German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were practicing leave it after dinner time. It was a little easier for Shasta to resist after she had already eaten. We'll practice more on an empty stomach later. Riley is our 6 year old male and between the 3 we currently have he's our golden boy as far as behaving but he's also had more training. Shelby was busy hiding because she thought she was in trouble when it was actually Shasta who was in trouble so no pictures of her practicing leave. Shelby is also our yearling girl. Shasta is celebrating her 6 month birthday today! Congrats to her for remaining so darn cute we just cant strangle her to death when she drives us nuts!!! lol. babies and kittens and puppies.... if they werent so darned cute, they wouldnt survive!!!

Anyway without further adou....

Riley our golden boy practicing leave it....

You really dont like me do you?

Maybe if i glare long enough i'll be allowed to have the bone....

Okay so glaring didnt work.... i'll try sitting pretty and nice like with my ears perked and being a good boy....

Now for Shasta... our troublesome 6 month bundle of sudden energy!!!

I'm doing this why?

It's so close.... i can almost touch it!!!!

Cant resist any longer.... must have.... the.... bone..... ~sniff~

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Very cute and good job!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!!!! i think for a 6 month old puppy with that decent sized temptation and only a few times of leave it previously, she did very well!!! Riley knows better lol!

·
Registered
195 Posts
i love the last pic.... soooo funny to see her do the same things.... maybe....if i just sneak.....a lil......closer.... mom won't notice.......

·
Registered
164 Posts
LMAO oh the abuse! i love the faces, your dogs are adorable! Thanks for sharing :D

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i love the last pic.... soooo funny to see her do the same things.... maybe....if i just sneak.....a lil......closer.... mom won't notice.......

yeah i love that she thinks she's so slick. As soon as that picture was taken she got a bop on the nose and told leave it. She left it for a good 5 minutes before she was allowed to have it. She sat there glaring at it like it had gotten her in trouble like the look my daughter gives my son when she starts crying after she smacks him lol. Unfortunately i couldnt get THAT picture because my camera battery died. ack!!! gonna try and get some other training shots later after hubby gets home!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Great job!!! They did so well!! The first pic of Shasta her face looks so similar to our Blitz!
So we start formal training next month at 5 months but I have been working with her quite a bit at home, is leave it the typical command for this action? I have just been putting Blitz on a down stay or sit stay and she knows she's not allowed to go for the treat until I say release. When I want her to drop a toy/treat/ something she should not have I say "drop it" but now I'm wondering if I'm not using the right commands because, I don't want her to get confused when we start formal training if I'm not using the universal commands (if there even are any)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job!!! They did so well!! The first pic of Shasta her face looks so similar to our Blitz!
So we start formal training next month at 5 months but I have been working with her quite a bit at home, is leave it the typical command for this action? I have just been putting Blitz on a down stay or sit stay and she knows she's not allowed to go for the treat until I say release. When I want her to drop a toy/treat/ something she should not have I say "drop it" but now I'm wondering if I'm not using the right commands because, I don't want her to get confused when we start formal training if I'm not using the universal commands (if there even are any)

training is all about what works best for you guys honestly. I know some people prefer to use german commands while others i've heard use spanish (learning only enough to teach the dog spanish commands) and various other languages. In regards to the down stay and sit stay, those are also great for teaching but you also want to teach leave it for things they arent supposed to have. Like if your pup is a poop eater and you teach the leave it command, you should be able to say leave it and they'll leave the object in question alone. I teach my dogs stay. Riley is our oldest and he listens better but we also had a guy my hubby used to work with help us train him because he had been training his GSD Schulzhund and his lab was being obedience trained for competitions. Riley has always been very obedient and mostly well behaved except on walks and he see's another dog. Other dogs make him unless living with us make him nervous. I would personally teach leave it AND stay. My dogs have trouble with sit stays and down stays so i just teach them stay. They can lay down or sit as long as they stay. When i got Shelby i had to teach her leave it because she had never seen a cat before and was overly curious about them. So to ease some of the cats ripping her nose to pieces i taught her leave it. It sounds like you're doing pretty good. stay and leave it are naturally two seperate commands but honestly, if you can get her to stay when you put a treat down and she doesnt go for it until you say so, you're ahead of the game. Keep up the good work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts