German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will call my vet and ask about this tomorrow, but it would be nice to ease the mind for tonight if anyone knows the answer to this.

I have been tracking Vega's temperature over the last 4 days, and her temp has been steadily dropping night to night.

10/9/14 9:18 pm 100.5
10/10/14 9:18 pm 100.00
10/11/14 9:25 pm 99.7
10/12/14 9:30 pm 98.5

Is this normal? Best guess as to how far she's along (she's a rescue, unknown time of breeding) is around 54 days. I've been doing one of my other dog's temps as a control as well, just to make sure my thermometer isn't wonky, and he's pretty consistently given around 100.8 to 101 each night.

Is a gradual drop like this normal? Could it be other factors? The first time her temp was ever taken with me was at a vet, and it was 99 on the dot. So I'm guess she reads a little bit low naturally, but its just been such a consistent drop these last 4 days. Would really like to have an idea in my head about what's going on.

Edit to add: should mention that she is showing no signs of labor, has not begun nesting behavior or showing other abnormal behaviors.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Gradual is normal. Wait for the significant drop. 2-3 degrees. Plus besting and pushing!!!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
This is not a consistent drop and yes it is perfectly normal.

The first night was half a degree. The second night .3 degrees. And then you have 1.2 degrees -- this is your mark. At this point she will level off and then come back up and have the puppies. Usually, within 24 hours of this jump.

If you were checking twice a day, you would see a variance between day and night, like 101.2 M, 100.8 N; 101.0 M, 100.6 N; 100.9 M, 100.2N; 100.4 M, 99.6N; then it can get funny. 99.4 M, 98.7N; 98.5M, and then puppies are being born by that evening, and the temp hasn't been taken.

Usually they will hover around 98 - 99 for about 12 hours and then the puppies are born, usually after the temperature comes back up. We do not note the raising of the temp because we are busy with puppies.

I am expecting your puppies are probably on their way.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Gradual is normal. Wait for the significant drop. 2-3 degrees. Plus besting and pushing!!!
I have never seen a bitch drop 2-3 degrees from 98.

Yes, she should be nesting, and you will hear some groans where she is pushing. Lots of panting too, circling. If you haven't had puppies yet, find some books, maybe on line that tell how to recognize if she is having trouble. The big thing is if she is straining/pushing and that goes on for more than 2 hours, then something is wrong.

Having some white ice cream, or some condensed milk on hand to give he in the middle, this can give her some added nutrients and can start labor up again if she becomes tired and stops trying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Even with no other symptoms present? She still has a strong appetite, hasn't nested, hasn't really done anything at all abnormal. At least as far as I know normal to be for her.

ETA, she is sitting on the couch beside me chewing on an antler. She does not seem interested in going to her "area" where she'll most likely be whelping.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Appetite is good. Some never miss a meal. Some do go off food a bit. Do you have a box ready for her? Some will start looking for a place to have them and start crashing up the papers days in advance. Others wait until about 30 minutes before the first pup, the liquid comes out, and then she starts crashing and circling and shredding. Depends on the bitch.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
If it is up to her, she might prefer to whelp on the couch. Sometimes you have to take them to where they most likely will be whelping, LOL!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so everyone can see this

Canine Reproduction Video and Book on Breeding and Whelping dogs by Debbie Jensen for dog breeders and Whelping Supplies needed to deliver puppies.

you have labor starting some time soon

get her private area organized , start warming the room , provide heat lamp . Pups that chill don't do well . They have very poor heat regulation - can't cool and can't warm.

Provide easy to digest foods . Contact woogyboogy for the goat-milk milk replacement that she found . You want to help Vega so that her immune doesn't crash and you want to help the pups .

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Even with no other symptoms present? She still has a strong appetite, hasn't nested, hasn't really done anything at all abnormal. At least as far as I know normal to be for her.

ETA, she is sitting on the couch beside me chewing on an antler. She does not seem interested in going to her "area" where she'll most likely be whelping.
How old is she? I have had a few young rescues, first time moms, who did not seem to realize they were in labor. Also a few bitches who got really clingy, and one who was insistent she was having pups on my bed. They do not seem to appreciate efforts to 'assist' them with finding a safe place.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best guess is she's about 3.

No news to speak of yet. I saw what looked like some discharge this morning after she went to the bathroom, but have seen nothing since. Temp is at 99.1

No behavior change, no nesting still, strong appetite.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discharge is concerning. Can you discribe the discharge. Your dog is 3 degrees lower than the typical temperature for dogs. Are you absolutely sure she has puppies in her? Could it be a false pregnancy? They can gain weight, nest, produce milk with a false pregnancy.

Sometimes a week or so before a litter is born, the dam has some mucus-like discharge, and if clear it is not abnormal. But for the most part, what we want to see is some watery liquid coming out, and within 1/2 to 1 hour a puppy being born. Any foul-smelling or dark liquid prior to birth is, I think an emergency.

If a litter is very small, it may not produce enough to begin the labor process. Have you x-rayed her to see what you are dealing with?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
agree selzer , didn't want to alarm atravis . Description of discharge, color , odor , would be helpful. I believe this is a little early as far as expected whelping date. I would take to vet , if nothing happens overnight , and check to see that you don't have a pup or pups that deceased that are starting the process. The dam has not received proper care until atravis rescued her . The pregnancy was a surprise . The treatments the dam got are probably not undertaken with a pregnant dog .

Find out what you are dealing with and do your best to see it through.

This is where the fenugreek , or red raspberry leaves , come in useful as they are mild uterine stimulants.

Just remember the vet .

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its hard to tell with the moving puppies, seems like there's movement but I honestly couldn't say for sure.

Discharge was clear and mucousy, no color or odor. Came out after she'd urinated.

Had the x-rays done the day I adopted her over a week ago, they were still small but distinctly 3-4 spines/skulls (her bladder was enlarged at the time of the x-ray, vet thought there might be four but couldn't tell for certain because it looked like two might have been scrunched up next to each other).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you. I'll see how she does through the night, and if anything is amiss I'm going to try and get her in to see the vet. Definitely will be calling to ask some questions.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Clear, mucus stuff is probably ok. Had that with my first bitch, probably others, but by then I was probably not looking quite so closely. They called it "the plug."

Watching, and waiting, and trying not to jump the gun is really hard. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts