German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need andy advice on what to look for and how much exercise to give our GSD who might be in the first 3 to 4 weeks of pregnancy.

Change in eating? Ate like a horse in the first couple of weeks then stopped liking her usual food and became picky about the new food I got from the vet.
Resting a lot but still liking to play and do basic obedience when I am outside with her.

Thanks

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
In the first several weeks she can exercise normally. Toward the later part of pregnancy, allow her to exercise as she wants, but no forced exercise. If she wants to go for a walk or run around, that is fine, but don't make her.

Food doesn't need to be increased until the later half of pregnancy. But be careful not to increase too much. Watch her weight carefully by feeling her ribs. Overweight bitches are much more prone to complications with whelping than those who are at a good weight. So increase food as needed to keep her from getting too thin, but don't let her get fat. She'll need more food after whelping when she's nursing the puppies than she does during pregnancy.

Though you said *might* be pregnant. Before planning anything I would take her to a vet for an ultrasound to see if she indeed is pregnant or not. This isn't something you want to guess about, you want to know one way or the other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts