German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I haven't bred in a few years (last was 2009) and we have decided to breed again. Our bitch is 4 years old and very healthy. She is now 4 weeks pregnant and I am at a loss on what to feed her. There are no many new trends now that I want to get suggestions from GSD owners.

I am looking for suggestions on whether I need to buy supplements, switch to puppy food, etc...

Can anyone help? My ressearch has just created more confusion!!
:nerd:

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Lots of breeders switch to puppy food.

I would stick with your regular adult food. Switch to 2-3 meals per day. You can add egg, yogurt or cottage cheese, and fresh meat.

Note: if you supplement calcium (yogurt/cottage cheese) continue to do this throughout lactation. Sometimes people supplement calcium with pills during pregnancy and the body does not work so hard to extract the calcium it needs, then once the puppies seem to be doing well, the breeder stops with the calcium, but the puppies requirement increases with every pound they put on, and the bitch can get a calcium deficiency which can be fatal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I feed raw and kibble (not together), so by 4 weeks into their pregnancy I am adding one extra meal a day, about 20% of their regular meal. My female is now 45 days into her pregnancy and she is eating about double what she was eating pre-pregnancy. Through pregnancy she will eat a lot of boneless red meats by preference.

I really try to keep them as fit as possible, but a bit of extra weight isn't the end of the world, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I feed a performance kibble, so it works well through pregnancy. I do not switch to puppy food, though I do know many that do for the last two to three weeks of pregnancy.

The only supplements I really give through pregnancy are coconut oil and a probiotic.

I do not supplement calcium with my pregnant girl, and she will refuse bone naturally after day 55ish anyways. Only once puppies are born do I supplement calcium. I also feed green tripe regularly and it is very much appreciated by my girls lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts