German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes. My GSD puppy Sara, which we just rescued from our county animal shelter on Tuesday is very ill. She started have a diffucult time breathing yesterday, she was not eating or drinking, we took he into our vet, they were fully booked for the day but made time for us. We assumed she probably had kennel cough, not knowing the symptoms since our older dog Sasha has never been ill.

Our vet was not sure of what the problem was her temp was elevated and administered her an IV, gave her the standard bloodwork, a B12 shot, some type of fluid shot the made a bubble under her skin and spread out, perscribed Ampicillin, Calvamox and Tramodal and gave her some weight gain formula food, which they hand fed her. They asked that we return her first thing in the morning were fully booked, wanted us to bring her in before they opened. She pretty much didnt move from the bed the entire day or night, would eat or drink anything, not even hand feeding.

We brought her in this morning and her temp was over 106 and she was in alot of pain. Her heartworn test was negitive. They admitted her for xrays and IV's. Told us they had to send out the xrays to radiology. He called a few hours latter and said that the xray showed some type of obscruction/abcess in her stomach and she is not responding to any of the treatment they are giving her.

He called back about an hour ago and said her temp had gone down a degree, but has gone back up, he was going to operate, he seem to think that something might have been left inside her when she had her spay surgery on Tuesday. I am sitting by the phone waiting for him to call and let us know what is going on.

This poor little girl has been through so much already I am just heartbroken, I am also angry that the shelter did not properly evaulate her, and if it was a careless spay surgery, I cant even begin to say!!

Please everyone who reads this pray for her. Please pray for her recovery, I do not want to lose this precious girl. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Sara. Prayers are headed your way.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers going your way. Have you heard anything from the surgery yet?
Robbie

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm so sorry. I'll keep you and Sara in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing.

Hang in there. Hopefully they will figure out what is going soon.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Prayers are going out for little Sara. Get well soon baby.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Praying for Sara!!

Tanya

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hope everything works out for Sara!!! We'll be thinking of you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I just got off the phone with Sara's vet. Her surgery is done and she is stable. They did not detect any surgical problems from her spay and there is no inflamation in her stomach or intestines. During surgery respiration was good and her temp was 102. Her illness is still a mystery and they are waiting for the bloodwork results. They will continue to monitor her throughout recovery and someone will be in and out through the night. The vet will check on her at midnight. I told them dont hesitate to call, no matter how late.

Thanks to all for your prayers, it is greatly appreciated. I will continue the updates when I receive them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
my sera-girl sends get well wishes to your sara-girl! hoping you find out what's going on and that everything's okay. sending lots of good thoughts your way!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She received a rabies vaccine, and DHPP on 8/12/08.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joy YacShe received a rabies vaccine, and DHPP on 8/12/08.
If nothing can be found, this could be a vaccine reaction. The vets won't consider that option though -- it's not well-recognized in conventional medicine, and they really don't have tools to address it.

How old is she?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our prayers and thoughts go out to Sara and her family also. Get well soon little precious girl.

Jackie

1 - 20 of 83 Posts