overnight! Her temperature is 99.9. Last night her stomach became super hard and tensed up for about 3 mintues...her ribs seem wider today??? Never had that happen before:)
Also, thanks for all your sweet comments and helpful words...it really means a lot!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
When do the bones calcify in the puppies? She had an ultrasound done 3 weeks ago and the bones were almost calcified...
Well the internet says 42-45 days..... add 3 weeks and it seems you could have pups within the next couple days.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Good luck!!! This is so exciting. I loved raising that litter; one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the birth; trust nature but be vigilant. What startled me was when the mom chewed the placenta off the cord. it looked very scary but she did great without interference. The second or third day (it has been a long time ago) she pulled every puppy, one by one, towards her by the dried cord stump and chewed it off. I was horrified to see her do it but decided that I couldn't interfere and watched these big teeth work their magic, leaving a tiny red spot on these smooth little bellies. The next day you wouldn't even see it. I was amazed at that dog, coming from the streets, probably bred on her first heat, yet doing so well. I kept a detailed journal until they went back to the shelter where they were adopted out the next day. I gave every pup a detailed description for the new owner and my contact info in case they needed to return the pup. I loved those pups with all my heart and still enjoy reading that journal. They have all passed on after 16 years, I am sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck!!! This is so exciting. I loved raising that litter; one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the birth; trust nature but be vigilant. What startled me was when the mom chewed the placenta off the cord. it looked very scary but she did great without interference. The second or third day (it has been a long time ago) she pulled every puppy, one by one, towards her by the dried cord stump and chewed it off. I was horrified to see her do it but decided that I couldn't interfere and watched these big teeth work their magic, leaving a tiny red spot on these smooth little bellies. The next day you wouldn't even see it. I was amazed at that dog, coming from the streets, probably bred on her first heat, yet doing so well. I kept a detailed journal until they went back to the shelter where they were adopted out the next day. I gave every pup a detailed description for the new owner and my contact info in case they needed to return the pup. I loved those pups with all my heart and still enjoy reading that journal. They have all passed on after 16 years, I am sure.
That is such an amazing story! Thanks for all you did for them!
Great idea to keep the journal. The way the momma's know how to care for them naturally is amazing!
We have raised quite a few litters from birth, but all the momma's gave birth within a week (max) of arrival so the suspense is crazy!!
I am going to try to update you all as she gets closer!

1 - 20 of 151 Posts