German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Re: Rest in Peace Little Loo

I just found this thread and am so sorry to hear about poor Little Loo.
I don't know why it is, but it has been my observation that for some reason older puppies often get parvo harder than the younger guys. You'd think it would be the opposite - being larger, having more mass etc. would help them through it - yet many of the cases I hear about where the pup doesn't make it, it's not the 6-9 week old guys, it's the 4 and 5 month old puppies.

RIP Little Loo.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

So sorry to hear this. Run free Little Loo.

A rescue friend of mine had pulled a boxer out of a high kill shelter recently. He was 1.5 years old. He was an OS and really skinny. He kept vomiting everything that she would feed him and the last time she took him to the vet, they thought he might have a partial obstruction. They went ahead and started the surgery and he ended up being loaded with stomach cancer. She felt that it was best to let him go to the bridge.

It is so difficult when you try so hard to help a deserving dog and then to have something else horrible happen to them. I hope every single dog is in a better place playing their tails off!

·
Registered
624 Posts

I think one of the contributing factors may have been his worm load. He was loaded with rounds and whips.

When I first took him to the vet on Tuesday, it was because he had a slight cough. He checked out fine, they gave him some antibiotics to make sure it didn't get worse and a heartworm preventative.

Wednesday morning he was fine, eating, playing etc. In the afternoon, he was pooping out a ton of round worms. So when his belly was upset I thought it was the worm load. His stool was still solid. I still took him to the vet though and they gave him subQ fluids and a shot of pepcid.

He was better on Thursday morning, but by afternoon seemed more lethargic again so I took him back in. We gave more fluids and did the parvo test (they sent out so didn't get immediate results). I didn't like the way he was sounding by that evening though so I took him into emergency Thursday evening. Though at that point, I was more concerned about pneumonia.

He never left the emergency hospital - he had deteriorated so bad by today, I can't even describe....

I wish I could go back and start over again....

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

The only foster pup I've lost to parvo in recent years was one that came in also with a bad upper respiratory infection. We treated everything as promptly and effectively as we could but she still died. I think trying to battle both parvo, which is of course life threatening by itself, on top of a respiratory problem is just too much for most puppies' systems.

Thank you for everything you did to try to save him.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss...King Kramer welcomes another subject across the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Our thoughts are with you. You all did the best you could and he's in awesome company. So sorry you had to make the toughest decision ever asked of us.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Terry,
Loo's course was set before your heart took hold, but he needed you and those that helped bring him to you. I know it is terribly hard to endure this end, but you must find comfort in the knowledge that Loo's suffering was lessened because of those who stepped up to rescue him and then those who fought to save his life. ID

·
Registered
9,438 Posts

Terry, I am so sorry for you and this beautiful little boy. I don't see where you could have done anything any differently. I'm very grateful that he was in your loving arms when he passed to the bridge. He'll be well cared for there by the others who have gone before him...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I am so sorry, he was a gorgeous boy, who had so much potential.

I have also seen seemingly healthy pups go done equally as fast and each time it is heartbreaking.

Deepest sympathy on his loss.

RIP, Little Loo.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
So so sorry, bless his little soul, you did the best you could for him.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I am so very sorry..
...you are very loved little Loo!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I am so sorry Echo and Terry

RIP little Loo
It is so unfair that you were taken soo soon.

Try not to what if yourself Terry, sounds like he had a very bad strain on an already stressed little system. I know he had the best of care, it just wasn't meant to be.
Not that it makes you feel anybetter, I know. So many of us have been in your shoes, where they come to us already under extreme physical stress and are just too weak or too sick to fight anymore, sending them peacefully to the bridge to no longer be in pain is sometimes all we were meant to do. You rescued him, either way, from a lonely painful death in the shelter....he knew you, knew love and comfort and in the end knew compassion of the highest form.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So sorry about his precious baby. Thank you for helping him as best you could. Thank you that you did what was best for him, and did not make him hang on another day "to see if he might get better."

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

I'm so sorry.. My heart is aching for you .. So many losses..

Tanya

41 - 60 of 64 Posts