German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in NE Ohio. From March through October it rains ALL THE TIME. The rain causes mud and depression, and the works. I hate it .

Somewhere between May and the end of September, we normally get two to three weeks where there is not rain, more than once or twice a week. We pay for these days all year long with blizzards, and ice storms, and rain, and rain, and more rain, and flooding, and yuck.

In the winter, it is nasty, but if it is frozen, at least the dogs are not dragging in mud, just moving between the kennel and the house. (kennels are concrete, so the mud is located on a little slip of grassy area between the kennels and the house.)

So having lived here for all of my 41 years, I am pretty much accepting of the arctic temperatures in winter, and the chronic monsoons the rest of the year.

But I utterly reject the rotten rain we are currently having in FEBRUARY!!!

In areas unmosested by dog prints, tire tracks, snow shovels and plows, there is still six to eight inches of snow on the ground. Where things were plowed, we can start to see some concrete/asphault. Where things were just driven/walked over there if 4-5 inches of slush. And then there is my back yard.

Did I ever mention the lunar landscape??? After the big snows, I had to use my ice breaker to litterally dig feet of frozen yuck from in front of each of the gates to my kennels. Inside the gates where boots and paws have packed the snow down, there is still a good four inches everywhere. There are craters where the hot poop dropped and semi melted and then were dug out by my trusty ice breaker. I am still smacking my head on the two by fours above, and the packed snow being rained on is freezing and melting into this slick slurry.

The ice breaker is my life saver. I use it to lean on, for traction, as a staff, as a pooper scooper blade, as a snow and ice mover.

But still, with breaker in one hand and half full poo bucket in the other, my booted feet slip on the slurry and I start going over backwards, catch myself with the breaker or the fencing, and wrench my shoulder's, and arms, get whiplash, and break my rotten finger nails.

Yes, I am [email protected]!!!

So the field is full of craters, melting snow, freezing rain, and mud.

It is February, we should be in single digits!!!

And do not believe that just because all this crap is melting off now, it cannot drop a few more feet on us before April. Nooooo! We can have bliazzards clear through. This spring crap is just a pre-curser to what is to come.

ERrrrgH!

Ok, feel better now. :boy_snowman:

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live here because I know nothing else. My whole family is within two hours of here. So I cannot move. So I am just California Dreaming for now.

Thanks for the hot tottie.

I do love the change of seasons. I do not love having a spring break in the middle of my deep freeze.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, yesterday there was half an inch of ice on everything EXCEPT the mud around the airation tank in front of the back door.

I got EVERY ONE of them outside, let them poop, cleaned it up, and got them in their kennels without getting them muddy OR falling on my butt, EXCEPT Babsy.

Babsy is the one that stays inside all day long lounging on my bed. She pulled a muscle in her back recently, and is spending even more time lounging in a drug induced haze. But yesterday, on her way back in she dropped a paw right into the muddy slop in front of the door.

Of course, I had left the babygate to the lower half of the door open and before my strangled cries of NO WAIT registered, her muddy paw print hit the hallway, the bedroom, her bed, and my bed. Hmmmmph!!!!

Today we are having another snow storm.

They say if you do not like the weather in Ohio, to wait.

Dog class was cancelled today.

I lined up the snow plow man for tomorrow morning.

I will have to did the dogs out again tonight. If we were in single digits, it would be unlikely to have so much snow. Usually just a dusting when it is really cold. The lake is frozen and the clouds cannot pick up as much snow, the snowflakes are dry and small, and it is not very grusome.

When it is warm like this, there are tons of water sucked up, the snow is fat and wet, and it is measured by feet.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i live in Maine and am not happy with the early mud season.......i don't ever remember a february being like our april weather...........it stinks, i would rather have things frozen when they are supposed to be...plus, with the rain and mudd it is NOT good dog weather...........my dogs need to get out but unfortunately i pay the price having to clean the mudd off them when they come in.........So, it appears that we are going to have an extended Mudd season for another at least two months.........ugh! I hear ya.............

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fellow Ohioan here...I feel your pain! The dogs have worn down what little grass we had in the backyard, so unless we've got SEVERAL inches of snow on the ground or freezing temps, it's MudFest '10 in our house! I'm soooo sick of it! I can't keep the floors clean to save my life, and that's just the dog part. I think we've seen the sunshine maybe twice in the last 4 weeks. It's getting so old! I'm ready to plant flowers and hear the birds chirp. I definitely WOULD live in California in a heartbeat - if I could afford the cost of living! ;)

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it is yet another blizzard. Not complaining, but no chance at finding poop out there. No chance.

I dug out every gate last night at 1AM when I brought them in. I woke up at six and let everyone out to potty, then fed them and let them out at eight this morning. I had to seriously dig out each gate again!!! There is a good foot of snow out there. And in front of the gates there are little hills, or big hills, or mountains!!!

Babsy hurt herself jumping up on my bed yesterday night, and peed all over herself and my clean conforter, so I stripped that, the other one was in my car with the muddy paw print, and the third one was in the wash, so.... I suppose I should feel fortunate that I have three comforters. But last night I slept without covers, but with Babsy. I woke up COLD. I found an afgan in the dog room and curled up with that after letting everyone potty.

But here I am at Mom's trying to get some blankets and washing comforters.

I wouldn't mind the mud so much if I was certain this was it...

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Sorry about your discomfort.

I know the NE. Ohio well haveing spent a few years in Wooster a few years ago..# days after we moved in we got hit with a 22 inch Thanksgiving storm and have pics of our female GSD almost disappearing as she ran across the front yard!

Now, however we live in NO. CA -- where people complain bitterly about the "winter" weather when it blows a little with some rain!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I should count myself lucky, I am down in Albuquerque.
But even here all we have had and are going to have is mud.
Since we are 1 st sheepowners we left our ram in with the ewe's last year, so we started lambing January 2nd:eek: in between snow, mud, snow, mud - you get the picture.

I am sick and tired of mud. I do not know what my kitchenfloor looks like any more, I live in my rubberboots, the dogs are getting restless, the Hubby is whining, someone pass me hot buttered rum:cool:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Dude, I'm in Pittsburgh. This month we broke the snowest month EVER in PGH. And this year... broke the record for snowest WINTER EVER. PGH has been around what? 150 yrs?

It is wicked bad this year. The kids are off again today... I think this is the 6th day off and that doesn't count the 1 early dismissal and the few 2 hour delays.

it's cold and gray and brown and white. It's so shitty. Has been since we got Zeva. I try not to hold it against her LOL. We got her Christmas eve, which was nice, and Xmas day, RAINED ALLL day long... since then.. we've been covred in snow. 21", 7", 3-4" on and on it goes.. snow snow snow. We were only starting to see some grass, brown as it were, peaking through the ice packs, but nope, more snow today. Blahhh.

There are piles of snow 10' tall and the roads are all narrow because there is no where for it all to go. Parking lots are like 1/3 less size than normal. Sucks. I've so had it w/ Winter.

Feb is almost over... March I hope will at least make it FEEL like Spring is coming.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is nothing quite like letting off steam about the weather, and people in the Ohio/PA/Michigan area certainly can do so with the rest.

Lambing???? That sounds pretty grusome in mud. Lucky you. Actually, I had bred Heidi and she was due to whelp the first week in January. But we missed. I was having a bit of nervousness about the puppies being totally INSIDE for eight or more weeks. I prefer the situation where they can take themselves in and out after a few weeks. By six weeks, I reduce their inside area to 4'x4', and they spend most of their time outside and this last litter was keeping the inside clean by then. (Days were spent in the outside ex-penned area, just before dark, I would bring them in to the puppy pen and they could come inside from there to the small area.

The problem here is that you never know if it will be raining, sleeting, snowing, flooding, high winds or ice storms; whether you need to start getting the sun screens out, or calling the man to shovel the snow off of the roof.

But we do not have killer bees, fire ants, alligators, poisonous snakes, scorpions, or mountain lions. We have an occasional black bear from PA -- not sure how we know they all come from there, and coyotes, and brown recluses, but so far, I have not actually seen any of them.

It will be Bambi that kills me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am sorry selzer. I complain too but we arent used to THAT kind of cold and snow...but its still miserable for us too. The rain is the biggest thing for us right now and it seems like Spring will never get here!!! (dont worry, i will be the one complaining in 4 months about the gawd awful heat! lol)

sooooo that litter will be coming when??? ;) I should get my deposit ready! :D

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am looking for a litter the beginning of March. They will be ready in May. Here's hoping. I have yet to have a spring litter.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
*keeps fingers crossed for a spring litter*

While I dont know the cold, I feel you on having messed up weather. We had a few days of spring, when they said it was going to snow??? I mean really, im in short sleeves and flip flops one day, sweater, coat and gloves the next day.

It just makes people want to scream "make up your mind!!!!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts